[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Liberty U Gone Berserk

Liberty U Gone Berserk

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Re: Liberty U Gone Berserk

Postby Sandy » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:21 pm

Sandy

Postby Haruo » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:58 pm

Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:48 pm

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Jon Estes » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:25 pm

Living in Dubai for that which I was purposed
Jon Estes

Postby KeithE » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:59 pm

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:19 pm

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Jon Estes » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:05 am

Jon Estes

Postby JE Pettibone » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:32 am

JE Pettibone

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:36 am

One major difference was that Bill Clinton asked for forgiveness from people showing at least a degree of contrition. DT has not publicly admitted that he has done anything wrong.

Back to LU. This morning in a piece on student loan defaults in VA, LU was reported as now having over 3,000 current or former students in default on student loan repayments to the federal student loan program. One of the things that bugs me about them is that to get students, they offer lots of freshman scholarships. After the first year, these are not renewable and students face the full costs with which they are directed to federal student loans. I've had church members receive those and have to drop out after one year because the bait did not lead to additional help. Every year they send a letter to pastors asking them to nominate students for their freshman scholarships, and those letters nowhere say that the scholarships are not renewable.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Jon Estes » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:57 am

Jon Estes

Postby Sandy » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:25 am

Sandy

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:53 am

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:11 am

Arguments invoking the Clintons, particularly Bill, are simply diversions from the real issue. When someone starts in on that, they are saying, loud and clear, that they have no real legitimate rebuttal of their own.
Sandy

Postby Jon Estes » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:53 am

Jon Estes

Postby Sandy » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:46 am

Sandy

Postby Jon Estes » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:14 pm

Jon Estes

Postby ET » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:02 pm

I'm Ed Thompson, and I approve this message.
ET

Postby KeithE » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:03 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:16 am

This story is a bit silly but mod/libs are always receptive to a good Falwell-bashing story even if it is a manufactured stunt. Maybe Junior was too aggressive with the publicity hound but he got what he wanted.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:47 am

:lol:

There's always a good reason, an ulterior motive, an exception, a conspiracy theory, allowing for the justification of bad behavior by those who have a high profile and prominent "ministry". Falwell has invited at least two Mormons and an immoral adulterer to address the entire student body at Liberty from a right-wing political perspective in a mandatory attendance venue. So along comes a group and a leader that make the claim of taking the words of Jesus literally and seriously, certainly more theologically centered than the Mormons, and in total moral contrast to Trump-style immorality, and holds a two day revival in Lynchburg built around a Biblically-centered message, not hijacked by right wing politics, and not connected to Thomas Road or Liberty, and got a lot of attention, including from a good sized segment of the Liberty student body. I'm sure that caused some consternation on Liberty Mountain, and irked the powers that be.

So what do you do when a group of Christians with plenty of credibility and a following, even among the students at your school, come to town for a revival and the leader suggests that you get together to pray? You threaten to have him arrested if he steps foot on your campus, where you've allowed a couple of heretics and an adulterer to speak to your students. You can make all of the excuses and point the finger at all the conspiracy theories and ulterior motives you want, a duck is still a duck. And I can't help thinking how much that scenario sounds like the triumphal entry narrative.

How much different would the headlines, and perceptions, be if Falwell Jr. had accepted the invitation, prayed with the guy, and then let him address the students in convocation?
Sandy

Postby William Thornton » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:55 am

My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Shane Claiborne no bozo

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:13 pm

Shane was born in Maryville, Tn where my Father comes from and my Grandfahter and all his sisters, most of them good Methodist women who were early East Tenn supporters of Lamar Alexander. Shane was in conference at Koinonia in Americus Ga, of Marshall Frady fame among others, about two weeks ago to the spiritual enrichment of the son and daughter in law of John Morgan, pastor of Collinsville BC the last 40 years, John Morgan Third and his wife Susan, daughter of a legendary football coach in NE Bama got the spirit. William Barber, the NC Prophet was the leadoff presenter.

It is my understanding President Jimmy Carter is to be the commencement speaker in a few weeks at Liberty U.

I think Jerry Vines children and that of many SBC Presidents since the Takeover are graduates of Liberty U. Here in bama Rick Burgess seems to love the Place as does his friend Scott Dawson, the evangelist running for Governor.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby ET » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:52 pm

ET

Postby KeithE » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:29 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby ET » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:29 pm

I'll give you I may be a bit harsh in my assessment of Claiborne. He may be an exception to the norm when it comes to the standard rhetoric of this issue. If his concern is primarily for the poor, then of course that will take use back around to a key question: Is giving the government the power to play god in the economy and attempt to regulate who has "too much" and who doesn't have "enough" the best way to address the issues of poverty?

Since we're off the tracks in regards to the original topic, I'll leave it at that.
ET

PreviousNext

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum