[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Did Paul cuss?

Did Paul cuss?

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Did Paul cuss?

Postby Chris » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:46 am

Last Wednesday night, our bible study was taken from Paul's letter to Galatians. Our pastor shocked most of us when he said, "It's clear, here, that Paul was angry...In fact, if you read this in Greek, you'll find that Paul used cuss words." Do any of you Greek scholars agree or disagree that Paul used colorful language in talking to the Galatians? More important, does Omarosa have it on tape?
Chris

Re: Did Paul cuss?

Postby William Thornton » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:07 am

Assume the reference is to the me genoito strong negative. Seldom used. To call it profanity is a contemporary imposition, seems to me. But preachers like to be clever and hip and cussing is the route some take.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:17 pm

Clarence Jordan, one of the outstanding Greek scholars among Baptists, translated that in the "Cotton Patch" epistles as "Hell, no!" That is probably far closer than "God forbid!" The truth is that we don't know what the phrase meant in Paul's world, IMHO.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:23 am

In the fall of 1963, if I recall correctly, November 22nd, a lone gunman supposedly shot and killed JFK, ¿no? In the weeks that followed, I wrote a play, the script of what would now be called a docudrama, about that day's events in Dallas. My parents were (I think, but then I wasn't a neutral observer) rightly proud of their nine-year-old son's use of his literacy, and when we went to Spokane to celebrate Christmas with Grandma (my dad's mom), they showed it to her, expecting I think a positive, appreciative response. Instead, Grandma focused on the scene where, drawing the soliloquy directly from reports in the press, I had put into some woman observer's mouth the phrase "Oh my God! They shot the President" or words to that effect. She pointed it out to my dad and said, "John, you should wash out Lee's mouth with soap and water. He took the name of the Lord in vain!"
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum