Is Truett Cathy a "counterfeit" Baptist

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

How

Postby fox » Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:54 am

do Truett Cathy and Perry Mcguire define themselves in relation to this article.
And can Prentice Fox call himself a devotee of Carlyle Marney and be in good standing in a CBF congregation without expressing or having a working conversational knowledge of the differences of the Baptist Joint Committee and The Christian Legal Society or http://www.clsnet.org
http://www.thenation.com/doc/20061120/press/3
INFORMED GADFLY

Fox's Blog
fox

On

Postby fox » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:54 pm

October 31st the http://www.ajc.com endorsed Perry McGuire's opponent, and also oppose the Governor part of Perry and Truett Cathy's ticket, Gov Perdue.
Cynthia Tucker, is one of the finest, wise folks I know. She was raised Baptist, and is wise as a serpent and more times than not Harmless as A dove.
She is as tough love and frank with the children of Martin Luther King and pulls no punches in her indignancy about the way the have let the King Center fall in disrepair. She is as tough on them as she is on Perdue and Perry Mcguire.
I wish my Uncle Prentice had her courage, perspicacity and integrity. :wall: :roll: :arrow: :P
Sfox
INFORMED GADFLY

Fox's Blog
fox

If you want

Postby fox » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:11 am

two get any final two cents in--Bruce Gourley here is a chance for you to take a stand--on the influence of Truett Cathy in politics and the question as to how authentically Baptist it is informed, here is your chance.
I think folks at the http://www.ajc.com have been monitoring me talking to myself in this thread in the several links here; and I am going to reboot, bring it back to their attention by email today and tomorrow.
sfox
INFORMED GADFLY

Fox's Blog
fox

CFA

Postby fox » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:11 pm

is a good citizen here in Upstate South Carolina. I still Hope Perry Mcguire goes down tonight and the Corporate staff in the next six months reads all the books and the links I have shared in this thread the last month.
Even so I am grateful to them for two units in the area who are giving a free sandwich for every political yard sign brought it tomorrow.
So far I have five, a Bob Inglis sign, US House from SC, Rep; and two apiece from county school district 24 David Vickery and Megan Hickerson.
Thank you Bob, David and Megan and thank you CFA
One prediction at the 9 pm hour.
I predict this thread will hit 2,000 hits by midnight.
Make that 2 predicts; and Lowell Barron will keep his State senate seat in Districk 8 Ne Bama, another win for Tammany Hall over the Theocrats :lol: :wall:
INFORMED GADFLY

Fox's Blog
fox

CFA

Postby fox » Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:17 am

Chic Fil A's and Cecil Staton's Perry McGuire goes down in Georgia 57-42% but remains my #1 fast food sandwich Chain.
Thank you CFA for the yard sign deal here in the Upstate which I intend to make the most of post election.
And please corporate Staff at the highest levels read between now and March
Balmer
Edsall
Kuo
Garry Wills
Michelle Goldberg

Thanks
INFORMED GADFLY

Fox's Blog
fox

Re: CFA

Postby Jim1964 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:35 pm

fox wrote: Balmer
Edsall
Kuo
Garry Wills
Michelle Goldberg

What are the significance of these names :?: You have been stating them for the past 4-6 weeks on here, but I don't know who they are. Also, why is CFA your favorite fast-food chain, yet you despise their involvement in ultra-conservative politics :?:
Jim1964

1964 Jim

Postby fox » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:53 am

All the books in some way or another talk about the poor conswequences of the Fundamentalist takeover of the SBC and how it has infected the character of our country, particularly the key Baptist gift to America, the separation of church and state.
Other than that you will have to read the books AND go back and read this entire thread as it develops.
The sandwiches are good. If Abraham Lincoln and Tommy J were alive today they would be frequent patrons. But with Madison they would join me and Balmer, Kuo, Edsall, Robert Parham and Garry Wills in calling Truett Cathy into a deeper, a better, more noble and honest to the kerygma of the Baptist tradition--like Balmer has done in his chapter Where Have All the Baptists Gone--appreciation and application of the Baptist witness in the Public square.
Sfox
INFORMED GADFLY

Fox's Blog
fox

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:55 pm

Weeks have passed and I'm wondering what's the purpose of this thread?

Truett's sandwiches are quite tasty. However, since they are cooked in peanut oil, I rarely get to enjoy myself (since both my mother and sister are deathly allergic to the peanut).

If, Truett is not an authentic Baptist or funds religious right causes and/or leaders - make your case.

Of course, Truett is buddies with Nelson Price - so was Jimmy Carter once upon a time. I don't doubt Truett supports socially conservative causes. Show me some data - make a case.

Last I checked, Truett wasn't on the ballot this past Tuesday....

From personal experience, I know Truett is a good man with a kind heart and has devoted his life to supporting youth homes and adopting troubled boys has his own...(see his support of the Paul Anderson Youth Home in Vidalia, Georgia).

His politics? I don't know much. But you haven't taught us anything with this thread....
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Joshua Villines » Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:47 pm

I confess, I genuinely like Nelson Price. He has never been anything but kind a gracious to me, and I have a lot of respect for him.

As for Truett, I suppose I could tolerate his radical, right-wing politics if he would just get his little corporate vacation center the hell off the campus I dearly love. (He can take the Chicken Indoctrination Camp too, if it's all the same to him...)

As for the sandwiches, I wouldn't know. After 13 years as a vegetarian, I can't remember what they taste like. Their fries and lemonade, on the other hand, are quite tasty - but I hate to give them any of my money knowing that it will eventually trickle up to the Cathy family.

-Joshua
"Saying that CBF churches are more progessive than SBC ones because they support the ordination of women is like noting that one flat-earth society is more progressive than the other because it admits to the existence of gravity."
Joshua Villines
Forum Tech Support

Postby Jim1964 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:24 pm

cjoshuav wrote:As for Truett, I suppose I could tolerate his radical, right-wing politics if he would just get his little corporate vacation center the hell off the campus I dearly love. (He can take the Chicken Indoctrination Camp too, if it's all the same to him...)

-Joshua

Any reason you have to use profanity on here :?:
Jim1964

Postby Joshua Villines » Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:49 pm

Jim1964 wrote:Any reason you have to use profanity on here :?:

For emphasis. If the forum rules weren't so stringent, I'd use stronger.

-Joshua
"Saying that CBF churches are more progessive than SBC ones because they support the ordination of women is like noting that one flat-earth society is more progressive than the other because it admits to the existence of gravity."
Joshua Villines
Forum Tech Support

Postby fox » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:08 pm

http://www.tnr.com/doc.mhtml?i=20061120 ... orial11206

Or go to http://www.tnr.com and click on the Group Editorial How's That Realignment going for you Karl. Maybe if you copy the link in it will bring it up. However you get to it, it is a stellar link, one of the best things I have read post the mid term election, and one I commend to the administrative staff of Chic Fil A along with the other links and book recommendations I have posted in this thread
INFORMED GADFLY

Fox's Blog
fox

Postby fox » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:11 pm

http://www.tnr.com/doc.mhtml?i=20061120 ... rial112006

Or go to http://www.tnr.com and click on the Group Editorial How's That Realignment going for you Karl. Maybe if you copy the link in it will bring it up. However you get to it, it is a stellar link, one of the best things I have read post the mid term election, and one I commend to the administrative staff of Chic Fil A along with the other links and book recommendations I have posted in this thread
INFORMED GADFLY

Fox's Blog
fox

Postby fox » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:29 pm

http://www.worldwideschool.org/library/ ... hap16.html
Sweet; not only do I have a link here for one of My Dad's favorite poems, one I am sure along with James Dickey the Chic Fil A Cathy Family and wider network of Georgians cherish as well, but also this great oped from http://www.tnr.com I commend to Perry Mcguire, Governor Perdue, Truett CAthy and all of you.
Big Daddy WEave, go back and read my opening set up for this discourse and click on the link connecting CFA, Perry and Cecil Staton of Smyth and Helwys. If still in a fog, take it to Hankins class and maybe whats his face, the young fundy blogger can help you out.
SFox

And nOw brothers and sisters, a quote from Rich Land's Friend Karl Rove and the sweet TNR take on it all post Nov 8, 2006
We now clearly are not the country that was 49-49. We're now at 51-48 and may be trending to 51-47. It is incremental but small, persistent change. We saw it in 2002, and we saw it again this year. ... It tells me we may be seeing part of a rolling realignment."

--Karl Rove, November 7, 2004

Two years ago, Republicans managed to spin a 51 percent victory over a weak opponent into something very big--not quite a landslide, but a mandate, a "rolling realignment," perhaps even (as Newsweek breathlessly speculated) "a political dominance that could last for decades."

By that standard, what would you call what the Democrats accomplished Tuesday? They won the aggregate House vote by a margin of some ten percentage points, nearly four times the margin Bush ran up against the hapless Kerry in 2004. Their gain of more than two dozen House seats may be modest by historical comparison, but that is only because demography and gerrymandering have compressed the field of contestable seats to a bare minimum.

The same holds true of the Senate. Yes, the Democrats will likely have just a bare two-seat majority. But this is only because the overrepresented low-population states tilt so heavily Republican. If you assume each senator represents half his state's population, the 51 senators caucusing with the Democrats will represent some 58 percent of the United States.

A lot of things have come crashing down with this election. One of them is the absurd cultural prestige enjoyed by President Bush and his supporters. Since 2000, they have continuously bludgeoned their critics with the notion that the only authentic Americans are those living in the red states. Democratic voters have been endlessly told that they are nothing more than a tiny, alien coastal remnant, and many of them started to believe it.

Well, it's hokum. Bush and his vision for the country have been before the voters four times now. Twice (in 2002 and 2004) a narrow majority of voters supported him; once (in 2000) a narrow majority rejected him; and now a substantial majority has rejected him. Bush is not the incarnation of the popular will, and his critics are not anti-American freaks.

Another casualty of the election, we hope, should be the pathological insularity of the administration's foreign policy-making. It has long been obvious to every sentient being, along with many members of the Bush inner circle, that Donald Rumsfeld was an epic disaster as defense secretary. That Bush could not take even the minimal step of acknowledging this glaringly obvious fact made it difficult to believe he could take the immensely more difficult step of coming to grips with Iraq. A global strategic disaster was not enough to shake Bush into action. It took a Republican political disaster as well.

Finally, and most proximately, the election should bury the peculiar form of one-party rule that has so corrupted American politics. Until the present administration, the modern American state had no true experience with one-party rule. Even during those times when Democrats controlled both ends of Pennsylvania Avenue, they were a fractious assortment of Northern progressives and Southern conservatives, more coalition than true party. President Clinton's toughest battles during his first two years came with the Democrats running Congress. When Bush won the presidency, there was at last a single party with total control of the levers of power and a relatively coherent vision of government's role. They kept inventing new ways to turn their power into a self-perpetuating machine. It was a frightening thing to behold.

From the moment they took control of Congress in 1994, Republicans handed over astonishing power to the business lobby to rewrite regulations and the tax code to its liking. Republicans held votes in the dead of night, let lobbyists author legislation, and elevated the pork barrel to the central operating principle of government. Their entire legislative program was a massive payoff.

The Republican-K Street nexus, along with the slanted districting of the House, made the ruling claque appear almost unbeatable. And, indeed, it took a staggering combination of factors--a failing war, stagnant wages, endless scandals, the near-loss of a major U.S. city--to finally pry the levers of power out of Republican fingers.

When they won Congress in 1994, Republicans hubristically called it a "revolution." November 7, 2006, was not a revolution, and nobody should expect unbroken sunny days to follow. But it did end a dismal period in American political life, and for that we can only rejoice.

the Editors
INFORMED GADFLY

Fox's Blog
fox

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:28 pm

I read the top of your long thread.

No articles on Truett Cathy

Now, according to you, Truett had his hands all over "Nelson Price's takeover of Shorter College."

Again, never did I once doubt that Truett is buddies with Nelson Price.

But, show me some info on Truett Cathy's involvement in politics/religion.

I'd be interested in reading. Otherwise, what's the point of this thread? Most of the posts have absolutely nothing to do with Truett himself.

Can you provide a few articles on Truett?
Big Daddy Weaver

Bdiddy

Postby fox » Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:20 pm

We are on the same page here.
Couple points here
If my understanding is correct, Truett Cathy contributed big bucks to the election campaign of Sonny Perdue, governor of Georgia in this incumbency win and his virgin victory.
He was one of the chief funders of CFA's former corporate atty, Perr McGuire in McGuire's run for Atty gen of Georgia. go to PM's homepage.
Read the ED.com piece at the start of all this to see the very public campaigning Cecil Staton did for PM.
TCathy has a history with the John Birch Society. His Christian pilgrimage has led him out of that nonsense, but like Billy Graham in pivotal situations he has tipped his hand to the fundies in the takeover of the SBC.
For sure there needs to be more exploration of this thicket. That is what I was trying to goad the secular media to do with this thread.
His politics are what they are. Get Ben Cole and Barry Hankins to take a good look at this thread, click on all the links.
Mr. Baugh has played politics secular and denominational. Truett Cathy does the same thing. I think Baugh put his money to better uses than Cathy has done when he funds politicians. His horses, are more in the Jerry Vines vein of American political traditiion, Cathy's political horses we are talking about, the Ed Young tradition, than they are Jimmy Carter, marney and George Truett.
My Friend Randall Balmer called Richard Land a counterfeit Baptist when comparing him to George Truett, the namesake of Truett Cathy.
I am saying is it the case Truett Cathy is counterfeit as well when you hold him up to the Randall Balmer test in Thy Kingdom Come.
I have very good reason to suspect he is.
Starting to get the picture now :?: :?: :?: :)
INFORMED GADFLY

Fox's Blog
fox

Furman in Viet Nam

Postby fox » Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:42 pm

http://www.furmanvoices.blogspot.com/20 ... -done.html

Read the set up piece at http://www.furman.edu

Very proud of my alma mater, the only US student delegation there.
goes to show just how high you can soar once you break from the fundy Baptists :thumb:
INFORMED GADFLY

Fox's Blog
fox

Here is

Postby fox » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:39 pm

the latest for Barry Hankins, Ben Cole and BDiddy Weaver and their class at Baylor to consider as well as the upper eschelons of the CFA empire.
Compliments of and thanks to Bruce Prescott for tagging this one at his blog
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michelle- ... 33923.html

Great stuff for Jonathan, Gourley and this whole board.
Bruce Gourley, please have Dr. Shurden bring this to Nancy Ammerman's attention. She needs to be brought up to speed.
INFORMED GADFLY

Fox's Blog
fox

Postby Jim » Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:14 pm

Michelle Goldberg via something called Huffington Post: As I wrote [in her book], "I want to be clear, however, that I am not suggesting that religious tyranny is imminent in the United States. Our democracy is eroding and some of our rights are disappearing, but for most people, including those most opposed to Christian nationalist agenda, life will most likely go on pretty much as normal for the foreseeable future."

Ms. Goldberg (age admittedly unknown and probably impossible to discover) may not know anything about the extinct “Blue Laws,” the fact that virtually nothing secular (especially in schools) used to be scheduled on Wednesday evenings (prayer-meeting times) or Sunday evenings, or that local ministers and visiting evangelists routinely preached in high school assemblies. She would have labeled that not-far-distant past (in my lifetime) as the quintessential paradigm of “Christian Nationalism.” Instead of moving toward a theocratic mess, this country is moving at warp speed away from anything remotely suggesting a spiritual impact (pseudo or otherwise) of even measurable proportions, much less of massive size. This country is becoming more un-theocratic by the minute, and a handful of loudmouthed preachers or legislators will only serve to drive it farther in that direction, so Goldberg should be happy to have them screaming. Does anyone take her seriously? Surely not. The huge chain Best Buy is not even allowing the word Christmas to appear anywhere in its stores this year, either printed or spoken, though, as Wal-Mart learned last year, it may change its rule.
Jim

Jim

Postby fox » Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:51 pm

it really wouldn't hurt you to read Balmer's book, nor would it hurt for you to take a close look again at what Richard Land and Jesse Helms and Pressler did to the SBC the last 25 years.
Dan Vestal, loves Jesus, still knows how to preach, and lived down the street in Midland from George W. bush in the 80's.
He gets it; you do not and what is sad refuse to read Balmer and follow Bruce Prescott daily
Read Jumpin' Jim Crow, from Civil War to Civil Rights. Read that bout what the great Blue Laws did in the 50's.
there is a sense in which Andrew Young was aching for some of the sentiment you express; Andrew aching yesterday in his emotional speech in the embrace of Jesse Jackson and John Lewis.
But where you differ with them on church state, where you look the other way while Richard Land continues to use CP dollars as a PAC to Pac transfer to Karl Rove and His Great Mistake of the last 20 years is ungodly.
The weight still comes down with Goldberg and Prescott and Balmer, and you and Nancy Ammerman are more out to lunch than seated at the Great Banquet of Truett, marney and Jesus Christ.
INFORMED GADFLY

Fox's Blog
fox

Postby Jim » Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:27 pm

F: Dan Vestal, loves Jesus, still knows how to preach, and lived down the street in Midland from George W. bush in the 80's.

J: Vestal is a good preacher. I heard him about six weeks ago when he preached in the church of my membership (I listened by radio that day). It had to do with the missional [sic] thing that is the thrust of CBF doings now…actually another term for mission work.

F: But where you differ with them on church state, where you look the other way while Richard Land continues to use CP dollars as a PAC to Pac transfer to Karl Rove and His Great Mistake of the last 20 years is ungodly.

J: I suppose you mean the auditors at SBC can’t catch Land…or maybe they don’t want to? Now that WOULD be ungodly, the scoundrels!

F: The weight still comes down with Goldberg and Prescott and Balmer, and you and Nancy Ammerman are more out to lunch than seated at the Great Banquet of Truett, marney and Jesus Christ.

J: Ah well…you can’t win ’em all. Do you suppose Marney would fire up his pipe at the same table with…oh no, of course not. When you’re banqueting there, think of me stuck in that other place eating charcoal-burned Chick-Fil-A with the rest of the theocrats.
Jim

Had

Postby fox » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:47 pm

three chic fil a nuggets about 15 mins ago and got a medium tea nearby as I type.
Gonna buy the coupon calendar for a young married couple; doubling over Christmas and a wedding present.
If that ain't chicken, ducks don't quack :lol: :lol:
INFORMED GADFLY

Fox's Blog
fox

Had a good

Postby fox » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:28 pm

Sandwich tonight at a nearby Chic Fil A.
I was the presence of Christ in the Birthday party for Two 7 year old girls. None of their loved ones stepped up to lead the singing of Happy Birthday when the time came and the noisemakers were staged to go, so I crashed the event and got the singing going.
Momma woulda been proud of me.
Good time was had by all :lol:

Happy Thanksgiving to all, particularly the Upper management of http://www.chic-fil-a.com

Sfox
INFORMED GADFLY

Fox's Blog
fox

For the Record

Postby fox » Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:20 pm

I want to CFA to take notice that for Christmas, I purchased not one, but three Chic Fil A coupon calendars to distribute to various loved ones this Yule Tide

Sfox Dec 11, 06
INFORMED GADFLY

Fox's Blog
fox

Postby Richard Pat » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:47 am

Fox,

How you doing? You are going all out on Christmas gifts this season. You go big guy.
Smile God loves you!!!
Richard Pat

PreviousNext

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum