Interfaith Worship this morning

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Interfaith Worship this morning

Postby Haruo » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:21 am

A group of Pacific Northwest Sacred Harp Singers (myself among them) will be singing (and inviting the congregation to sing, too) at the Interfaith Worship Sanctuary this morning at the 10 AM service. The songlist will be

45t NEW BRITAIN
49t OLD HUNDRED
159 WONDROUS LOVE
63 CORONATION
86 POLAND
186 SHERBURNE
441 RAYMOND
306 OXFORD
273 MILFORD
198 GREEN STREET

I'll report back.

And this evening will be one of the local shapenote community's main Advent/Christmas events, THANKSOLCEKAHZAMAS, a potluck dinner followed by singing from An American Christmas Harp. Busy time of year. Last night was the annual Yule Tide Concert, a maritime/Christmas staple here.
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
Haruo
Site Admin

Re: Interfaith Worship this morning

Postby Haruo » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:16 pm

It was fun, and a great space to sing in, acousticswise.

And it was an interesting service outside of our contributions.

I took some photos that I will post when I can download them. The building is the oldest (1890) wood-frame church in Seattle (that is still in use as a church; there are a few possible competitors that have been repurposed).

At the evening singing, I distributed this song supplement, from which we sang two numbers, including one where I actually wrote the words. I'm feeling pride.
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:02 pm

Haruo wrote:At the evening singing, I distributed this song supplement, from which we sang two numbers, including one where I actually wrote the words. I'm feeling pride.
How did "Rudolph" with MARTIN go, if you happened to sing that?
Rvaughn

Postby KeithE » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:54 am

I went to an interfaith (Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, and Judaism all represented) the Sunday evening prior to Thanksgiving. The sermon emphasized that if you focussed on “gratitude” more than “expectations”, you will be happier and closer to God.

My cousin Linda and her husband Tom from Seattle (that is Linda Morris, who Haruo once met at First Covenant Church Seattle) were in Huntsville and attended as well. They were deeply impressed. Haruo- you may wish to tell them about any Interfaith or Musical services (Tom is a singer). Here is what they said about it in a note we just received.
We’ve been sharing about the United Thanksgiving service we attended - and are glad for the hopeful tone it set for the season ahead.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:49 pm

Rvaughn wrote:
Haruo wrote:At the evening singing, I distributed this song supplement, from which we sang two numbers, including one where I actually wrote the words. I'm feeling pride.

We didn't. When what turned out to be the closing song was sung, I was next in line (we went around the circle calling tunes). I had called 84 SAMANTHRA (text "See, see in the East" from Mercer's Cluster) earlier, and others had called "Leland's hymn", meaning Verses 1, 7 and 8 of "In Bethlem town the Christ was born" set to a seven-shape score of SOLID ROCK, and the first stanza of ES IST EIN ROS ENTSPRUNGEN. It was obviously the end of the evening, so I said, "Unless you all have a strong desire to try Rudolph, I'll pass." No one rushed to request it. The host said, "Unless anyone has one they need to lead, that last was a good closer." And we were done. Very enjoyable, all of it.
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:28 am

Rvaughn wrote:
This evening at Song Circle, I led five songs:

• Malamikete de las Nacjes, in proto-Esperanto and English、to the beginning of La Marseillaise, for Zamenhof's Birthday, which was yesterday
  • Ho Zamenhof, Ho Zamenhof, to O Tannenbaum , in Esperanto
  • Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, to MARTIN aka MARTYN
  • The Fox Went Out on a Windy Night, for my dad's 102nd birthday
  • O Lutefisk, O Lutefisk
Rudolph to MARTIN has now been done, at least for the year.
Haruo
Site Admin

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum