A future Baptist Pastor

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Re: A future Baptist Pastor

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:32 pm

Jon Estes wrote:I have may students who graduated with their accredited online degree who are doing well in their ministries.

I also know many who graduated from one of the SBC seminaries and did the required practicums, who sucked at being a vocational minister.

Making this an online education problem is not fair, as many Pastors prior to online education were terrible at people/management skills.

Most of my students are also well above, in age, resident students at most universities.

To be fair with my classes, I only work with undergraduate students, not those in seminary.

My students this semester range from 21 - 66. Most are over 30 and have a lot of life experience.

Jon, I didn't mean to make it an online learning problem. I see it as a problem any time someone earns a degree without also getting hands on experience at the same time.

I would think field experience could be a requirement of an online degree program too.

The worst pastors I've seen are those whose lack of practical experience makes them think the degree they just walked out of seminary with means they know everything about running a church. That can happen online or in a traditional classroom setting without the needed experience.

The best system of education I used to see for young pastors was starting out as an Associate Pastor and learning from an experienced pastor. Unfortunately, I see far fewer of those positions available in my denomination now as churches struggle for funds.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
My Blog - http://timbonney.com
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Jon Estes » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:39 pm

JE Pettibone wrote:Jon : The “my undergrad degree is as good as...” came about when seminaries were producing many who were graduating with a liberal degree. We heard the same thing when I was at Criswell 37 years ago. At the time, it made sense.

Ed: No Jon, it did not make sense then nor does it make sense now. In the fist place no one has ever graduated from an SBC Seminary with "a liberal degree" . I do recall the founder of Liberty University saying that he was joining the SBC because
it had become fundamentalist enough for him to support it.[/quote]

To me... “At the time”, it made sense.
Living in Dubai for that which I was purposed
Jon Estes

Postby Jon Estes » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:42 pm

Dave Roberts wrote:Let me go ahead and give you a bit of personal history. Two of my pastors gave me advice as a possible young minister that I do not hear much any more. It was the advice that on going to college not to get a degree in religion or biblical studies. Rev. Claxton Hall, who was a friend and mentor until his death in 2010, told me that I needed to know something about other things as well as the Bible. My college pastor, Dr. Wade Darby, stressed the same mantra. I left college with 9 hours in the religion department and six were required courses. My degree had a major in English with minors in history and German. Their concern was that concentrating too soon shut down the course of your learning. I gave the same advice to our son as he headed to college. I realize that liberal arts degrees are out of favor economically, but we in ministry need a wide range of learning, not just a trip through Bible and theology alone.

Your story is one option a minister can take. For some it would be a good choice. For others, not so.
Living in Dubai for that which I was purposed
Jon Estes

Postby Haruo » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:04 am

My dad's undergraduate degree was in Metallurgical Engineering. I honestly do not know how a call to ministry and a call to avoid military service divvied up the pot that led him to seminary. I know he felt guilty for not having gone to prison as a Conscientious Objector like his college roommate Bob Walker did.
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
Haruo
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum