Books for Christmas

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Books for Christmas

Postby Rvaughn » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:05 am

One thing I like about Christmas is that I usually get books out of the deal! Here's what I received this year:

• Echoes of the Call: Identity and Ideology among American Missionaries in Ecuador, Jeffrey Swanson, Oxford University Press, 1995
  • Frontier Mission: a History of Religion West of the Southern Appalachians to 1861, Walter Brownlow Posey, University of Kentucky Press, 1966
  • Hallowed Hymns: a Companion of Hallowed Songs, Philip Phillips, New York, NY: Philip Phillips, 1871
  • Precious Hymns for Times of Refreshing and Revival, Thomas Harrison, Philadelphia, PA: John J. Hood, 1886
  • Pure Gold for the Sunday School: a New Collection of Songs, Prepared and Adapted for Sunday School Exercises, Robert Wadsworth Lowry and William Howard Doane, New York, NY: Biglow and Main, 1871
  • Royal Diadem for the Sunday School, Robert Wadsworth Lowry and William Howard Doane, New York, NY: Biglow and Main, 1873
Did any of you get books? If so, what?
Rvaughn

Re: Books for Christmas

Postby Haruo » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:53 pm

Pavlina bought me a bunch of Mennonite hymnals and I bought her a Mennonite cookbook.
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:28 pm

So you will sing to her and she will cook for you? ;-)

I noticed your post about The Star of Bethlehem on Facebook. Looks like a nice book.
Rvaughn

Postby Haruo » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:39 pm

Rvaughn wrote:So you will sing to her and she will cook for you? ;-)

I noticed your post about The Star of Bethlehem on Facebook. Looks like a nice book.

Since Christmas is still on for another week or two*, if you'll send me your mailing address (I know I've had it in the past but not sure where it is) I'll send you your choice of a copy of Star of Bethlenem, which I think you will find at the least interesting, and/or a BITTER CUP coffee cup from either Florida or New England. You can choose any or all of the three (book, FL mug, NE mug). Let me know!

*Remember, I celebrate Advent/Christmas/Epiphany from the beginning of the seven-Sunday Advent (Nov 11 this time around) until the equivalent of Epiphany if the twelve days of Christmas began on Armenian Orthodox Christmas (our January 19), i.e. Feb. 2 (which is of course also Candlemas). So I have until the beginning of February to get folks their presents before they're officially "late".
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:31 pm

That's exceptionally gracious of you to do that! I don't want to be greedy, but I'd love to have both the book and the Florida Bitter Cup! If acceptable, I'll send you my mailing address via Facebook.
Rvaughn

Postby Haruo » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:44 pm

Rvaughn wrote:That's exceptionally gracious of you to do that! I don't want to be greedy, but I'd love to have both the book and the Florida Bitter Cup! If acceptable, I'll send you my mailing address via Facebook.

By all means. It'll be a pleasure.
Haruo
Site Admin

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum