Billy Graham's Final "My Answer"

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Billy Graham's Final "My Answer"

Postby Dave Roberts » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:30 pm

This morning as I listened to "Morning Edition" on NPR, they did a very nice piece on Billy's death and his funeral preparations. Then they had an interview with a staff member of the BGEA whose name I did not catch. One of the reporter's questions was "When did Billy Graham write the column that he said should be published the day after his death?" With some hesitancy, the staff member admitted that Billy did not actually write it as it appeared. He said that every word was either spoken or written in the past by Billy Graham, but the compiled piece was finished by family and BGEA staff. Perhaps it is just me, but I find this troublesome since it was released to the papers not as having been "approved by Billy and the family" but as having been written by him for this occasion. Somehow this seems beneath the ethics he generally practiced in his life. If anything, I find it takes away from his legacy to publish pseudonymously and only acknowledging this when confronted by a reporter's question.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
User avatar
Dave Roberts
Site Admin
 
Posts: 7220
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:01 pm
Location: Southside, VA

Re: Billy Graham's Final "My Answer"

Postby Haruo » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:06 pm

At least the staff member 'fessed up, knowing it could cost them their employment. I agree it's not up to snuff ethics-and-legacy-wise, and is particularly strange coming from inerrantists.
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
User avatar
Haruo
Site Admin
 
Posts: 12171
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2004 7:21 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Billy Graham's Final "My Answer"

Postby JE Pettibone » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:09 pm

Haruo wrote:At least the staff member 'fessed up, knowing it could cost them their employment. I agree it's not up to snuff ethics-and-legacy-wise, and is particularly strange coming from inerrantists.


Ed: I believe Billy's true Legacy wound up when the reins where handed to Franklin.
JE Pettibone
 
Posts: 516
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:48 am

Re: Billy Graham's Final "My Answer"

Postby Haruo » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:58 pm

Agreed.
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
User avatar
Haruo
Site Admin
 
Posts: 12171
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2004 7:21 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Billy Graham's Final "My Answer"

Postby Sandy » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:35 am

I agree as well. And that is unfortunate.
Sandy
Sandy
 
Posts: 8744
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:10 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Billy Graham's Final "My Answer"

Postby Jim » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:35 am

Dave Roberts wrote:This morning as I listened to "Morning Edition" on NPR, they did a very nice piece on Billy's death and his funeral preparations. Then they had an interview with a staff member of the BGEA whose name I did not catch. One of the reporter's questions was "When did Billy Graham write the column that he said should be published the day after his death?" With some hesitancy, the staff member admitted that Billy did not actually write it as it appeared. He said that every word was either spoken or written in the past by Billy Graham, but the compiled piece was finished by family and BGEA staff. Perhaps it is just me, but I find this troublesome since it was released to the papers not as having been "approved by Billy and the family" but as having been written by him for this occasion. Somehow this seems beneath the ethics he generally practiced in his life. If anything, I find it takes away from his legacy to publish pseudonymously and only acknowledging this when confronted by a reporter's question.

His legacy harmed by something occurring after his death? Surely you jest. You need to look up the term. I watched the entire funeral on C-Span. It was more like an old-time tent revival, which was fitting. Naysaying like yours is still another slam at the man who made the world take notice of the gospel. Disgusting!
Jim
 
Posts: 3771
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:44 pm
Location: Lexington, Ky.

Re: Billy Graham's Final "My Answer"

Postby Dave Roberts » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:20 am

Jim wrote: His legacy harmed by something occurring after his death? Surely you jest. You need to look up the term. I watched the entire funeral on C-Span. It was more like an old-time tent revival, which was fitting. Naysaying like yours is still another slam at the man who made the world take notice of the gospel. Disgusting!


Jim, I am not naysaying to Billy at all in this. I am naysaying to those who thought they had to pad his story with a piece that is at least ethically questionable. I find it a disappointing approach from his family and organization.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
User avatar
Dave Roberts
Site Admin
 
Posts: 7220
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:01 pm
Location: Southside, VA

Re: Billy Graham's Final "My Answer"

Postby Sandy » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:31 pm

Dave Roberts wrote: With some hesitancy, the staff member admitted that Billy did not actually write it as it appeared. He said that every word was either spoken or written in the past by Billy Graham, but the compiled piece was finished by family and BGEA staff.


I don't see any lack of clarity there. It's clear this isn't "naysaying" or criticism of Billy Graham. The BGEA hasn't been under his leadership for a while, now. His legacy isn't tied to anything they've done since he stepped down.
Sandy
Sandy
 
Posts: 8744
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:10 pm
Location: Chicago


Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests