Page 1 of 1

Bruce Gourley's Visit

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:11 am
by KeithE
Bruce is onto a movement that he calls the "Jesus Worldview". Read about it at http://jesusworldview.org; read the pull down menus at the top. I think he is onto something important to our faiths and to the church as a whole. Brief summary: We as the church need to focus more on Jesus’s teachings and less on creeds/mental ascent. More on a nurturing faith and less on authoritative strictures.

He gave an outstanding set of lectures/discussion time at my church. They were received very well by those who attended (but the audience was less than I had hoped). My pastor says we will take that message and emphasize it in the near future.

We also had a great time with talk and playing games - a passion particularly with my wife.

What I learned about Bruce:
- he loves games (I think Splendor was his favorite)
- he eats very healthy foods (oatmeal for breakfast - but he did come/ate to our family night potluck).
- he knows a lot of the emerging scientific scene - quantum computing, minisolar-powered rockets

He is exploring having a BL get together at some point maybe on Jekyll Island this spring.

He just left and we had a great time.

Re: Bruce Gourley's Visit

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:59 pm
by Haruo
I'm afraid the chances are slim to nil that we would be able to get to Georgia this spring, but if it succeeds maybe it can be redone later, there or elsewhere. I was thinking Montana... ;-)

Re: Bruce Gourley's Visit

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:03 pm
by William Thornton
I go to Jekyll a couple of times each year. Got an old days inn on the beach that suits me fine. Would love to see the brethren/sistren.

Re: Bruce Gourley's Visit

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:35 pm
by JE Pettibone
Ed: What happened to Bruce's post and my reply supporting the idea of a Bl.com retreat? In my reply I also suggested he invite Dr. Jimmy Allen as a speaker. Dr. Allen did live on St. Simon's Island just North of Jeckel. He now lives in the North Ga. mountains.

found it in the other thread.

Re: Bruce Gourley's Visit

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:20 am
by Jon Estes
Take a leap of faith and fun and gather the bl.com here in Dubai.

Dubai is a great place to see how the world views Jesus. Over 90% of the world's nations are here.

Re: Bruce Gourley's Visit

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:45 am
by Dave Roberts
Jon Estes wrote:Take a leap of faith and fun and gather the bl.com here in Dubai.

Dubai is a great place to see how the world views Jesus. Over 90% of the world's nations are here.

Any travel stipends available? :lol:

Re: Bruce Gourley's Visit

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:54 am
by Haruo
Dubai is not super-high on my list of places to visit, but if BL.com had a retreat there with a large enough stipend attached, I just might go. Have to ask the Mrs.

Speaking of foreign travel, today is my last day as a working stiff at Metropolitan Market Uptown. Hopefully my last day in wage slavery at all, but we'll see how it goes. The first month or so is going to be very tight. What made me think of this was that one thing I have to do today (or tomorrow, but I'm planning to get it over with today) is drop by the union pension office to give them my walking papers and find out about COBRA options (since it will be a bit over a year before I'm eligible for Medicare). The paperwork requires two forms of ID, so for the first time since last fall I pulled out my passport.

Re: Bruce Gourley's Visit

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:57 pm
by Sandy
Haruo wrote:Dubai is not super-high on my list of places to visit, but if BL.com had a retreat there with a large enough stipend attached, I just might go. Have to ask the Mrs.

Speaking of foreign travel, today is my last day as a working stiff at Metropolitan Market Uptown. Hopefully my last day in wage slavery at all, but we'll see how it goes. The first month or so is going to be very tight. What made me think of this was that one thing I have to do today (or tomorrow, but I'm planning to get it over with today) is drop by the union pension office to give them my walking papers and find out about COBRA options (since it will be a bit over a year before I'm eligible for Medicare). The paperwork requires two forms of ID, so for the first time since last fall I pulled out my passport.


Congratulations on the retirement! That's something that always seemed well in the distant future from my perspective, but turning 60 this past October brought it back up to more immediate attention.

Re: Bruce Gourley's Visit

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:27 pm
by Bruce Gourley
Haruo wrote:Dubai is not super-high on my list of places to visit, but if BL.com had a retreat there with a large enough stipend attached, I just might go. Have to ask the Mrs.

Speaking of foreign travel, today is my last day as a working stiff at Metropolitan Market Uptown. Hopefully my last day in wage slavery at all, but we'll see how it goes. The first month or so is going to be very tight. What made me think of this was that one thing I have to do today (or tomorrow, but I'm planning to get it over with today) is drop by the union pension office to give them my walking papers and find out about COBRA options (since it will be a bit over a year before I'm eligible for Medicare). The paperwork requires two forms of ID, so for the first time since last fall I pulled out my passport.


Congratulations on your upcoming retirement, Haruo!

Re: Bruce Gourley's Visit

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:32 pm
by Bruce Gourley
I had a great time in Huntsville, and the Norens are awesome hosts!

My idea of a BL.com retreat would be for those of us who could come to just hang out together for a weekend, talking, maybe playing table games [hint, hint], eating, hiking, biking, whatever. And Jekyll Island in the spring would be a great place to do that ... since Dubai seems to be a just a bit too far away. :wink:

I don't have my precise April schedule yet, but I will be down South at some point that month, and if there is enough interest, it would be fun to arrange such a weekend.

Re: Bruce Gourley's Visit

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:06 am
by Jon Estes
Dave Roberts wrote:
Jon Estes wrote:Take a leap of faith and fun and gather the bl.com here in Dubai.

Dubai is a great place to see how the world views Jesus. Over 90% of the world's nations are here.

Any travel stipends available? :lol:


Not on travel but I ca house each of you with some of the finest Chfirt Followers on the planet. You can catch economy flights here (round trip) for around $1000.00 USD, if you look and plan. That's a non-stop flight from many major airports, through Emirates. Cost can be a bit cheaper if you look at other carriers and have layovers. This is an amazing place where I think many people see it too costly to visit. The same amount can be easily spent in the USA on holidays.

Just a thought.

Re: Bruce Gourley's Visit

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:15 am
by William Thornton
Bruce Gourley wrote:I had a great time in Huntsville, and the Norens are awesome hosts!

My idea of a BL.com retreat would be for those of us who could come to just hang out together for a weekend, talking, maybe playing table games [hint, hint], eating, hiking, biking, whatever. And Jekyll Island in the spring would be a great place to do that ... since Dubai seems to be a just a bit too far away. :wink:

I don't have my precise April schedule yet, but I will be down South at some point that month, and if there is enough interest, it would be fun to arrange such a weekend.


I'd plan to come. I usually go alone, like David used to do at padre island. There's golf, biking, walking, the millionaires village, turtle center, birding, etc.

Was Gourley up on

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:45 pm
by Stephen Fox
Had he done his homework on How Democracies Die and the This American Life series on Albertville Alabama and immigration which woulda been spot on for his venue?

I woulda loved to have been there but having a bad start logisitically to the New Year and the funding is drying up.

Did Bruce have any of the insights of this article?
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/op ... 99143ef141

I think we can arrange such a retreat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:47 pm
by Stephen Fox
at the Truett Camp in Hayesville North Carolina if you, Bruce, will send them your book on Baptists and the Civil War as promised.

Great accomodations and very cost saving and good food nearby. Most likely we can cook some for ourselves and feast out.

Re: I think we can arrange such a retreat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:16 am
by Bruce Gourley
Stephen Fox wrote:at the Truett Camp in Hayesville North Carolina if you, Bruce, will send them your book on Baptists and the Civil War as promised.

Great accomodations and very cost saving and good food nearby. Most likely we can cook some for ourselves and feast out.


The book was mailed quite a few weeks ago, Fox.