[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Liberty U Gone Berserk

Liberty U Gone Berserk

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Liberty U Gone Berserk

Postby KeithE » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:07 pm

Posted on the Baptist History and Heritage Forum by none other than Stephen Fox, this needs to read by a wide audience.

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Re: Liberty U Gone Berserk

Postby Haruo » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:23 am

Thanks, Keith!
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:23 am

Hasn't just gone--been that way for a long time.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Jon Estes » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:09 am

What did LU do wrong or crazy?

Forbid someone from coming on their campus who has a record of verbal assault against LU?

Even this web site form has lines drawn that one should not cross if they want to be welcome here. I think we all support that. Why is the principle right for some and not others?
Living in Dubai for that which I was purposed
Jon Estes

Postby Dave Roberts » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:23 am

I am watching LU trying to get graduates into BGAV churches to steal churches for the SBCV. They operate under false pretenses, get the pastor in, and then he attacks to allegiances of the church and tells them that to follow God, they need to change state conventions. It that is ethical, I'm a monkey's uncle. Of course, the way Jerry, Sr., built Thomas Road was by giving bicycles and other rewards to the lucky bus rider and by standing out from other Baptists in Lynchburg by supporting segregation. I know, that's old news.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:55 am

Bob Jones still seems to be pretty pro-white.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Jon Estes » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:28 pm

Jon Estes

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:33 pm

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:07 pm

Standing up against LU's white Christian nationalist perspective isn't "verbal assault." This guy's perspective is more consistent with Biblical principles than the school's perspective is. So he is banned from Campus, but they're OK putting a Mormon or an immoral philandering adulterer in their chapel speaking spot.

Among the ranks of the Christian school students and parents I work with, Liberty isn't a high choice.
Sandy

Postby Haruo » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:20 pm

There's a fairly prominent though relatively new American Esperantist, Alex Miller, who graduated from Liberty (and whose father, I think, teaches there). He's written a couple of really cute bilingual children's books.

But I still mainly associate Liberty with , at least I think I do.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:04 pm

Junior’s full thoated suppor for Trump is bizarre at best. His father’s supporters in the “Moral Majority” of Jerry Senior’s days would be floored with Falwell Jr.’s support of Trump. I can’t think of a least personally moral man in the White House in my lifetime.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:42 am

Every BGAV church listed as having a pastor leave receives resumes from the LU Divinity School, unsolicited. Those come blind, but as Tim pointed out, search committees often do not train on how to get a pastor who can lead them in chosen directions. In far too many churches, one good sermon and you are in.

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Jon Estes » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:51 am

Jon Estes

Postby Jon Estes » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:57 am

Jon Estes

Postby Dave Roberts » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:18 am

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:30 am

I’m going to ask a recent LU Sem graduate (on line student) about this practice of a ‘con in sheep’s clothing’ tactic. I suspect it is side cabal of on campus ministerial students / conniving profs - if it is real at all.
Last edited by KeithE on Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:31 am

Sandy

Postby JE Pettibone » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:21 am

JE Pettibone

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:33 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:53 am

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Jon Estes » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:17 am

Jon Estes

Postby Jon Estes » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:21 am

Jon Estes

Postby Dave Roberts » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:35 am

My problem with LU is their confusion of Christianity and Americanism into the heresy or Americianity, a corruption of Christianity first identified in the writings of Robert McAfee Brown in the 1950's. Jon, you as an international pastor, should have this at the top of your list. The conflating of cultural values with those of Christ has always been, in my humble opinion, a form of idolatry that creates American exceptionalism and a sense that we as Americans share a special relationship with God, almost as a replacement for Israel. It also runs counter to the movement of Christianity which will soon, if it is not already, be centered in Africa and Latin America. Also, training drone pilots to bomb in the name of Christian America bothers me since Liberty trains more drone pilots for the US than any other institution. I realize this is just from me.

As far as LU's right to block someone from coming to their campus, I support that as much as I support more liberal institutions right to block conservative voices if they so choose. The property of univeersities is their property to administer as they see fit.

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:19 am

Sandy

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:55 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin