[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Disfellowshipping. What does it accomplish??

Disfellowshipping. What does it accomplish??

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Re: Disfellowshipping. What does it accomplish??

Postby William Thornton » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:30 pm

My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:51 pm

Just one point of clarification: Being disfellowshipped from an "association" isn't necessarily synonymous with being disfellowshipped from a "denomination." The latter may also occur, but not always. Perhaps not even in the majority of cases.

I realize that in some places, the term "association" refers to a larger group of Baptists, such as a state convention, a region, or perhaps even a "denomination." But not usually. (I think.)
Mark

Postby Howard V » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:25 pm

Disfellowshipping, what ever that is, probably does very little. To make it personal, if FBC Huntsville is "disfellowshipped" it will affect us not very much.

Probably all 3 categories you listed,Tim, are involved to some degree. One needs to remember that the 2000 BF&M is a document for doctrinal accountability - even if the association has NOT adopted it.

We [FBC Huntsville] do missions in a multitude of ways so being "out" of the association would not really cramp those outreaches.

Before you listed the possible "reasons" I thought to myself, control and power, and doctrine uniformity [some people just can't stand for anyone to be different from them].

In a year and a half from now I may have different opinions but for now this is what I think.

Howard
Howard V

Postby KeithE » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:41 pm

Well I told our mssions coordinator about this possibility tonight and he said "Great" we can use those $$ in better ways anyway.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Bob Terry of the Bama Baptist

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:11 pm

had an oped on related topic last week.
Maybe Jonathan can pm his contacts and pursue this matter with anecdotal testimonies.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby Mrs Haruo » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:12 am

I think the main thing Disfellowshipping accomplishes is make Christians (and Baptist churches in particular) look incredibly foolish to the outside world. What a bunch of idiots, constantly quarreling over minor differences in theology when there are people who are hungry, hurting, poorly clothed, lonely, and looking for answers to life's questions. I wasn't brought up in ANY church, and my extended family included free-thinkers, Unitarians, "non-itarians" , daughters of a Methodist minister, --- the main spiritual training I got was in Girl Scouts, where I promised to "Do my duty to God and my Country---- that meant being sincere in my own faith, and respectful to others in thiers-- which meant to me to find out enough about other's beliefs to be able to respect thier customs. I grew up surrounded by people of many races, origins and religious belief (or lack thereof) because my parents, grandparents, and aunts and uncles believed that the more variety you have in your life, the richer it is. If I go into a church and everybody looks the same, thinks the same, I don't last long there. I grew up with four legged sheep out in the pasture. They have warm wooly coats, but not much in the way of brains. I don't have time to waste with two legged sheep. I don't do boring very well. Too much beauty in the world God created to waste time shut up in a stuffy room sleeping thru a sermon, unless its someone with something interesting to say that reaches my heart-- like our pastor who just happens to be theologically well grounded, a fascinating speaker, a heart for service, and a has a gift for getting to the point without beating around the bush. She is a treasure. And those who don't care to listen to her teaching merely because she is a woman are really missing out. Their loss.
Don't despair if your job and your rewards are few, remember that the mighty oak was once a nut like you!
Mrs Haruo

Postby daronlwells » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:43 am

I read this with interest. The most impressive thing to me is that it is a topic that should be more typical of posts on the BF&PF rather than vitriolic political mockery and insults. My compliments and appreciation to all of you.
daronlwells

Postby William Thornton » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:53 am

William Thornton
Site Admin

Re: Bob Terry of the Bama Baptist

Postby Jonathan » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:17 am

"There is a simple way to get corporate money out of politics: get the government out of our lives and economic affairs. If government has no favors to sell, no one will spend money trying to win them." - John Stossel
Jonathan

Postby Jerry_B » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:13 am

To disfellowship a church from an association is simply a move to exalt the bias of humanity. It accomplishes nothing, especially with a church as old as Huntsville. It does point to the larger issue of the relevancy of associations. Ours had been struggling, but is making a bit of headway once again because we have chosen to emphasize missions instead of doctrinal correctness to a human document.
Jerry_B

Postby Dave Roberts » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:36 am

A real question in Baptist life is about the future of Baptist Associations. In a time of electronic instant communications, it's no longer necessary for the association to resource the churches. In the day of multiple curricular options, the association has lost its role as the promoter of LifeWay materials as the only option they can bless. Unless local associations find a meaning in doing missions, their purposes for being may largely erode. We have put a lot of time and money into our local association. The current DOM is trying to redefine its purposes and methods. His predecessor seemed to operate on the assumption that the purpose of the body was to have a DOM.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:22 pm

William Thornton
Site Admin

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum