FBC Nashville not long for the SBC

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

FBC Nashville not long for the SBC

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:50 pm

Al Mohler and Pressler will not allow it cause this youth minister is not teaching the inerrant wordagod.

http://nashvillepublicradio.org/post/ba ... e#stream/0
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Rick and Bubba and an entire World View

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:55 pm

http://religiondispatches.org/when-you- ... sking-for/

Few individuals can be argued out of it.

I say it will be at least ten years before the conversations at FBC Nashville make it to Rick Burgess Shades mtn Babbdiss in Bham.

Hades it may take a while before Samford talks about this with the collegial internship program they have through Bernie Ankney's Communications department.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: FBC Nashville not long for the SBC

Postby ET » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:35 pm

Hmmmm.....
He says science is tentative, constantly changing, it can be wrong — while faith is immediate, powerful, more stable.

Huh? I thought we lived in an age of "settled science"? Debate closed. You cannot disagree or question a conclusion. Do so and you are a labeled a "denier", implying you to be on par with denying the Holocaust.

I have never found a problem between science and faith, but then again I define science as being subject to evidence and testing, not wild guesses about what might happen in 75 or 100 years, especially given the close to zero batting average of scientists when they try to predict the future.

Evolution? So much of it makes me laugh. I can just see a fish hanging out near the beach trying to figure out how to get up on the land, pondering whether sprouting wings and flying was best or to grow legs.

One of my favorites was listening to some scientist hypothesize that females grew permanently protruding breasts because they needed to make themselves sexually attractive to males when humans started walking upright and the female genitalia was no longer visible while walking like is seen with one of the primate variants. How one took what must have been thousands upon thousands of trail and error events - supposedly - and the race reached consensus that protruding breasts were generally more sexually attractive that big ears or toes or an elongated nose. That kinda stuff is never explained...or maybe I was just laughing too hard and didn't hear it. :lol:

It takes more faith to believe some of these "scientific" explanations than lot of stuff in the Word.
I'm Ed Thompson, and I approve this message.
ET

Postby Sandy » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:58 am

You need to review your Baptist polity and update your information if you're going to make some kind of argument on this. Pressler and Mohler aren't the SBC membership committee. And I don't think a specific creation theory has been prescribed for SBC membership. Not that they wouldn't be prone to making that kind of a definition or requirement, but up to this point they haven't.
Sandy
Sandy

Postby KeithE » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:58 am

ET wrote:Hmmmm.....
He says science is tentative, constantly changing, it can be wrong — while faith is immediate, powerful, more stable.

Huh? I thought we lived in an age of "settled science"? Debate closed. You cannot disagree or question a conclusion. Do so and you are a labeled a "denier", implying you to be on par with denying the Holocaust.

I have never found a problem between science and faith, but then again I define science as being subject to evidence and testing, not wild guesses about what might happen in 75 or 100 years, especially given the close to zero batting average of scientists when they try to predict the future.

Evolution? So much of it makes me laugh. I can just see a fish hanging out near the beach trying to figure out how to get up on the land, pondering whether sprouting wings and flying was best or to grow legs.

One of my favorites was listening to some scientist hypothesize that females grew permanently protruding breasts because they needed to make themselves sexually attractive to males when humans started walking upright and the female genitalia was no longer visible while walking like is seen with one of the primate variants. How one took what must have been thousands upon thousands of trail and error events - supposedly - and the race reached consensus that protruding breasts were generally more sexually attractive that big ears or toes or an elongated nose. That kinda stuff is never explained...or maybe I was just laughing too hard and didn't hear it. :lol:

It takes more faith to believe some of these "scientific" explanations than lot of stuff in the Word.

Want to join me (and meet me) at these Science and Religion lectures in Tupelo tomorrow? Don’t think you will, but I thought I’d invite you.

BTW, I’m not a believer in unaided Evolution either.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
http://www.weatherly.org/discoverycenter
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby ET » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:06 pm

The "science and faith conflict" almost always boils down to the creation vs evolution thing. I just roll my eyes and move on in most cases when the claim arises.

However, I found it far more interesting to note the guy actually stating - in essence - that there is no such thing as settled science. Science is not immune to being questioned or being revised when new evidence arises after some skeptic defies "consensus" and proves what was once believed is not so.

KeithE wrote:Want to join me (and meet me) at these Science and Religion lectures in Tupelo tomorrow? Don’t think you will, but I thought I’d invite you.

BTW, I’m not a believer in unaided Evolution either.

I'm in Roanoke, VA this weekend.
Last edited by ET on Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm Ed Thompson, and I approve this message.
ET

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum