Jim Clark - RIP

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Jim Clark - RIP

Postby David Flick » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:07 pm

Jim was a very good friend of mine. Although I never met him in person, I did talk with him on the phone many times. We regularly communicated with each other via email. He was a prolific author. I read 10 of the 19 books he wrote, mostly his novels, collections of short stories and poetry. I especially enjoyed reading his books of poems. He wrote three of them. Several of his novels were outstanding, IMHO.

I am aware that several of his BL.Com friends did not like his responses when in the heat of discussions, but one thing is certian, he never engaged in name calling. He had a unique way of writing a rejoinder that pretty much put his opponent down without engaging in name calling. He had a sharp humorous wit. Often he would write a short humorous poem to make his point. This thread is an excellent example. I didn't always agree with everything he wrote, but I always respected his opinion. Generally, however, I agreed with 99% of his opinions.

Last, but not least, I enjoyed his hymns. His talent for writing poetry obviously helped when writing hymns. My daughter is a pianist for a large Nazarene Church in Bethany. Through her, I was able to hear the tunes to many of the hymns. All were quite good. Most of his hymns carried the old traditional hymn tune styles, which was much to my liking since I am only eleven years his junior. I shall truly miss Jim's presence on BL.Com.
David Flick
Site Admin

Re: Jim Clark - RIP

Postby Dave Roberts » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:27 pm

Sorry to learn of Jim's death. RIP!
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:17 pm

He had mentioned that he had been quite ill after a long absence from here and wasn't as frequent with his posts after his return. I did not often agree with him, but did, most of the time, appreciate his creative spirit when he'd come up with a poem or a hymn. I'm sorry to hear of his passing, and will pray for the family he left behind.
Sandy
Sandy

Postby Haruo » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:37 pm

I hope that his next of kin, heirs, and/or assigns will make an effort to conserve his works as a tunesmith. I am hoping to use one of his tunes in my polyglot shapenote tunebook; I already used it (in round notes, melody on top) in my 2005/6 "Cousins Christmas Carol Collection".
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:26 pm

David, thanks for letting us know about Jim's passing. I had not interacted with him a great deal, but enjoyed his posts, especially about his songs. I was sad when I clicked on his web site and it doesn't come up. http://www.clarkscorner.org/ I was going to look back over some of his songs.

May the Lord comfort and bless those he left behind.
Last edited by Rvaughn on Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rvaughn

Postby Haruo » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:45 pm

I am happy to report that while clarkscorner.org may no longer be extant, it has been accepted into Madame Tussaud's virtual waxworks and can be seen daily at https://web.archive.org/web/20180811095706/http://clarkscorner.org/. Copy out what you need against the day when archive.org becomes a fee-only place and/or community standards require the elimination of Jim's opinions. (I hope I'm kidding.)
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:56 am

I purchased Jim’s A Layman's Theology written in 2008 and found the few portions I have actually read to be refreshingly written in layman's language freer from the sarcasm I found in his writings herein on BL.

Here is one that I actually picked out to use in a class I will have in April as one of several options of belief surrounding the The Problem of Evil.

In the cases in which God used raw power, whether to rearrange nature phenomena or simply executed an attitude adjustment, He did not coerce people so much as He instituted conditions forcing them to use their minds to come to conclusions and consequent behavior thought by God to be appropriate.

underlines mine.

I could agree wholly with that, if the word “forcing” was changed to “urging”. To me “forcing” means “coercing”.

I will continue to consult his book for a more folksy discussion of real theological points. RIP.
Last edited by KeithE on Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:50 pm

I should probably get that one.
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:21 am

Haruo wrote:I am happy to report that while clarkscorner.org may no longer be extant, it has been accepted into Madame Tussaud's virtual waxworks and can be seen daily at https://web.archive.org/web/20180811095706/http://clarkscorner.org/. Copy out what you need against the day when archive.org becomes a fee-only place and/or community standards require the elimination of Jim's opinions. (I hope I'm kidding.)
Thanks, Leland.
Rvaughn

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum