[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Fantasy on Kingsfold/Starbucks of County Down (hymnology)

Fantasy on Kingsfold/Starbucks of County Down (hymnology)

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Fantasy on Kingsfold/Starbucks of County Down (hymnology)

Postby Haruo » Wed May 21, 2008 3:24 pm

Last edited by Haruo on Wed May 21, 2008 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Re: Fantasy on Kingsfold/Starbucks of County Down (hymnology)

Postby Hal Eaton » Wed May 21, 2008 4:08 pm

Whew!!!
It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry. -- Thomas Paine
Hal Eaton

Postby Neil Heath » Wed May 21, 2008 9:04 pm

That may well be the longest list of hymns I've ever seen where not a single one was familiar. :)

Boy do I feel ignorant, tonight!

Neil
Neil Heath
Neil Heath
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Wed May 21, 2008 10:50 pm

Don't feel bad. I'm a major hymnnut, and I would only call three of those "familiar" in the "old & familiar" sense. Several others are familiar to me because of my hymnnuttiness, but I don't expect that of others. The three that I think are "old & familiar" (and that I'm therefore a bit surprised you don't know, Neil) are

* I Heard the Voice of Jesus Say (though I'd expect you to know it to V D)
* O Sing a Song of Bethlehem (the only "old & familiar" one that is traditionally sung to KINGSFOLD)
and
* We sing the mighty power of God (though I would expect folks more likely to know it as "I" sing..., and I would expect them to know it to a different tune, likely or )

The English folksong that Vaughan Williams apparently arranged to create this hymn tune is one of the variants of "Dives and Lazarus" (or "Diverus and Lazarus"), fwiw.

Haruo
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum