Another Thought Provoking Study

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Another Thought Provoking Study

Postby KeithE » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:02 pm

'Christian America’ Dwindling

The future of religion in America is young, non-Christian and technicolor.

Almost every Christian denomination in the U.S. shows signs of growing diversity as white Christians, once the majority in most mainline Protestant and Catholic denominations, give way to younger members, who tend to be of different races, according to a study released Wednesday (Sept. 6) by the Public Religion Research Institute.

This was an uncommonly large survey with a margin of error of only 0.4%.

The study, “America’s Changing Religious Identity,” contacted 101,000 Americans in 50 states, and has an overall margin of error of plus or minus 0.4 percentage points. And while the survey spotlights transformations afoot in many religious groups, it also shows a seismic shift for a long-standing American religious powerhouse: white evangelicals.

What I find interesting is that the younger aged people (18-29) are 38% unaffiliated (‘Christian America’ is dwindling). It appears that White Evangelical Protestants and White Mainline Protestant both have 8% of those aged people. As I see it, as those people become affiliated (as I believe/hope many will). That will be a competition (principled of course) and I hope we become less racially divided. Beliefs, practices, programs, community feel, and spiritual feel will all play a role. And I suspect that even as the 18-29 year old become 65+, there will be more than 12% “unaffiliated”, because not only is Christianity dwindling but organized religion in general is dwindling in America (for better or worse).

The article talks about one winner that being the UMC’s Church of the Resurrection near Kansas City (Adam Hamilton’s church).

Of course many people may object (on principle) to the Hamilton's view of the Bible given in Making Sense of the Bible: Rediscovering the Power of Scripture Today. Hint: He finds power and worth without “inerrancy”. Great Book!

There are other aspects in this article that are also interesting. What interests you?
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Re: Another Thought Provoking Study

Postby Haruo » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:42 pm

Is technicolor here a snazzy term for racially diverse? If so, I think it's a poor choice.
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
Haruo
Site Admin

Re: Another Thought Provoking Study

Postby KeithE » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:38 pm

Haruo wrote:Is technicolor here a snazzy term for racially diverse? If so, I think it's a poor choice.

Not the best term to use, but I don't think it was given with intent to treat races any differently. Just pointing out what we all know - we are getting more racially diverse and that has impacts on religious affiliations.

It certainly does not invalidate he study.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum