Quote of the month

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Quote of the month

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:06 pm

There is no perfect place to put this but this forum of the options on this board is as good as any. More secular than Baptist, it's implications for pockets of the Baptist controversy of the last 30 are self evident, to me at least. From Lionel Trilling put to good use in a recent review of a new book on feminism, but I think is most appropo of other generational pilgrimages:

But The Female Persuasion also makes a strong case for critic Lionel Trilling's theory that the novel of ideas is a critical tool against overconfidence —particularly the blithe overconfidence of smart people (radical, liberal or conservative) who think they've arrived at readily satisfying solutions to political and personal questions. As Wolitzer dramatizes, life isn't that straightforward and art shouldn't be either.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: Quote of the month

Postby KeithE » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:16 am

Stephen Fox wrote:There is no perfect place to put this but this forum of the options on this board is as good as any. More secular than Baptist, it's implications for pockets of the Baptist controversy of the last 30 are self evident, to me at least. From Lionel Trilling put to good use in a recent review of a new book on feminism, but I think is most appropo of other generational pilgrimages:

But The Female Persuasion also makes a strong case for critic Lionel Trilling's theory that the novel of ideas is a critical tool against overconfidence —particularly the blithe overconfidence of smart people (radical, liberal or conservative) who think they've arrived at readily satisfying solutions to political and personal questions. As Wolitzer dramatizes, life isn't that straightforward and art shouldn't be either.

OK, I guess you are talking about this recently released novel. The Female Persuasion by Meg Wolitizer. Did you read it? Where did your quote above (But The ...either) come from? Not in the Amazon comments on the book. If that quote is from you - where did you put that quote?

Did it remind you of some Lionel Trilling quote? Literary Critic Trilling died in 1975. Here are some of his quotes. Not a bad set of quotes, but which one did you have in mind?

Just trying to understand.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Re: Quote of the month

Postby Haruo » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:11 am

Or did you mean someone else and type Trilling by mistake? Sort of like meaning to type Trump but typing Carter?
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
Haruo
Site Admin

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum