[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - My Hymn Blog

My Hymn Blog

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

My Hymn Blog

Postby Haruo » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:42 pm

For months Joshua has been teasing me with the prospect of hosting a hymnology discussion forum that I would moderate. So far it hasn't happened, but in the meantime I have started a blog called "" where I can post about hymns and, hopefully, get some feedback and build a visitorship that could eventually become the core membership for the proposed forum. So far I have only got four hymns (well, songs) on it:

A babe is born all of a may
A charge to keep I have
A cheering chanting dizzy crowd
A poor wayfaring man of grief

I'm approaching it, obviously, pretty much alphabetically by incipits, what we mortals call "first lines". There is a post entitled "WHAT ABOUT" where I invite readers to tell me what I am missing. Can anyone spot the huge lacuna in the above list? ;-)

My current list of incipits starting with "A...", again omitting the lacuna, runs thusly:

A babe is born all of a may
A charge to keep I have
A cheering chanting dizzy crowd
A child is born in Bethlehem
A closer walk ?
A diligent and grateful heart ?
A God and yet a man?
A great and mighty wonder
A holy air is breathing round ?
A hymn of glory let us sing
A hymn of joy we sing
A lamb goes uncomplaining forth
A light from heaven
A mighty sound from heaven
A multitude comes from east and west
A New Commandment ?
A noble life a simple faith
A parting hymn we sing
A poor wayfaring man of grief
A purple robe
A ruler once came to Jesus by night
A song of spring once more we sing
A stable lamp is lighted

The ones with question marks following are ones about which I am uncertain. The others would be in my ideal, mammoth hymnal for sure.

Haruo
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Re: My Hymn Blog

Postby Joshua Villines » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:35 pm

:censored:

I had totally forgotten about that. You really have to pester me about that sort of thing or it slips my mind...family, teaching, dissertation...it all makes things fuzzy.

Have you reserved the domain name yet? I recommend GoDaddy.com.
"Saying that CBF churches are more progessive than SBC ones because they support the ordination of women is like noting that one flat-earth society is more progressive than the other because it admits to the existence of gravity."
Joshua Villines
Forum Tech Support

Postby Haruo » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:56 pm

Don't worry, if I get a domain name I be pesterin' you... ;-)

I'm also looking at the possibility of a wiki set-up similar to Hymnwiki.org (which has, however, a strong LDS slant).

Haruo

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Timsings » Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:31 am

Haruo,

Have you ever been to a Sacred Harp singing? One of the hymns you have posted, "A Poor, Wayfaring Man of Grief", is a favorite among SH singers. It is set to the tune "Duane Street" that you mentioned. If you are not familiar with SH, you can go to to get more information than you could possibly want. There are schedules of singings along with maps and directions. There is a good group of singers in Seattle, so you should be able to find a contact. If not, send me a PM, and I'll get you a contact. I would caution you, however, that SH can be contagious. You may get hooked, and after that you're on your own.

Tim Reynolds
"So it is with every craftsman. . . . They maintain the fabric of this world, and the practice of their craft is their prayer." (Sirach 38.27, 34)

"I'm living with war everyday." (Neil Young) 12 years later, and still true.
Timsings

Postby Haruo » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:25 am

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Timsings » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:28 pm

"So it is with every craftsman. . . . They maintain the fabric of this world, and the practice of their craft is their prayer." (Sirach 38.27, 34)

Timsings

Postby Haruo » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:56 pm

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Joshua Villines » Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:16 pm

I've got some of the Alan Lomax Sacred Harp recordings, and there are few things that - on a visceral level - connect me with my ancestry as effectively. Those are the sounds of the worship of my grandparents in rural Tennessee. When I hear those harmonies, I feel at home.

Joshua
"Saying that CBF churches are more progessive than SBC ones because they support the ordination of women is like noting that one flat-earth society is more progressive than the other because it admits to the existence of gravity."
Joshua Villines
Forum Tech Support

Postby Neil Heath » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:38 pm

Haruo,
Perhaps Bruce would consider adding a forum on this site for things hymn-related. It would be another way to spread the word and gather interest for launching something more ambitious. It certainly seems to me to fit under the umbrella of Baptists pretty well.

NH
Neil Heath
Neil Heath
Site Admin

Postby Timsings » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:51 pm

Timsings

Postby David Flick » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:36 pm

Tim, I'm a Sacred Harp fan. I first encountered the tradition in Florida when I was attending Baltist Bible Institute (now ). I attended many of the sings in primitive Baptist churches around the and southern Alabama. I purchased , and still possess, one of the Sacred Harp Hymnals by B. F. White. I purchased it back in 1967...

Thread drift alert: This has nothing to do with Sacred Harp, but I found a very old hymnal that looks a lot like the Sacred Harp hymnal. It was published in 1873. I found it in a dusty old second-hand book store. I think I paid $1.00 for the hymnal.

Here are three jpeg photos of the cover, and two other pages. The photos are large and may not load very quickly for those who don't have broadband conncecitons. , , . (Notice the date at the bottom of the Preface). I thought it was interesting, but the book isn't in very good condition...
. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:32 pm

Baltists must be followers of Eston, Latv and Lithuan.

Haruo

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:50 pm

I have , and I covet your votes. If I were a politician, coveting your votes would be a violation of the 10 Commandments, but as a blogger it's allowed.

Haruo

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Timsings » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:52 pm

Timsings

Postby Haruo » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:07 am

That is what the country needs: more classic $1.00 tunebooks.

Haruo
enviously

Haruo
Site Admin

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum