Battle for our "culture"

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Postby Hal Eaton » Sat Oct 29, 2005 5:38 pm

Watching Tom Brokaw's program, I waited in vain for him to ask more pointed questions of Haggard. I, too, felt Haggard was sincere--but that's not enough.

Some of Haggard's primary goals (which he re-phrased as urgencies) included the attempt to elect representatives who would "speak for God" in the same way Haggard does. Nowhere did Brokaw pin-point the real problem with such an attitude. Most of Haggard's targets--abortion, same-sex marriage, and peripherally, the environment--seemed to be in the category of "This is how I (we) see it, therefore it is legal and ethical to enforce my (our) view on the whole electorate."

The smugness with which he looked at his watch, then announced, "The White House will be calling me in three and a half hours," was a bell-ringer. For all his supposed wisdom, he can't see a vote-accumulating ploy by the Washington/Republican/White House crowd?

(Or am I just jealous since they haven't called me?)
Hal Eaton

Missed it

Postby fox » Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:28 pm

But read about it three months ago. I shook hands with Brokaw couple years ago and am a fan, but I think this episode if the preview was any indication is so much warm spit.
INFORMED GADFLY

Fox's Blog
fox

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum