[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - One Underlining Principle

One Underlining Principle

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

One Underlining Principle

Postby James » Wed May 23, 2018 7:40 pm

I just read several recent threads addressing several aspects of the differences between white evangelicalism and everybody else. The thought came to me that the ethics of any branch of Christianity should give due diligence to one principle of ethics which is repeated more times (52) than any other. It usually goes something like this, "and remember to be kind to widows, orphans and the stranger/alien who walks among you." That is social ethics in a nutshell.
James

James

Re: One Underlining Principle

Postby KeithE » Thu May 24, 2018 8:55 am

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Thu May 24, 2018 1:11 pm

James, good to hear from you, and you are exactly on point with this. We want the exceptions we like, no matter how it may distort the principle.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby James » Fri May 25, 2018 10:46 am

Thank you for your responses. I was prepared for no responses on this one.

My last degree from formal education was a ThM from Southern in social ethics. My latest project to keep my mind off things about which I can do little or nothing is to read the Bible through from Gen 1:1 to Rev whatever. I'm kind of stuck on 1 Sam right but this will probably get me back to it. As I read I also record my thoughts on what I read. In plowing through Leviticus, I discovered something I did not expect. There is the outline of a safety net for those in need. That this particular safety would probably not work in a society where most of us live in or near urban centers is not an issue. The issue is that our oldest spriritual ancestors had a safety net that worked for them. Some white evangelicals understand this, but many, obviously, do not.
James

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum