[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Namesake of a Tune

Namesake of a Tune

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Namesake of a Tune

Postby Haruo » Fri May 17, 2019 7:39 pm

Early yesterday morning (I guess it was) I posted in the "Sankta Harmonio" Facebook group (where I discuss my progress and travails in the direction of my polyglot oblong shapenote tunebook due out (at least in a preliminary "sampler" edition in July 2020. I asked if anybody knew any good "shapenotey" tunes in the 6.6.7.7.7.7 meter, a fairly uncommon meter that Charles Wesley wrote a few hymns in. Before the morning was out, Rachel Wells Hall in Virginia pointed me to one in the Christian Harmony (300 DESIRE)

DESIRE 66.77.77 Grief Like Thine.jpg

and then Mitchell Stecker in Charleston, SC, composed a new one and named it after me!!

ROSS 66.77.77.jpg

I mean like wow! I am both honored and amazed at the usefulness of Facebook, and at the helpfulness of the shapenote community. Both tunes are perfectly suitable for the Wesley tunes in question, and now they require me to come up with versions in Esperanto and, if possible, other languages.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Re: Namesake of a Tune

Postby Rvaughn » Fri May 17, 2019 8:45 pm

Nice. Now you have two tunes and a namesake.
Rvaughn

Postby Haruo » Sat May 18, 2019 12:11 am

We sang it this evening and it worked very well. It was a Cooper Book singing, and we sang one of your compositions, too.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Sun May 19, 2019 1:43 pm

Rvaughn

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum