Second to None

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Second to None

Postby James » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:15 pm

First, a big thank you to Bid Daddy for alerting me to the existence of this latest history of Second Ponce De Leon Baptist Church of Atlanta, GA.

Second, I'm in the book twice which is surprising. My father is only mentioned once.

Third, the book is well written and covers Dr. Swilley's tenure well, with two exceptions:

Regarding race relations. It is stated in the book that in 1959, the deacon's developed a plan to rope off a portion of the sanctuary to seat any blacks that might drop in for a visit on Sunday morning. While I accept this a true, the plan was never put into action. When the Atlanta University students went to First Baptist on the last Sunday of WSB TVs live broadcast of the 11:00 AM service (don't know the year), Dr Roy McClain (don't know the right spelling) had the ushers bar the doors. Nathan Porter, preached to them from the front steps of the church. The next Sunday, as scheduled, the live broadcast switched to 2nd Ponce. The students came to us and, as planned, were seated among the congregation in twos and fours. Gaps were left for them among members who had agreed to great them warmly and with courtesy. I think there were about 20 who came. So they worshiped with us, surrounded by white folks in front and back and on each side on the same pew. WSB had a reporter on site. At the end of the service, the reporter asked one of the young men if they would be back. He said, "No, we did not get the reception we were looking for."

Also, I am surprised that no mention was made of Dr. Swilley's role in defusing public reaction to the bombing of the Jewish Temple.

On another note relating to the decision of build a youth activities building, the book does not tell the whole story. The final decision was made at a regular business meeting by vote of the congregation. The meeting took place in what is now the Swilley chapel. The room was packed. The loyal opposition was out in force to vote against the building. After a full and orderly debate, the question was called, but before the final vote, those standing outside the chapel were invited to come in to vote. When the leader of the opposition saw 100+ youth, who were members of the church, he accepted defeat in good grace and moved that the building be authorized unanimously by voice vote and so it was done.

The personal details of the Swilley years were provided my Mrs Swilley in a personal interview. Much was made about Dr. Swilly's attitude toward preaching and his preaching ability. The book leaves out the following. He did not preach from a manuscript. He wrote his sermons and memorized them. Every word, gesture and searching for the right word was rehearsed in front of a mirror. On rare occasions, he would forget himself and start extemporizing. When he did, Mrs Swilley, from her position in the choir loft would start throwing little wadded up pieces of paper at him. So we would see the paper hitting the pulpit bible and shortly the sermon would be brought to a close. I wonder why me second mother would leave out such a tidbit. As Monroe the III's best friend, I spent many hours in their home. Martha, by the way is a good bridge player.

Also left out was a principle of church management and leadership passed on to me by Dr. Swilley. He said always give the loyal opposition a seat at the negotiating table and ample time to state their case. Then when the time comes out vote them.

I've finished the book from the Swilley years forward. Now I will go back for the ealy years.
James North
CBF, Virginia
Born again by God's free grace
James

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum