[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Still looking for a church...

Still looking for a church...

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Still looking for a church...

Postby Hezzie » Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:25 pm

Alas, JohnTS will not like the church we attended last week and are considering as a new church home after our recent move!!!

After a few visits to a non-Baptist church, we attended a local Free Will Baptist church. My maternal grandparents were Free Will Baptists, but had left that church by the time I was old enough to attend. Still, the roots are there. My mother is a member of an SBC church, but continues to deny the doctrine of Perseverance of the Saints because of this. Random thoughts:

1. This church has recently undergone a name-change to drop "Free Will" and "Baptist" from its name. Now for all outward appearances it is a non-denomonational church (I think they want it this way; no reference to FWBs on their website either). Thus, I don't know how formal a relationship they have with the denomonation, though I note that the pastor is a trustee at the local FWB College.

2. Because this church is large and "modern", I don't know whether they practice foot washing as do most FWBs. But it wouldn't bother me if they did.

3. My wife (who is very conservative) strongly adheres to Perseverance, but is willing to attend here if I wish, though with reservations about this docrinal point.

4. This is a choice which would get me out of the SBC (which I want), but still allow me to nurture Baptist roots in my children.

5. FWB doctrinal statement specifically refers to inerrancy (which makes me cringe). OTOH, this local church stresses unity in all matters and open acceptance of folks from other denomonational backgrounds, and has no docrinal statement save the usual "in essentials unity..." statement.

6. My deceased grandmother, who was one of the Free Will Baptist grandparents, has been the greatest Christian influence on my life. I feel a slight desire to attend for no other reason than to honor her memory (She would be so proud!).

7. The church has modern worship (which we like) and a Willow Creek-style kids program (which we also like).

8. The church has grown 20% a year for the past 2 years.

9. The church has a class for prospective members which we have not yet attended. Thus, I have not had a chance to get many of my questions answered.

I am interested in honest advice/comments/prayer from any of you as we make this decision.
Hezzie

Postby Wade » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:29 pm

Wade

Re: Still looking for a church...

Postby David Flick » Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:41 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Hezzie » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:48 am

Hezzie

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum