[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - American Heresies

American Heresies

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

American Heresies

Postby Sandy » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:52 am

Sandy

Re: American Heresies

Postby Dave Roberts » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:09 am

Douthat is pretty much on target. Too bad most Southern Baptists won't read it.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:14 am

Interesting little article; I might want to read the book. I don't think I have any particular inclination to the first two heresies there, but I am probably 95% into the third one. After all, I came (back) to God and Christ not through Christian preaching or the Bible, but through my personal experience of divine intervention within me, and was nurtured in the context of AA, and specifically of Fremont Hall, where I was shown a wide variety of spiritualities that seemed to be working.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:36 am

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Re: Haruo's Heresies

Postby Haruo » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:27 pm

Well, I too have a strong experience of God's activity in my life that took root at a time when I still didn't believe in God, let alone in Jesus. I certainly don't think that I did it. But I don't assume on that basis the divine inspiration of a particular canon of Scripture, and I value scripture mainly for its supportive role, not its regulatory one. And I certainly don't believe, some people's way of reading certain sentences by Paul notwithstanding, that only Christians are or can be or will be saved. I don't see that as wishy-washiness in soteriology, or treason, or anything, but as a very deep faith in the determination of God to save all that is worth saving. (And I believe all life contains that which is worth saving, so I have faith in God's willingness and ability (omnipotence and all) to effect that salvation.) Now what the general adoption of my viewpoint might mean in terms of support for SBC (or ABC for that matter) International Missions is another question. I don't expect large numbers of Baptists to adopt my viewpoint, and I don't spend a lot of time trying to get them to, but I do think it's worthwhile, occasionally, to recount my "experience, strength and hope" as we say in AA so that those who might find solace or hope in it may do so. This was why I recounted my in another thread here, I was surprised it drew no comment, pro or con, as received tons of feedback, mostly very positive.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:38 pm

If you haven't previously done so, and are interested in understanding "where I am coming from" on matters of God and scripture, you would do well to read "", a "sermon" I delivered in an evening service at Fremont Baptist in the late 1990s, i.e. prior to my last cigarette. unfortunately in the collapse of Geocities, not all of the MIDI files survived.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:43 pm

One of the more distinctive doctrinal points of Quakers is the concept of "that of God within." It's drawn from the belief that being created in the image of God makes it possible for God to dwell within the human soul, not in the way that the heresy describes it, but as the creator relates to his creation. Whether acknowledged or not, there is "that of God within" every human being.
Sandy

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:23 pm

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby James » Sat May 26, 2018 11:35 am

In the 1950s, some Billy Graham fans were circulating the idea that Americans had replaced the Hebrews (Jews) as God's chosen people. This sparked the conclusion that the USA is now the only legitimate super-power. We would be top dog. All other nations would survive on our left-overs. I'm not sure this "gospel" was ever formalized, but as I read the article here, I got the sense that these current heresies could be traced back to the 50s if not earlier.
James

Postby Dave Roberts » Sat May 26, 2018 11:53 am

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sat May 26, 2018 12:51 pm

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sat May 26, 2018 1:54 pm

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum