Advent Faith & Practice

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Advent Faith & Practice

Postby Haruo » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:29 am

This is a repository thread for any and all matters pertaining to Advent. Dave Roberts recently started a thread on Devotional practices where the subject of Advent arose, and that motivated me to try to create this central thread for the season, sort of à la the global warming threads of yore.

There are a couple of older threads on the subject, focusing on
respectively.
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
Haruo
Site Admin

Veni, veni Emmanuel and Candle-lighting hymns

Postby Haruo » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:34 am

It's probably some sort of OCD or niche autism or something on my part, but I like things like the O Antiphons, and the somewhat related Advent-candle-lighting hymns.

The O Antiphons part is also hymnic, since rather than chanting the antiphons in Latin, I like to sing the pertinent stanzas of Veni, veni Emmanuel, one at a time, backwards so they culminate in Emmanuel. Since there are seven stanzas (seven antiphons) I like to do one per Sunday throughout the Extended Advent, which this year began on Armistice 100 Day. I like the playfully reverent prophetic vision involved in singing Wisdom-Lord-Shoot-Key-Dayspring-King-Emmanuel, one per week (and also one per evening in the final week) and then turning it on its head and singing all seven starting with Emmanuel on Christmas Eve.

But even though it's a weak cousin, in a four-Sunday Advent I like the idea of singing a candle-lighting hymn, one stanza a week, and then recapitulating them on Christmas Eve. There are two such hymns that occur to me off the top of my head when the season rolls round, namely "One Candle Is Lit" (originally in the Chalice Hymnal) and the one in Celebrating Grace, which I'll have to look up... ah yes, David Montoya's "Light the Light, the Fire of Life". Here's the culminating stanza of Montoya's hymn; the tune is IL EST NÉ ("He is born, the divine Christ-child"):
Light the Light, the Fire of Life, let the candle reveal His glory,
Jesus Christ has come to earth and for us shall come again.
Light the candle of His birth, Advent’s promise now fulfilling,
Light the candle of His birth, light the light of Christmas Eve.
Light the Light, the Fire of Life, let the candle reveal His glory,
Jesus Christ has come to earth and for us shall come again.

Several others are given in this Mudcat thread of mine from 16 years ago: Advent Candle Songs.
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
Haruo
Site Admin

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum