[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Medishare and the like

Medishare and the like

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Medishare and the like

Postby Haruo » Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:46 pm

Reminds me a lot of the Bishop's Storehouse of LDS fame. I'm interested in your takes on the ethics (and morality even) of social services provided as a ministry but only to the elect. Personally, I think it's in effect, if not in intent, unchristian and unchristlike, but I can imagine possibly participating in it for financial reasons, and I know there are many who do so without having deeply investigated the spiritual implications. But then, I'm in favor of universal single-payer health insurance/care, and don't believe that having your own fire insurance ought to relieve one of the duty to support the Fire Department, nor that non-smokers should be allowed to pay a reduced tax rate for either one.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Re: Medishare and the like

Postby William Thornton » Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:54 pm

Is a certain faith required or just a marketing tool?
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:01 pm

Leland, first I want to mention that it looks like BaptistLife somehow quadruple posted your post. Don't know if you noticed that.

Second, I don't know anything about the Bishop's Storehouse of the LDS fame, or very little about Medishare. (I found their web site , but haven't looked at it otherwise.) I am aware of a couple of families who participate in some kind of medical sharing. I don't see anything unchristian and un-Christlike about them trying to find something they can afford to help with the medical expenses of their family. You say you are in favor of a universal single-payer health insurance/care, but we in fact do not have that. We do not have affordable healthcare for everyone, so why would a family's attempt to find what is affordable for them be un-Christlike?
Rvaughn

Postby Haruo » Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:30 am

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:47 am

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Jon Estes » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:24 am

Living in Dubai for that which I was purposed
Jon Estes

Postby Haruo » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:06 am

What's health care like in Dubai?

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Jon Estes » Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:50 pm

Jon Estes

Postby Sandy » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:53 pm

Sandy

Postby Jon Estes » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:54 am

Jon Estes

Postby William Thornton » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:20 am

Sandy: " half of what is paid by everyone, healthy or not, goes to the profit margin."

This is a nonsensical statement.

I know a few colleagues who are in some type of medical sharing plan. They are happy. Premiums are much lower. I don't know a lot about the plans but I suspect that it is unworkable except on a limited scale. With Obamacare around, if one of these alternative plans collapse, clients can easily jump back on the gummit plan. I'd guess that someone makes big money on these sharing plans but haven't really looked into it.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:31 am

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:02 am

Knew I could count on you for profit data, bro. Thanks.

On medishare, I think we're talking past each other. These are voluntary plans, are they not? I'm not well versed in them.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:29 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:12 pm

If not voluntary then we're apples and oranges here.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:02 pm

Sandy

Postby Sandy » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:16 pm

Sandy

Postby Haruo » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:17 pm

The problem seems to be that a lot of people have bought into a line that says privatization and the extraction of profit for shareholders will somehow drive the cost of goods and services down. This is one of those GOP myths that an article Keith recently linked and then unlinked was built around.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:15 pm

Sandy

Postby Jon Estes » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:33 am

The average income for a medical doctor in the US is just under $180,000.00. When you need treatment for your ills and the doctor comes in and does everything that can be done to make you better... how much is that worth to you?

I do wonder how many people would go into the field of medicine if there was not such a financial reward in salary? I do wonder how we would feel if a hospital didn't have the reserve funds to purchase the best equipment when they are available, so we can best be served? I do wonder if we would take our family members to a second-rate hospital if we knew a cutting-edge hospital was available and better for them?

There will always be good people who cannot afford the cost and be unable to pay the bill. These factors have to be considered in the cost for those who can. This is not a redistribution of the wealth but it is a good business practice.
Jon Estes

Postby Haruo » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:48 am

All good and valid things to wonder about. Thanks, Jon and Sandy for useful input.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:38 pm

Sandy

Postby KeithE » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:14 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:13 pm

Yet we let them do it because they are "private enterprise" and thus surely provide the most return on investment.

Haruo
Site Admin

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum