[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Liberty no longer the "World's Largest Christian University"

Liberty no longer the "World's Largest Christian University"

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Liberty no longer the "World's Largest Christian University"

Postby Sandy » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:04 am

https://religionnews.com/2018/04/27/lib ... niversity/

Enrollment declines at Liberty University, both on campus and on-line, have led to the school's no longer being proclaimed as the "World's largest Christian university." That title now belongs to Grand Canyon University in Phoenix. GCU, which happens to be my alma mater, has about 5,000 more on-campus students than Liberty, and apparently last spring surpassed them in on-line enrollment as well. GCU started out as an SBC state-convention related school which had achieved the milestone of having more than 1,000 students on campus about two years before I enrolled. The enrollment was 1,300 during my first year there, and it crept up to 1,500 by the time I graduated. Disaster struck in the 90's, with the scandal at the Baptist Foundation of Arizona and the school was on the verge of closing but saved itself by disconnecting from the state convention, declaring a self-perpetuating board of trustees who promptly sold the school to a group made up mostly of alumni and business supporters. The expansion of the on-line programs and the campus itself has been nothing short of remarkable.

Support for and close alignment with Trump by Jerry Falwell Jr. has been attributed to the loss of numbers at LU, particularly on-line registration.

https://cacoethisscribendiblog.wordpres ... ma-maters/
Sandy

Re: Liberty no longer the "World's Largest Christian Univers

Postby William Thornton » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:08 am

Falwell/trump aside, I'm one SBCer that hates to see LU's ads in SBC publications and their booth at the convention.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:32 pm

Sandy, did you get the attribution inverted? What you wrote sounds like your sources think that Liberty supports Trump because of its falling enrollment, whereas I think it's probably the other way around, the support of Trump is so partisan that it is leading to falling enrollment among those who want a nonpartisan Jesus in their (kids') college leadership.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:24 pm

Sandy

Postby John Sneed » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:24 pm

William,

I am sorry to see that you are so unhappy seeing Liberty around the SBC. I feel the opposite, but then, I am a Liberty alumni (BSc '94). I am excited to see the school in and around the SBC.
John Sneed

Trump Cohen and Liberty

Postby Stephen Fox » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:00 pm

Wednesday Cohen said a poli sci pollster at Liberty Kaysinger I think was the name, did a push poll for Trump campaign and moved him up nine spots from a CNN poll. Keep an eye on Mark Meadows of Truett's WNC congressional district. He may be unraveling, this Southern Baptist transplant from Florida, who settled in Highlands NC and had some mixed race nieces and nephews along the way.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum