Slapout...

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Slapout...

Postby David Flick » Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:29 am

David Flick
Site Admin

Re: Slapout...

Postby David Flick » Sun Aug 15, 2004 8:59 pm

Timothy Bonney wrote:
David Flick wrote:Slapout...

I live in a small town but, I have to say I seldom see a sign for a town that far from well.... buildings. :D

Here in Oklahoma, there are a lot of little towns whose geographical boundaries extend for miles beyond visible buildings. The "city limits" of Slapout, OK go out about .5 mi in all directions. (Noteworthy: Bruce Gourley has driven through the heart Slapout, OK. When he was moving from Billings, MT to Auburn, AL, I drove his U-Haul and he was following me with his big FWD Suburban. The route we took us smack dab in front of the Slapout Service station.)

Back to the issue of City limits of Oklahoma towns, burgs, and holes-in-the-road: A good many of the smaller Oklahoma towns have extended their jurisdiction to many miles beyond their city limits. For example, there's a small town 15 miles south of Watonga which has extended the city jurisdiction 13 miles outside their city limits. Although the 13 mile stretch of highway (US-281), going from the Cherokee Truckstop on I-40 to Geary is a nonresidential area (nothing but wheat fields, pasture and cattle-grazing area), the Geary city cops patrol the road like the Oklahoma HP. One Sunday morning I was cruising along the road about 9 miles south of Geary thinking about my sermon outline, when I got pulled over by one of these cops. Cost me $87.00. *#@%!

Anyway here's a visual idea of how little old Geary, Oklahoma controls the highway 13 miles each way out of town. It's 13 miles from the Cherokee Truck stop to Geary. The cop picked me up at the point of the green arrow. I though about raining fire down out of heaven on him but I was, after all, speeding. So I forgave him, paid my fine and went on up the road :x

David Flick
Site Admin

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum