Another Strong Lady at WHBC + Bruce Gourley

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Another Strong Lady at WHBC + Bruce Gourley

Postby KeithE » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:43 pm

In addition to Ellin Jimmerson we have another activist lady at Weatherly Heights Baptist Church (WHBC) - Linda Meigs who was featured on the front page of USAToday last Thursday. She was also the Madison County lead (Huntsville is in Madison County) for the Doug Jones Campaign. And she is running for the State Representative for the 20th District. Below is Linda (lady in the middle with Doug Jones at left on phone).
Trump at One Year: Women's March Returns.

Published 4:09 p.m. ET Jan. 17, 2018
WASHINGTON — The Women's March will be back on the streets this weekend, but now the movement that arose in "resistance" to President Trump is about more than just marching.

It's about registering voters and electoral power in November. And for Linda Meigs of Huntsville, Ala., like many others inspired by last year's march in Washington, D.C., it’s about running.

Instead of simply attending one of the many Women’s March anniversary events across the nation this weekend, this time Meigs will be speaking at her hometown event – as a Democratic candidate for Alabama’s state house.

“A year ago, I would have described myself as a teacher, a wife and a mother,” said Meigs, 63, a middle school French teacher. “Now, because of the events of this past year, I add to that an activist and a leader. And it’s pretty darned exciting.”

The Women’s March drew millions of protesters at events nationwide on the first full day of Trump’s administration.

Since then, activists have swelled the ranks of grassroots organizations, forming a national network of volunteers that Democrats hope will help them retake control of the U.S. House of Representatives in November. Already, the anti-Trump resistance movement has helped Democrats pick up a Senate seat in Alabama’s special election and exceed expectations in other elections across the country.

This weekend, as hundreds of local Women’s March anniversary events are held across the country, national organizers in Las Vegas will launch the next phase of their movement, “Power to the Polls,” a national voter registration and mobilization tour targeting swing states. They hope to register 1 million new voters and help elect more women and progressives to office.

“It’s really a weekend for families and for women to come together and reflect on everything that we have accomplished in 2017 and then think about how we need to move beyond just resistance,” said Bob Bland, Women's March co-president. “We have enormous collective power when we come together in numbers too large to ignore.”

BTW, next Saturday and Sunday we will have Bruce Gourley (initiator/maintainer of this Blog) at Weatherly speaking of his and John Pierce’s Jesus WorldView Initiative. For those of you who are in the SE, this is you chance to meet Bruce who is coming from Montana.

This also kicks off a Lecture Series on various social ministries based loosely on Matt 25:35-36. Bruce will not be at these.
Last edited by KeithE on Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
http://www.weatherly.org/discoverycenter
KeithE
Site Admin

Re: Another Strong Lady at WHBC + Bruce Gourley

Postby William Thornton » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:35 pm

Jones voted with the repubs so he's a cut above the typical dem.

I'd love to hear Bruce and will look at driving over.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog, SBC Plodder
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:53 pm

Will that be available on video?
Sandy
Sandy

Postby William Thornton » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:54 am

Ah, it's this coming weekend. I'll not be able to make it. Regards to Bruce and all.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:14 pm

William Thornton wrote:Jones voted with the repubs so he's a cut above the typical dem.

I'd love to hear Bruce and will look at driving over.

Jones also co-sponsored a bill with fellow Democrat Claire McCaskill to continue to pay the military during the shutdown, which Mitch McConnell shut down. So if he's a cut ahead of the typical Democrat, he's light years ahead of any Republican.
Sandy
Sandy

Postby Haruo » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:28 pm

Paying soldiers and not doctors doesn't strike me as light years ahead of anybody.
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:18 pm

Sandy wrote:Will that be available on video?

Just audio. Our lighting in the sanctuary is not presently good enough to video record services.

But I'll gladly see it it that it will posted at www.weatherly.org
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Meigs, DACA and Ainsworth

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:40 pm

Has Meigs boned up on the NPR This American Life two hour radio Documentary on Immigration and is she asking Marshall County Native Will Ainsworth about it.

Do you Keith or her or the highly educated folks at Weathely Heights--Bruce Gourley too for that matter; are yall aware of the splendid conversation yesterday on NPR FResh Air on How Democracies Die.

I hope this woman is not as arrogant as Jimmerson and knows at least as much as I know.

She also should be up to snuff on Hochschild's Strangers in their own Country.

Countin on you Keith to make sure this is not another big to do about nothing.

I may come over for Sunday school and maybe an afternoon conversation with this woman.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

I may be there if I can work out logistics

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:45 pm

Car battery issues and two good basketball games in Collinsville but Bruce Gourley doesn't come to town every day

Maybe Thornton will drive through Friday afternoon and give me a ride over. Thornton and I could light it up.

I hope Bruce has boned up on Charles Marsh recent piece on Guns and the NRA, and Randall Balmer's current piece in Christian Ethics Today on Trump
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby William Thornton » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:34 pm

Fox is piqued that he isn't the headliner for this shindig.

Sorry, can't make it. Regards to all.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Re: Meigs, DACA and Ainsworth

Postby KeithE » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:54 pm

Stephen Fox wrote:Has Meigs boned up on the NPR This American Life two hour radio Documentary on Immigration and is she asking Marshall County Native Will Ainsworth about it.

Do you Keith or her or the highly educated folks at Weathely Heights--Bruce Gourley too for that matter; are yall aware of the splendid conversation yesterday on NPR FResh Air on How Democracies Die.

I hope this woman is not as arrogant as Jimmerson and knows at least as much as I know.

She also should be up to snuff on Hochschild's Strangers in their own Country.

Countin on you Keith to make sure this is not another big to do about nothing.

I may come over for Sunday school and maybe an afternoon conversation with this woman.

I do not keep up with Linda’s reading and I would not be able to connect you with her. But you are more than welcome to come to Sunday School, anytime. Bruce will be here on Sunday.
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:29 pm

Stephen Fox wrote:I hope this woman is not as arrogant as Jimmerson and knows at least as much as I know.

I'm not sure I'd call Ellin Jimmerson "arrogant." I'd place bets on your last phrase, though.

Stephen Fox wrote:Countin on you Keith to make sure this is not another big to do about nothing.

When was the first big "to do about nothing"?
Sandy
Sandy

Postby Bruce Gourley » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:30 am

I am enjoying a weekend in Huntsville with the good folks at Weatherly Heights Baptist Church, and lodging with Keith and Ann, who are absolutely wonderful hosts. I've been browsing Keith's well-organized and extensive library, marveling at the greatest collection of clocks that I've ever seen, standing in awe of the family game collection, and enjoying the conversation, laughter and evening game time. (Although they've not yet talked me into playing "Exploding Kittens," a game that my cat -- who has already lost two of his nine lives, having been electrocuted AND run over by a car, and survived both -- would surely not approve of.)

They've even been gracious enough to politely laugh at my lame puns.

And just hanging out Keith and Ann makes me realize how much fun it would be if we could schedule a weekend BL.com retreat.
Bruce Gourley
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:26 am

I'm retiring this week--Tuesday will be my last day at work--which makes it slightly more likely we could attend such an event if it were to be held. Though getting wherever it might be from here wold probably be too much.
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Cathy » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:39 pm

Haven't even lurked around this site lately. But great to see the meeting posted would love to attend if closer. We enjoyed Bruce's talks at Mountainview Mennonite.

I've been yearning to roam around my childhood haunts in Alex City.

Congratulations on retirement, Haruo. I just read in the NYT that retiring early may be life extending. I'm trying to get to the place where I could bring myself to make that leap.
Cathy

Postby JE Pettibone » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:19 pm

Bruce Gourley wrote:I am enjoying a weekend in Huntsville with the good folks at Weatherly Heights Baptist Church, and lodging with Keith and Ann, who are absolutely wonderful hosts. I've been browsing Keith's well-organized and extensive library, marveling at the greatest collection of clocks that I've ever seen, standing in awe of the family game collection, and enjoying the conversation, laughter and evening game time. (Although they've not yet talked me into playing "Exploding Kittens," a game that my cat -- who has already lost two of his nine lives, having been electrocuted AND run over by a car, and survived both -- would surely not approve of.)

They've even been gracious enough to politely laugh at my lame puns.

And just hanging out Keith and Ann makes me realize how much fun it would be if we could schedule a weekend BL.com retreat.

Ed: Bruce, I think a BL.com retreat would be great. When, Keith mentioned that you where thinking of Jekyll Island as a location, I immediately Thought of suggesting you invite Dr. Jimmy Allen because when I last knew (when we talked at a NBC meeting in Atlanta 09/2016) he was living next door on St. Simons island. Apparently last years hurricane motivated him to move to the north Georgia mountains. A Google search led me to a site that says he is now living in Canoe, GA .
JE Pettibone

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum