Serendipity strikes our driveway

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Serendipity strikes our driveway

Postby Haruo » Thu May 24, 2018 11:46 am

From Facebook:
It's a very big, very SMALL world sometimes. Today as I was getting ready to go out, a woman with two little kids walked by on the sidewalk. When she got to where the sidewalk crosses our driveway, she noticed me up the driveway loading stuff in the car. She stopped and said, "Is this your car?" I said yes. She said "I've noticed it, the bumpersticker that says 'Esperanto the International Language that Works'." I said yes, I was an Esperanto-speaker. So we got into a conversation in which I told her about the politics of language in 19th-century Bialystok, and showed her our 16-language peace pole, and told about my experiences as a non-profit marijuana salesman in New Haven ca. 1973, and about how Esperanto saved my life in Switzerland that year, and so on and so forth. Somewhere along the line it came out that her husband is from northern Burma (she's a white-American-looking young woman; the kids looked a little Asian but not foreignly so). So I asked if he spoke Shan, and she said a little, but his native language is Kachin. "How do you know so much about languages of Burma?" So I said I'm a Baptist, and she looked surprised and said they were too, that they were members of the Evergreen Baptist Association. "I am too." They go to the Kachin-speaking Baptist church that meets at Panther Lake. So I said, in that case maybe you can help me with another project of mine, and I told her about Sankta Harmonio, my polyglot shapenote tunebook. Turns out the Kachin all sing solfège and in a very Sacred Harpy style, and she's into Sacred Harp, too, already knew about the mini-convention this weekend. Sure is a small world!

The post has garnered lots of responses and likes and whatnot from Baptist, shapenote, Esperantist, polyglot, and old-friend sources, including a new FB friendship with a shapenote-singing Baptist pastor in Pennsylvania with lots of Karens and other Burmese in her congregation, Katie Eichenlaub White.
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
Haruo
Site Admin

Re: Serendipity strikes our driveway

Postby Rvaughn » Thu May 24, 2018 2:24 pm

Haruo wrote:Turns out the Kachin all sing solfège and in a very Sacred Harpy style, and she's into Sacred Harp, too, already knew about the mini-convention this weekend. Sure is a small world!
Wow, neat.

Any idea of the background of solfège among the Kachin?
Rvaughn

Postby Haruo » Thu May 24, 2018 2:57 pm

Rvaughn wrote:
Haruo wrote:Turns out the Kachin all sing solfège and in a very Sacred Harpy style, and she's into Sacred Harp, too, already knew about the mini-convention this weekend. Sure is a small world!
Wow, neat.

Any idea of the background of solfège among the Kachin?

Not really, just know that lots of the Burmese minority groups became heavily infected with Baptist faith and practice in the early and mid-1800s; Adoniram Judson's mission was primarily to the Burmese-speaking plurality (the current Burmese Bible is still basically his translation), but fellow Baptist missionaries fanned out into the hinterland, and the minority groups that were tired of being oppressed by the very pompously Buddhist Burmese were ready and willing to embrace a new religious message. I'm most familiar with the Karen, whose hymnal is pretty much late-19th-century US Baptist in content, and their singing style is often very reminiscent of Sacred Harp too, though I haven't heard them actually singing notes. And of course it's roundnotes. But I'm sure I'll find out more soon. A week from Sunday I intend to attend the Kachin church.
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Fri May 25, 2018 7:59 am

Haruo wrote:From Facebook:
It's a very big, very SMALL world sometimes. Today as I was getting ready to go out, a woman with two little kids walked by on the sidewalk. When she got to where the sidewalk crosses our driveway, she noticed me up the driveway loading stuff in the car. She stopped and said, "Is this your car?" I said yes. She said "I've noticed it, the bumpersticker that says 'Esperanto the International Language that Works'." I said yes, I was an Esperanto-speaker. So we got into a conversation in which I told her about the politics of language in 19th-century Bialystok, and showed her our 16-language peace pole, and told about my experiences as a non-profit marijuana salesman in New Haven ca. 1973, and about how Esperanto saved my life in Switzerland that year, and so on and so forth. Somewhere along the line it came out that her husband is from northern Burma (she's a white-American-looking young woman; the kids looked a little Asian but not foreignly so). So I asked if he spoke Shan, and she said a little, but his native language is Kachin. "How do you know so much about languages of Burma?" So I said I'm a Baptist, and she looked surprised and said they were too, that they were members of the Evergreen Baptist Association. "I am too." They go to the Kachin-speaking Baptist church that meets at Panther Lake. So I said, in that case maybe you can help me with another project of mine, and I told her about Sankta Harmonio, my polyglot shapenote tunebook. Turns out the Kachin all sing solfège and in a very Sacred Harpy style, and she's into Sacred Harp, too, already knew about the mini-convention this weekend. Sure is a small world!

The post has garnered lots of responses and likes and whatnot from Baptist, shapenote, Esperantist, polyglot, and old-friend sources, including a new FB friendship with a shapenote-singing Baptist pastor in Pennsylvania with lots of Karens and other Burmese in her congregation, Katie Eichenlaub White.

Where is the church in Pennsylvania?
Sandy

Postby Tim Bonney » Fri May 25, 2018 8:07 am

Haruo wrote:The post has garnered lots of responses and likes and whatnot from Baptist, shapenote, Esperantist, polyglot, and old-friend sources, including a new FB friendship with a shapenote-singing Baptist pastor in Pennsylvania with lots of Karens and other Burmese in her congregation, Katie Eichenlaub White.

Very cool!
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
My Blog - http://timbonney.com
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Fri May 25, 2018 8:19 am

Sandy wrote:Where is the church in Pennsylvania?
Leland can correct this if I'm wrong, but I believe it is Crossroads Community Baptist Church, 5827 Old French Rd Erie, Pennsylvania.
Rvaughn

Postby Haruo » Fri May 25, 2018 11:38 am

Rvaughn wrote:
Sandy wrote:Where is the church in Pennsylvania?
Leland can correct this if I'm wrong, but I believe it is Crossroads Community Baptist Church, 5827 Old French Rd Erie, Pennsylvania.

I didn't note the address, but that sounds plausible.
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby James » Sat May 26, 2018 3:16 pm

Haruo or anyone else.

Reading this thread reminds me of a student at Emory who was from Burma. He was a regular at all BSU activities. He was/is a part of a minority tribe in the jungles of Burma. He came to America to prepare himself for the task of translating the Bible into his native tongue. His name, spelled phonetically, was Forth Nai-song. Do you think your new friends might know him.
James

Postby Haruo » Sat May 26, 2018 7:44 pm

James wrote:Haruo or anyone else.

Reading this thread reminds me of a student at Emory who was from Burma. He was a regular at all BSU activities. He was/is a part of a minority tribe in the jungles of Burma. He came to America to prepare himself for the task of translating the Bible into his native tongue. His name, spelled phonetically, was Forth Nai-song. Do you think your new friends might know him.

When was this? What was the tribe? There are a lot of tribes and languages in Burma, and it would certainly help to know this.
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby James » Sat May 26, 2018 10:27 pm

I do not know the tribe or the language. I will try to talk to one of my old BSU buddies who knew him better and find out.

I just wonder if he ever did the translation.
James

Postby Haruo » Sat May 26, 2018 11:03 pm

If you find out, then let us know and I can check. Without his tribe it will be difficult, I'm guessing, to check on his fame. But I'll pass along the name and see if it rings a bell.
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby James » Mon May 28, 2018 1:53 pm

Thanks Haruo
James

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum