[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Do you have your sermon ready?

Do you have your sermon ready?

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Do you have your sermon ready?

Postby Rvaughn » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:14 pm

Rvaughn

Re: Do you have your sermon ready?

Postby Sandy » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:23 pm

I don't think I would change what I had planned to preach. Most of my preaching is supply preaching anyway and I don't think it would be serving its purpose to change that because of the presence of one person.

I've been hanging out here for a while, and I might be able to guess what others who post here would do. So let's see who would and who wouldn't.
Sandy

Postby Haruo » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:26 pm

I just hope I wouldn't be called to preach that day. Can't imagine that I would be. I probably preached half a dozen times in the evening service and a couple times in other settings, but never in Sunday morning worship in English. (I have preached a couple times in Esperanto on Sunday mornings, and maybe I could do that to Trump just to see if he's listening.)
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:38 am

I’m not changing my sermon because a famous visitor shows up. Preaching isn’t for the targeting of individuals, its for the congregation of God’s people as a whole.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:54 am

I had a reply thought out to post this morning. After reading Tim Bonney's post, I'll just repeat, "What he said!"
Rvaughn

Postby Dave Roberts » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:00 am

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:42 am

Never had a President in the congregation, but I did a funeral once and had the state governor, one US senator, and one US House member in attendance. Because it was the funeral of a member of our church, even though he had great connections, we spoke of him as our friend, one who sat often in the pews, and one who served his community. No political comments entered the service.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:54 am

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:10 pm

I attended Mt. Zion Baptist (Seattle's "First Black Baptist) Church on a Sunday in I think 1992 when Bill Clinton was in the congregation. I sure recall the Secret Service presence, but don't recall the sermon, couldn't tell you if it was obviously crafted as a political prop for the visiting candidate. (I'm sure it wasn't aimed *against* him, or I would remember it.)
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum