Medical news re: Adrian Rogers

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Postby David Flick » Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:01 pm

Richard Pat wrote:Thank you Mr Flick for you kind words. Yourso [sic] nice. You would not tear down a fellow Christian , now would you?? Dude, I have passed sevaral College level English courses. Your teasing is what seems very Jr high like!!!!!!!!

What can I say? Your probably the smartest fundy in Georgia... :wink: :lol:
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:18 pm

Two ofthe best exchanges in this thread in my opinion:

1. D.F "Richard Pat, William is right. You desperately need to enroll in a remedial English class. Your grammar is at about the 7th grade level. Your theology is little better. I'd judge that your theology is equal to that of a high school sophomore…

R.P "Thank you Mr Flick for you kind words. Yourso nice. You would not tear down a fellow Christian , now would you?? Dude, I have passed sevaral College level English courses. Your teasing is what seems very Jr high like!!!!!!!!"

2. R.P To D. Flick "Thank you Mr Flick for you kind words. Yourso nice. You would not tear down a fellow Christian , now would you?? Dude, I have passed sevaral College level English courses. Your teasing is what seems very Jr high like!!!!!!!!"

wm: "Then demand your money back ,sir. You clearly got ripped off by grade inflation. [semi-tic]"

Flick to R.P "What can I say? Your probably the smartest fundy in Georgia... "
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now my commentary;

Ed: Divid I gues I missed some thing how do we know R.P is in Georgia?.

And to Richard Pat, I would ask what makes you think David and all are teasing? I have been reading them for a long time. I would say they are being pretty serious on this. I can attest that it is not just because you are a far right conservative or a fundamentalist. Shoot I am a Moderate married to a female Pastor and they have all gotten on me about Spelling, grammar and punctuation, and typing despite the fact that I have told them of some physical problems that exacerbate the my writing flaws. You may want to slow down a bit ass you write.

Also we prefer to get along wit out uesing titles in evey day discussion but if you insist, David Flick is Rev. Flick, Dr. Flick or even more proper the Revrend Dr. David Flick, rather than Mr. He will however, answer to any of the above.

BTW, I would guess that you mean you are taking courses through NOBTS rather than "thru Nobts". Is that correct?

And by the way just what does "taking courses through NOBTS" mean? Are they correspondence courses or are you taking classes at an extension center . If you are taking classes on the N.O.. campus I would be curious as to your description of the damage to the physical plant by the hurricanes.
Ed Pettibone

Postby David Flick » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:09 pm

Ed wrote:Now my commentary;

Take a look at the location under his name...

Ed wrote:And to Richard Pat, I would ask what makes you think David and all are teasing? I have been reading them for a long time. I would say they are being pretty serious on this. I can attest that it is not just because you are a far right conservative or a fundamentalist. Shoot I am a Moderate married to a female Pastor and they have all gotten on me about Spelling, grammar and punctuation, and typing despite the fact that I have told them of some physical problems that exacerbate the my writing flaws. You may want to slow down a bit ass you write.

I love it, Ed. I give you a Golden Spur for humor. :lol:

. . . . . . . . . . . . . .Image
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:37 pm

JaneFordA wrote:
David Flick wrote:

Ed wrote:And to Richard Pat, I would ask what makes you think David and all are teasing? I have been reading them for a long time. I would say they are being pretty serious on this. I can attest that it is not just because you are a far right conservative or a fundamentalist. Shoot I am a Moderate married to a female Pastor and they have all gotten on me about Spelling, grammar and punctuation, and typing despite the fact that I have told them of some physical problems that exacerbate the my writing flaws. You may want to slow down a bit ass you write.

Heehaw, heehaw? :P

Ed: David, I can not accept the award because the phrasing was not intentional. Even though it does illustrate the validity of the advice I was giving to Richard Pat. Do you think it would be irreverent to claim divine intervention? Now RP will probably be sure that I am a liberal rather than a moderate. :(
Ed Pettibone

Postby John » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:13 pm

Recently, as I was meeting with what is left of the church where I had been preaching prior to Katrina, and as I was walking through the ruins, I saw a plaque of dedication next to the door of the education building dedicating the building to one Adrian Rogers. When I asked about it I was informed he was pastor there when in seminary many moons ago.

Sorry to hear of his demise. My prayers go out to his family and all who revered him.
John

Postby David Flick » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:35 pm

Ed Pettibone wrote:
JaneFordA wrote:
David Flick wrote:

Heehaw, heehaw? :P

Ed: David, I can not accept the award because the phrasing was not intentional. Even though it does illustrate the validity of the advice I was giving to Richard Pat. Do you think it would be irreverent to claim divine intervention? Now RP will probably be sure that I am a liberal rather than a moderate. :(

I know the phrasing wasn't intentional. I know you better than that. You would never intentionally write something crass and irreverent. But your Freudian slip was a classic. It was one of the funniest I've seen in a long time here on the forum. You have nothing to be embarrassed about because we all know your heart. It was simply a humorous slip. We'll have a good laugh together and move on... :D

Note to Richard Pat: You can mark it down. You can take it to the bank. Ed Pettibone is a staunch moderate Baptist. He is married to a Baptist pastor. It doesn't get more moderate than that. When you've been here as long as Ed has, you will be entitled to some Freudian slips. But there's no excuse to claim that you are skilled in the usage of English grammar and consistently write like 7th grader. And there no excuse to claim theological knowledge while consistently misinterpreting the Bible... Ed's advice to you was to slow down a bit as you write. My advice to you is slow down as you think. If you'll think through some of the stuff you write, you'll understand that the second-hand stuff you're hearing from the fundamentalists is wrong...
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Hal Eaton » Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:13 pm

Back to the early posts on this thread: Rogers was quoted (over and over again, since it included a fancy turn of a phrase) in Gourly's book. "In 1986 Adrian Rogers, a fundamentalist and then SBC presidential candidate, championing an inerrant Bible, ardently exclaimed that the entirety of Christianity hung on the virgin birth of Christ. "I wouldn't give you half a hallelujah for your chance of heaven if you don't believe in the virgin birth of Jesus Christ."

Rogers has been praised for his erudition and adroitness for such quotes. However, an honest appraisal of the idea leaves us with an unseemly view of our Christian faith.

If the quote is true, then the inerrantist Biblical view continues to give us the choices of God's heaven (up), and the alternative--an eternity (down) of punishment, hellfire, and suffering. Given that the world's population is now comprised of some 6 billion of God's creatures, the necessary conclusion is that over 5,000,000,000 will be populating Hell, sent there by a God who didn't give them the opportunity to respond to Rogers' preaching.

For all our categorizing of our theories of the Almighty, we often forget that EVERY doctrine, whether of Christ, Salvation, Eternity, the Church, Mary, and even Heaven and Hell, are ALL doctrines of God--who He/She/It really is, how He/She/It operates.

Given Rogers' evaluation of who makes it to his (Rogers') heaven, God appears to be, as in Woody Allen's view, an under-achiever.

By the way, I presume, since word of the Virgin Birth surfaced at least 60 or so years after the event, it would appear that the Apostle Paul, who made no mention of it, will probably not be on hand to greet Adrian in his version of the Great Hereafter.

Be very careful what you profess to believe and proclaim as truth; it may require capitulation to a variety of unsavory dogmas.

There still remains the possibility of an SBC-level proclamation that pickles have souls. TIC

(Had to edit this, with the TIC after the last line, for fear that someone would take offense.)
Hal Eaton

Postby Ed Pettibone » Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:47 pm

ED: Quote Hal:
By the way, I presume, since word of the Virgin Birth surfaced at least 60 or so years after the event, it would appear that the Apostle Paul, who made no mention of it, will probably not be on hand to greet Adrian in his version of the Great Hereafter.

Ed: Hall why not forget Paul, How about Jesus?

I personally believe in the Virgin birth (conception) but as Molly M. has asked; Which is more important the virginity of Mary or the Divinity of Jesus the Christ?

But then some say you can't have the later w/o the first, and I ask why? How could God be so limited?
Ed Pettibone

Postby Hal Eaton » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:22 pm

Janie: Keep the Cheetos and chawklets. My diet doesn't need them.

While my wife is still hospitalized with a hip replacement, I'm sufferin'. For instance, last night, I found an $8 rib-eye steak in the reduced-bin at $4, doused it with Worcestershire sauce, fried it (briefly), then fried the panful of hash-browns, then fried two slices of buttered exotic bread in the tasty grease, and washed it down with my favorite mix of ginger ale and orange juice. (I wouldn't be allowed to do that if Momma was home.)

As we say here in Grayson County (the land of beautiful horses and fast women),* "Come go wiv' me."

*Did I get that mixed up? Again?
Hal Eaton

Postby Ed Pettibone » Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:40 pm

Hal Eaton wrote:Janie: Keep the Cheetos and chawklets. My diet doesn't need them.

While my wife is still hospitalized with a hip replacement, I'm sufferin'. For instance, last night, I found an $8 rib-eye steak in the reduced-bin at $4, doused it with Worcestershire sauce, fried it (briefly), then fried the panful of hash-browns, then fried two slices of buttered exotic bread in the tasty grease, and washed it down with my favorite mix of ginger ale and orange juice. (I wouldn't be allowed to do that if Momma was home.)

As we say here in Grayson County (the land of beautiful horses and fast women),* "Come go wiv' me."

ED: Why would any one adulterate a decent steak with Worcestershire sauce... or any thing else ? :roll: (tic) Not that I object to Worchestershire sauce, I use it when I make fried rice and in many vegtable dishes.
Ed Pettibone

Postby David Flick » Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:08 pm

JaneFordA wrote:
Hal Eaton wrote:Janie: Keep the Cheetos and chawklets. My diet doesn't need them.

Okay, everybody listen up now! Howzabout goin' over to Hal's house for supper? :D
::: waiting to hear the cyber thud as Oldad passes out in terror:::

Jane, Oldad has my tastebuds running wild. I think I'll make a trip over to pay a chaplainly call on Mrs. Oldad (like the one I paid to Mlovell), after which, Dr. Oldad will be obligated to make me some $8 rib-eye steak, doused with Worcestershire sauce, fried briefly, with a panful of fried hash-browns and several fried slices of buttered exotic bread in the tasty grease. I'll make sure to have him include a mix of ginger ale and orange juice. Then I'll come back home to Oklahoma. Anybody want to second that motion? Better yet, does anyone want to tag along with me?? :wink: :D
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Joseph Patrick » Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:59 am

David Flick wrote:
JaneFordA wrote:

Okay, everybody listen up now! Howzabout goin' over to Hal's house for supper? :D

Jane, Oldad has my tastebuds running wild. I think I'll make a trip over to pay a chaplainly call on Mrs. Oldad (like the one I paid to Mlovell), after which, Dr. Oldad will be obligated to make me some $8 rib-eye steak, doused with Worcestershire sauce, fried briefly, with a panful of fried hash-browns and several fried slices of buttered exotic bread in the tasty grease. I'll make sure to have him include a mix of ginger ale and orange juice. Then I'll come back home to Oklahoma. Anybody want to second that motion? Better yet, does anyone want to tag along with me?? :wink: :D

From Joseph Patrick...

David, I would offer to go with you, but who would take over the driving as our arteries clogged along the highway as we returned to Oklahoma?
Joseph Patrick

Postby David Flick » Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:14 am

Joseph Patrick wrote:
David Flick wrote:
JaneFordA wrote:

From Joseph Patrick...

David, I would offer to go with you, but who would take over the driving as our arteries clogged along the highway as we returned to Oklahoma?

Good question, Joseph Patrick. Maybe we could take a designated driver. But first I gotta figger out a way to get my pick'em up truck to drive on water. The side trip to get you would be a doosie. There's a whole lot of water between me and you... :D
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Hal Eaton » Sat Nov 19, 2005 2:15 am

To all you hungry'uns--No thud here. I've got four slabs of pork ribs in the freezer now, and can get more . . .

Also have a pack of sauerkraut; will either mix with onions and apples and let it cook four hours under the ribs, or mix it cold with green peppers, onions, pimientos, vinegar, oil and sugar, for an unforgettable sauerkraut salad. The church ladies love it!

Now about that cabbage--boiled, fried, wrapped around hamburger, added to a beef broth soup--nothing you do will ruin it. There are at least 100 recipes for cole slaw, and they're all good.

One more hint: Our local New River catfish respond quite well to being filleted, soaked in a tempura batter, rolled in cracker crumbs made with Cheez-its, then deep-fat fried. Hit don't git no better.

If Momma is home when you come, she can make a sweet'n'sour pork and shrimp that will grow hair on a billiard ball, take the rag off'n the bush, make you throw your hat in the creek, and make you slap your grandma.

My Dad told me he didn't care who he owed when he died, as long as he didn't owe his stomach anything . . . I intend to keep the tradition alive. (At least until . . . until . . . until . . .)
Hal Eaton

Postby David Flick » Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:18 pm

Hal Eaton wrote:To all you hungry'uns--No thud here. I've got four slabs of pork ribs in the freezer now, and can get more . . .

Also have a pack of sauerkraut; will either mix with onions and apples and let it cook four hours under the ribs, or mix it cold with green peppers, onions, pimientos, vinegar, oil and sugar, for an unforgettable sauerkraut salad. The church ladies love it!

Now about that cabbage--boiled, fried, wrapped around hamburger, added to a beef broth soup--nothing you do will ruin it. There are at least 100 recipes for cole slaw, and they're all good.

One more hint: Our local New River catfish respond quite well to being filleted, soaked in a tempura batter, rolled in cracker crumbs made with Cheez-its, then deep-fat fried. Hit don't git no better.

If Momma is home when you come, she can make a sweet'n'sour pork and shrimp that will grow hair on a billiard ball, take the rag off'n the bush, make you throw your hat in the creek, and make you slap your grandma.

My Dad told me he didn't care who he owed when he died, as long as he didn't owe his stomach anything . . . I intend to keep the tradition alive. (At least until . . . until . . . until . . .)

The advice from Oldad the Elder to Oldad the Younger is worthy of a nice Golden Spur. Therefore, upon a recommendation from Jane the Pain, I grant a (non-edible) spur. Sorry Jane, I don't know how to send an edible spur...

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Image
David Flick
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum