A saint calls it a career

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

A saint calls it a career

Postby Michael » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:32 pm

I received word last week that Jane Young Poster, longtime Baptist campus ministry director at the University of South Carolina will retire at the end of April 2007. Health-related issues have led to her decision.

I was blessed to have a two campus minister staff at the USC BSU. The late Woody Hammett partnered with Jane for many years. All of us who came through the BSU there benefitted from having both a male and female campus minister. Each brought unique gifts and perspective to the ministry.

Jane has filled many roles in my life. First, of course, as campus minister. Then, supporter as I headed to seminary. She became classmate during a summer school session at Southeastern Seminary (during the academic, er, Lolley era. :P ) She became colleague when I worked as a campus minister in Chicago; we visited each year at Ridgecrest student week to catch up and to commiserate. And, over all these years, she has been one of my greatest mentors.

A few of you in BL.com land know Jane and know of her ministry to college students over the years. I visited with her this past May and she was as welcoming and caring as ever, and loved meeting my kids.

Blessings on you, Jane.
Michael
"Is this heaven?"
"No, it's Iowa."
"Iowa? I could have sworn this was heaven."
Michael

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum