Is Truett Cathy a "counterfeit" Baptist

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Where

Postby fox » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:43 pm

bouts in Georgia. I know Mark Cosby is at Enon, near Shannon.
If you give me some coordinates, may pick up a calendar for you, if not this year, maybe next :lol: :!: :lol:
I'm within 6 football fields of a Chic Fil A right now.
The Merriest of Christmasses to you.
Hope you check my blog on occasion for the word rightly divided.
Did you see my letter in The Nation mag last week?
INFORMED GADFLY

Fox's Blog
fox

Postby Richard Pat » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:06 am

I am in south GA. I am living with the gnats and lovebugs. I have to admit, I missed your blog. Maybe, I will live without it. Merry Christmas!!! Hope you and yours are truly blessed this holiday season.
Smile God loves you!!!
Richard Pat

I hope you

Postby fox » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:59 am

are reading my blog http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com
I got some friends in South Georgia I may come see next year. May find your church and sing a hymn or two with your folks. I was at FBC FP Sunday and sang with Mr. Kuykendall, the Landmarks man, and spoke to Randy Owens wife, Kelly, at the Cracker Barrel MOnday night.
Just thought I would give you some social news from NE Alabama.
Not to late to same day air Barry Hankins New Book on Francis Schaefer to Tom Cagle :lol: ; maybe he can sponsor Tim George at the Associational Office in Rainsville and we can have a panel discussion with John Screws, chaired by John Killian.
Sweet time in Jesus couldn't get anybetter than that in NE Bama.
In meantime here is a link to real HS football as it is played in South Carolina for folks like you and the Okie David Flick, Exiled.

http://blogs.usatoday.com/preprally/200 ... l#comments
INFORMED GADFLY

Fox's Blog
fox

Postby Richard Pat » Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:26 pm

Is Cagle still in Dekabl county? I hear he left Mount Carmel. I will be up your way later this week.

Only one real high school football team. Da Bears of Plainview!!!
Smile God loves you!!!
Richard Pat

Gaffney

Postby fox » Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:51 pm

Indians vs the Plainview Bears; it would be embarrassing a travesty of a game.
DAle Pruitt, how come one of the good Baptist Preachers or all those deacons and church choir sopranos on staff at Plainview couldn't get him to do something about his dirty mouth.
Or is that just a diry little secret fundamentalists wink and nod at.
INFORMED GADFLY

Fox's Blog
fox

Postby Richard Pat » Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:03 pm

Fox,

I played for Coach Pruitt. He doesn't have a foul mouth. You have used worse language on this board. Fear the View. We will be back!!!

They don't play real football in SC. Just look at the college teams they have. Not real good. Hoover could beat USC :P
Smile God loves you!!!
Richard Pat

Pruitt

Postby fox » Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:57 pm

is the guy at Hoover now, right? If not then my apologies. but if the same guy, then others say he was quite salty.
As for Gaffney, let me know when Plainview gets this kind of chat at USA today :P :lol: :!:

http://blogs.usatoday.com/preprally/200 ... l#comments
INFORMED GADFLY

Fox's Blog
fox

Here is my letter as published

Postby fox » Mon Dec 25, 2006 5:21 pm

in the Dec 18 print issue of http://www.thenation.com
More Mention of George Truett. I do hope Truett Cathy and the top level staff of Chic Fil A will read Balmer's book early in the new year.
I think there is a very good chance Furman will be hosting Balmer in conjunction with FBC Greenville sometime this year.
CFA as they have been active in the Right to Life movement will want to take Balmer in stride and compare him to John Danforth's wise thoughts in his interview on Cspan back in September that continues to play. The use of abortion rights as a wedge issue, as cover for policies that bedraggle the working poor, is untenable, and Truett Cathy is too decent a man to fund or in any way advance that kind of politics, even if it means calling Timothy George and Richard Land to account.
Merry Christmas.

An edited version of this letter went to press this evening in the issue dated December 18. Thanks for sending it in.

Judith Long
Letters page editor
The Nation

On Nov 15, 2006, at 1:55 PM, stephen fox wrote:

Letters for Publication
The Nation Magazine

The Editors:
My Daddy was a Baptist preacher and in the parlance of our tradition, I "got saved" in the Truett Memorial Baptist Church in Hayesville, North Carolina in 1959.
It is the great George Truett Randall Balmer celebrates in his book Thy Kingdom Come, reviewed with several others by Eyal Press in the Nov 20, Nation issue. My good friend Balmer--he has twice been the Dotson Nelson lecturer at the Baptist Samford Universtiy in Birmingham, holds Kerl Rove's operative in the SBC Richard Land up to the plumbline of Truett in his book, and finds Land woefully wanting.
Thank you Eyal Press for this great take on the current state of religion and politics in our American Experiment. I have linked the story on an active progressive Baptist discussion board to see how it plays here in Alabama and the region.

Stephen Fox
INFORMED GADFLY

Fox's Blog
fox

Postby Haruo » Tue Dec 26, 2006 3:17 am

Hey fox, Tim Bonney just mentioned Truett (George) over at Thinkingbaptists.com, in a discussion of freemasonry.

Haruo
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
Haruo
Site Admin

I saw

Postby fox » Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:24 pm

the TBaptists chat on Freemasons and registered there, awaiting confirmation.
Looks like the same crowd as here plus a woman, sojourner, from Australia.
Did not see Bonney tim in the Freemason chat.
I had an interesting encounter with a freemason Feb 23, and may blog about it since doesn't seem the rules would permit quoting him in full on either this or the freethinking baps forum.
Went to a Shriner rited funeral about a month ago. Two deacons were there, one of whom was a city councilman.
Saw in the AJC chat not long ago where George Truett's home county, Clay in NC, continues to be one of the most politically corrupt in the Nation
Truett and Furnifold Simmons, a comparison of these contemporaries interests me.
I doubt Truett would have ever delivered the racist harangue of Criswell 1956 in Columbia South Carolina; and I doubt he would endorse the ERLC of Paige Patterson or the sham abortion politics of Timothy George and Al Mohler.
If Chandler Davidson had written 100 pages on Truett, like he did on Criswell, I have to believe the tone would be continents apart.
Truett would be somewhere in the world of John Danforth and Bill Rauch; not these Shriner deacons that have been a part of my experience in the last year in Northeast Alabama.
INFORMED GADFLY

Fox's Blog
fox

Postby Jim1964 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:55 pm

In the spirit of Chick-Fil-A, I just wanted to post that my wife and I dined at the CFA on County Line Rd in Jackson, MS, Wednesday night--as we were travelling back from visiting my parents in Live Oak, TX, for Christmas. :P
Jim1964

Re:

Postby Chris » Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:09 am

fox wrote: Looks like the same crowd as here plus a woman, sojourner, from Australia.

and I thought Sojourner from Australia was a man. :?
Jesus paid the price for me and everybody.
Chris

Previous

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum