Holy Church of Christ in Alabama

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Holy Church of Christ in Alabama

Postby Rvaughn » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:24 pm

This isn't exactly "Baptist Faith and Practice," but I didn't know where to put it.

Has anyone here ever heard of the Holy Church of Christ,-- especially you guys in Alabama? It is a small denomination found in Northwest Alabama and Northeast Mississippi. I have identified the following churches that have that name (though I can't be sure all of them are organically connected).

Cains Chapel Holy Church Of Christ, Jasper, Alabama
    Emmanuel Holy Church Of Christ, Leighton, Alabama
    Fairview Holy Church of Christ, Belmont, Mississippi
    First Holy Church of Christ, Decatur, Alabama
    Harmony Holy Church of Christ, Walley, Alabama
    Hartselle Holy Church of Christ, Hartselle, Alabama
    Highway 36 Holy Church of Christ, Moulton, Alabama
    Hunters Chapel Holy Church Of Christ, Jasper, Alabama
    Lindsey Hall Holy Church of Christ, Danville, Alabama
    New Hope Holy Church of Christ, Nauvoo, Alabama
    Phillips Chapel Holy Church of Christ, Empire, Alabama
    Pine Grove Holy Church of Christ, Decatur, Morgan County, Alabama
    Pinhook Holy Church of Christ, Moulton, Alabama
    Pleasant Ridge Holy Church of Christ, Moulton, Alabama
    Red Bay Holy Church of Christ, Golden, Mississippi
I have found a little on their doctrine, but do not know anything about their history (or a source of information on their history). So far I have not been able to find anything online as to when, where and how this group arose.

Something of their belief is found HERE.
Last edited by Rvaughn on Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rvaughn

Re: Holy Church of Christ in Alabama

Postby KeithE » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:06 pm

Rvaughn wrote:This isn't exactly "Baptist Faith and Practice," but I didn't know where to put it.

Has anyone here ever heard of the Holy Church of Christ,-- especially you guys in Alabama? It is a small denomination found in Northwest Alabama and Northeast Mississippi. I have identified the following churches that have that name (though I can't be sure all of them are organically connected).

Cains Chapel Holy Church Of Christ, Jasper, Alabama
    Emmanuel Holy Church Of Christ, Leighton, Alabama
    Fairview Holy Church of Christ,e Belmont, MS
    First Holy Church of Christ, Decatur, Alabama
    Harmony Holy Church of Christ, Walley, Alabama
    Hartselle Holy Church of Christ, Hartselle, Alabama
    Highway 36 Holy Church of Christ, Moulton, Alabama
    Hunters Chapel Holy Church Of Christ, Jasper, Alabama
    Lindsey Hall Holy Church of Christ, Danville, Alabama
    New Hope Holy Church of Christ, Nauvoo, Alabama
    Phillips Chapel Holy Church of Christ, Empire, Alabama
    Pine Grove Holy Church of Christ, Decatur, Morgan County, Alabama
    Pinhook Holy Church of Christ, Moulton, Alabama
    Pleasant Ridge Holy Church of Christ, Moulton, Alabama
    Red Bay Holy Church of Christ, Golden, Mississippi
I have found a little on their doctrine, but do not know anything about their history (or a source of information on their history). So far I have not been able to find anything online as to when, where and how this group arose.

Something of their belief is found HERE.

Sorry, I do not run in those circles. Seems like it is centered abut 30 miles east of me near Moulton, AL (near to Jesse Owens’ hometown).

Its doctrine is mostly standard KJV fundamentalist with “tributes” due to its ministers.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
http://www.weatherly.org/discoverycenter
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:32 pm

Keith, is their anyone you know who might know someone in these churches? Thanks.
Rvaughn

Postby Haruo » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:13 pm

Have you tried emailing Michelle? I agree with Keith that I don't see anything there that set them apart from KJBO Fundamentalist Baptists, if they called themselves Baptist it would not raise any of my eyebrows. Of course the What we believe page may apply to Hunters Chapel HCoC only, but it is so generic it was probably copied from someplace else.

I am not clear exactly what tributes to ministers means, but if I had to guess I'd say they believe in paying the pastor.
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:12 pm

Haruo wrote:Have you tried emailing Michelle?
It may just be too close to my bedtime, but at the moment I don't know who you mean.
Haruo wrote: agree with Keith that I don't see anything there that set them apart from KJBO Fundamentalist Baptists, if they called themselves Baptist it would not raise any of my eyebrows. Of course the What we believe page may apply to Hunters Chapel HCoC only, but it is so generic it was probably copied from someplace else.
I have a few items about doctrine that someone sent me privately. They believe in open communion and falling from grave, so probably come out more like Free Will Baptists than Fundamental Baptists. (Though some IFBs practice open communion, I believe; maybe not.)
Haruo wrote:I am not clear exactly what tributes to ministers means, but if I had to guess I'd say they believe in paying the pastor.
I'm pretty sure that is what it means.
Rvaughn

Postby Rvaughn » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:13 pm

Haruo wrote:Have you tried emailing Michelle?
It may just be too close to my bedtime, but at the moment I don't know who you mean.
Haruo wrote:I agree with Keith that I don't see anything there that set them apart from KJBO Fundamentalist Baptists, if they called themselves Baptist it would not raise any of my eyebrows. Of course the What we believe page may apply to Hunters Chapel HCoC only, but it is so generic it was probably copied from someplace else.
I have a few items about doctrine that someone sent me privately. They believe in open communion and falling from grace, so probably come out closer to Free Will Baptists than Fundamental Baptists. (Though some IFBs practice open communion, I believe; maybe not.)
Haruo wrote:I am not clear exactly what tributes to ministers means, but if I had to guess I'd say they believe in paying the pastor.

Thanks.
Last edited by Rvaughn on Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rvaughn

Postby Rvaughn » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:17 pm

Ok, now I see what you mean, Leland. No, I haven't. I tried the e-mail on the page about The Way of the Cross publication, but haven't received a response from that. But, yes, that is a good idea; I'll try if I don't hear back from the other in a few days. (Since the hunterschape.org site is no longer functional, that e-mail may not work.)
Rvaughn

Postby KeithE » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:20 am

Rvaughn wrote:Keith, is their anyone you know who might know someone in these churches? Thanks.

Yeah you might try PMing Mark Ray who used to be very active on this board and lives in Decatur (last I heard). Very astute churchman.

In case he is lurking here please come to the Bruce Gourley event at WHBC this Sat @ 9:30. http://www.weatherly.org/events
Last edited by KeithE on Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:28 am

Rvaughn wrote:

I thought it strange though that paying their pastor would make it into a statement of faith.
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby JE Pettibone » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:51 am

KeithE wrote:
Rvaughn wrote:

strange though that paying their pastor would make it into a statement of faith.

Ed: I don't find it strange at all, as in various times and places paying the pastor, or not, has been the subject of great dispute .

Indeed Bruce may have come across this in his in depth study of Georgia Baptist church history.
JE Pettibone

Postby Rvaughn » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:07 pm

JE Pettibone wrote:I don't find it strange at all, as in various times and places paying the pastor, or not, has been the subject of great dispute.
I think you probably nailed this one. I suspect they are in an area -- and may even come from a background -- where pastor's salaries were disputed. So they would make a plain statement in favor of it.
Rvaughn

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum