[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Oyster sandwiches

Oyster sandwiches

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Oyster sandwiches

Postby Haruo » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:50 pm

I just blogged about the drive-in.

Haruo
up-and-coming blogmeister
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Re: Oyster sandwiches

Postby Haruo » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:51 pm

I invite discussion of oyster sandwiches. Incidentally, when you order an Oyster Boat at Stan's, she says "It's a sandwich" in a rather discouraged tone of voice. You reply, "I know. I love them."

Haruo

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:57 am

I never had an oyster boat, but I have ordered a shrimp burger along the NC coast. It was good.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:14 am

Sounds good. Fried oysters are pretty good, stew and oyster dressing also (but I pass on the raw).
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Dahl » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:26 pm

Oyster Anything.... EEEEEWWWWWWWW..... (we should have a sickly emote face)

Tim Dahl
Tim L. Dahl
Using my full name since the warning of Banishment... ;)
Tim Dahl

Postby Cathy » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:33 am

Great post Haruo. I had noticed a previous mention that your parents had died before you were grown. Thanks for writing the post and sharing the story of your complicated relationship with oyster boats.
Cathy

Postby David Flick » Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:05 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:34 am

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Jonathan » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:38 am

I agree with Cathy. I knew the brief outline of your story but did not remember reading the particulars of your parents' death. Thanks for sharing your experience of wading through incredibly thick memories where a satisfied appetite and unsatisfied history combine with a result that sounded almost like contentedness.

Oyster boats as "soul food". Good stuff.

If I ever get out your way (my wife has an uncle who lives not too far from you, I think), I'll have to have one with you.
Last edited by Jonathan on Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There is a simple way to get corporate money out of politics: get the government out of our lives and economic affairs. If government has no favors to sell, no one will spend money trying to win them." - John Stossel
Jonathan

Postby William Thornton » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:49 am

Well, I didn't read past the oyster part...until this morning, sorry.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby ehart » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:49 pm

Didn't read it at all until just now.

I'm sorry about the loss of your parents in such a tragic way. It's never time to lose parents no matter how long you have had them or how old and sickly they are. I can certainly understand your reticence to eating at Stan's for all those years. I'm also glad you have managed to overcome and reconcile the past with the present. That's hard for most of us to do.
ehart

Postby Hal Eaton » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:06 pm

My mother often cooked sweetbreads (pancreatic glands), heart, tongue, brains -- gourmet items now-a-days, but the cheapest cuts of meat during the recession (1930s). However, she never introduced me to oysters.

That came in Hong Kong in 1952. We ate often in the Parisian Cafe of the Metropole Hotel. Oysters a la Rockefeller were offered by the dozen for six dollars HK. At the exchange rate of 6:1, the dozen oysters on the half-shell were one dollar.

Chesapeake oysters are not what they once were; 30 years ago, anybody who was making a trip from Appalachia to the beach was asked to bring back a bushel of oystrers. We left them on the grill until they opened, dragged them through a light cocktail sauce, and checked which fellow gourmands bit 'em before swallowing. Camping on Florida's beach just north of the Kennedy Center, we dug them out of the shallow water, popped them open, and enjoyed.

Some nanny/theologian (I think a vegetarian Adventist) wrote voluminously about the innards of each oyster in an attempt to find scientific reasons why the Good Book forsook the eating of shell fish. If you come across such writing, ignore it, and enjoy your meal.

Meantime, join with me in thanlsgiving to the first man who ate one of them thar thangs.
It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry. -- Thomas Paine
Hal Eaton

Postby Dave Roberts » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:44 pm

Like others, I had also not read down the blog. I appreciate you sharing your memories and the ways in which you experienced both the pain and joy. That was a rich posting. I wish you had posted the whole blog here.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Jonathan » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:27 pm

"There is a simple way to get corporate money out of politics: get the government out of our lives and economic affairs. If government has no favors to sell, no one will spend money trying to win them." - John Stossel
Jonathan

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum