Pressler Accused of 35 years of Sodomy

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Pressler Accused of 35 years of Sodomy

Postby KeithE » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:06 pm

This will be an interesting story to follow. Paul Pressler of course was a major leader in the SBC movement sometimes called the "Conservative Resurgence" in some circles (aka the SBC “Takeover" in my circles)

Lawsuit alleges decades-long molestation by former Texas lawmaker.
Former Texas state judge and lawmaker Paul Pressler has been hit with a lawsuit that alleges he molested a man over the course of 35 years.

Pressler, a former justice on the 14th Court of Appeals, who served in the Texas House from 1957 to 1959, vehemently denied the allegations by Gareld Duane Rollins, who claims that Pressler began molesting him in 1979, when he was 14, through the year 2014.

The suit also names Pressler’s wife, Nancy, his law partner Jared Woodfill, the First Baptist Church of Houston, Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, and its president, the Rev. Paige Patterson. Rollins seeks $1 million in damages.

The suit alleges that Pressler enrolled Rollins in Bible study and began molesting and raping him in his master bedroom study.

The suit also alleges that Pressler told Rollins he could stop at any time, but that Rollins thought God had sanctioned the rapes. The suit says the molestation occurred two to three times per month while Rollins attended college.

This may be just an attempt extort $1M in damages in this time where we are seeing a barrage of such claims. Claiming Pressler is a homosexual abuser just adds spice to the case to increase publicity.

But if true, Pressler has ruined a man’s life from age 14 on. Why only $1M if this is an extortion attempt given what this man has got through - PTSD, alcoholism/drugs (partial fault, imo), forgery (Rollins’s fault, imo), several jailings over decades?

But consider the following from the link above:

“I have never before agreed to be actively involved in helping someone be released from prison and rehabilitated, but I am willing in this situation because I really believe in Duane,” Pressler wrote on Aug. 10, 2000.

Rollins was denied on that occasion, but he successfully received parole in 2002, after Pressler wrote a letter saying he would employ Rollins to handle personal matters for him, including driving him to speaking engagements. The job would allow Rollins time to finish his college education, Pressler wrote.

“I would be personally involved in every bit of Duane’s life with supervision and control,” Pressler wrote in that May 22, 2002, letter.

However, Rollins was arrested for driving under the influence in Houston in 2004, which led to a string of arrests and jail stints over the next decade-plus. In 2015, he told a psychologist about the alleged molestation and began receiving treatment. A letter from psychiatrist Dr. Harvey Rosenstock that is included in the case file says that Rollins likely suffers from post-traumatic stress disorder resulting from childhood sexual trauma.

Do you think this would be a rational action supporting Rollin's release from jail, if (1) there is no truth in the molestation allegations or (2) there is truth?

Here is the Lawsuit. Read it, it gives many horrid details over many years between Pressler. It also gives the reason the co-defendants (Paige Patterson, SWTS, FBC Houston, Pressler's wife and law partner). It also includes much theological discussion (Inerrancy, calvinism, etc.) which seems out of place to me (at least I have not figured out the connection; but I have not read all of the lawsuit yet).

I thought it worthy of discussion here.

I’ll add more but right now I need to go see my 2 year old grandson in a Christmas program.
Last edited by KeithE on Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
http://www.weatherly.org/discoverycenter
KeithE
Site Admin

Re: Pressler Accused of 35 years of Sodomy

Postby William Thornton » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:54 pm

Yeah, read the suit. Bizarre. The Conservative Resurgence figures in the suit.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog, SBC Plodder
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:59 pm

This is old news because the accusations have been out there for at least 25 years. What is new is that this is the first time it will be heard before a judge and Pressler will have to answer in a civil court in which the standard of proof is lower than in a criminal court.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:00 pm

Dave Roberts wrote:This is old news because the accusations have been out there for at least 25 years. What is new is that this is the first time it will be heard before a judge and Pressler will have to answer in a civil court in which the standard of proof is lower than in a criminal court.

Interesting. He'll have a higher court as well!

Where did you hear this Dave? I’ve searched for "Paul Pressler Gareld Duane Rollins” and found nothing prior to the lawsuit being filed on October 18, 2017 and mentioned online on Oct 23, 2017. Not questioning you but just wondering if it was going around Baptist circles for decades as unprinted oral tradition.

I guess allegations/accusations are not checked out/prosecuted against people who hide behind right-wing piety or politics (for the matter).
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:31 pm

Rumors over the years. Hardly enough to draw a conclusion. We aren't rumor mongers...except when we are.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:44 pm

William Thornton wrote:Rumors over the years. Hardly enough to draw a conclusion. We aren't rumor mongers...except when we are.

Had you heard such rumors William? I have not and I’ve been a Baptist for 30 years now. And for about the first 20 of those years I had a special interest in “Baptist Battles”.
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:15 pm

KeithE wrote:
William Thornton wrote:Rumors over the years. Hardly enough to draw a conclusion. We aren't rumor mongers...except when we are.

Had you heard such rumors William? I have not and I’ve been a Baptist for 30 years now. And for about the first 20 of those years I had a special interest in “Baptist Battles”.

I have. There is a market for these things and not a few people who hope the accusations are true. I'd advise caution.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:56 pm

William Thornton wrote:
KeithE wrote:

I have. There is a market for these things and not a few people who hope the accusations are true. I'd advise caution.

What, who and if you can remember when did you hear this? Same questions for Dave.

Caution does not mean ignore.
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:19 pm

Comments on Amazon about Pressler’s A Hill on Which To Die:

By abc123 on June 4, 2017
Format: Hardcover|Verified Purchase
My first observance of the character and charisma of Paul Pressler was during my first year of attending a sunday school class he taught - Paul Pressler was my sunday school teacher. It wasn't until sometime later when I was in Bible Study Fellowship for a few years that I realized that Pressler's so-called Biblical exegesis and presentation, during the year I had spent listening to Paul in sunday school, was some type of convoluted political/religious polygamy. Virtually every sunday morning while attending his class, I would listen to Pressler pontificate an incessant stream of conservative religious politics. Each sunday it was an unending political rant, railing on and on, ad infinitum, about the differences between the conservatives and the moderates. At that time, it seemed Paul had some kind of strong pseudo-moral imperative agenda and a calling to strangely debate with himself (not the class), the specific distinctions of his seemingly political OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) agenda, constantly emphasizing the absolute virtuosity of his conservative religious political viewpoint, contrasting that narrative with his assessment of the egregious and irreconcilable errors of the so-called moderates. It was not that the chosen issues he presented could not be taught and resolved from a sound Biblical perspective - it was little Paul who seemed hopelessly trapped in a polemical mindset that was driven by a type of narcissism, a debilitating conflict in his mentality that would not allow him to simply teach the Bible line-by-line, precept upon precept (as the saying goes). If only Paul had utilized his brilliant mind and unique persuasive style to teach the incredible magnificence and the spiritual marvel of the entire Word of God to his audience, I surmise his students would have been better prepared to encounter in a more confident manner, the difficulties of this life we all share while here on earth. From what little Bible teaching I did learn from Pressler, I am grateful to him, but his teaching could have been so much better. Regarding his book specifically - it is in its totality, a comprehensive abstract descriptive of his abundant egocentric tendencies. Throughout the book he seems unable to attenuate his personal sense of having a type of elevated nobility, a merited accomplishment to which he alone reached for and deservedly attained. However, just as in the book he wrote, "A Hill On Which To Die", Pressler emphasizes his lineage and accomplishments,etc., more than those of the real Messiah, The Lord of Heavens Armies - The Lord Jesus Christ, The sinless Incarnate Son of God, God in the flesh who died on the cross and rose from the dead for all the sins of all humanity, past, present, and future, "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shall be saved." John 3:16.

[ red mine]
Aside: this commenter blew the John 3:16 quote but got the main idea.

to which a comment was made in August 2017 (4 months ago):

Junior #'s 32:23 4 months ago
A brilliant and painfully accurate outline and overview of both the book AND the egocentric man by abc123. From the time frame and locale that you describe, it is very likely that I have met you or that our paths have crossed. I have known him for decades. To be blunt, your initial impressions of him, those which you had to convince yourself to brush aside at some point, have turned out to be correct as well as far more pervasive than you may realize. There is a Light that has already begun to shine into the darkness. Stay tuned.

[ red mine]

Could this be from Gareld Duane Rollins? What would “stay tuned” mean if not an early reference to the lawsuit.
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:12 am

Oh. I see this story was posted by Timothy earlier on Dec 6. Didn’t see that.

So read both posts. Mine has the lawsuit itself which I’ll add to Timothy’s.
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:38 am

KeithE wrote:
Dave Roberts wrote:This is old news because the accusations have been out there for at least 25 years. What is new is that this is the first time it will be heard before a judge and Pressler will have to answer in a civil court in which the standard of proof is lower than in a criminal court.

Interesting. He'll have a higher court as well!

Where did you hear this Dave? I’ve searched for "Paul Pressler Gareld Duane Rollins” and found nothing prior to the lawsuit being filed on October 18, 2017 and mentioned online on Oct 23, 2017. Not questioning you but just wondering if it was going around Baptist circles for decades as unprinted oral tradition.

I guess allegations/accusations are not checked out/prosecuted against people who hide behind right-wing piety or politics (for the matter).

I had not mentioned it before because it was all in unsubstantiated rumors that circulated in the 1980's. They came primarily from Texas Baptists who did not like Pressler for other reasons.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:59 am

There are plenty of people who want this to be true and accurate. There is nothing to lead me to so conclude at this point.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:11 am

William Thornton wrote:There are plenty of people who want this to be true and accurate. There is nothing to lead me to so conclude at this point.

And there are plenty people who want to say this is all false.

That's why I try to dig deeper into lawsuit words, Amazon reviews.

I’m about 70% saying the allegations are true, 30% an extortion attempt at this point. Am I biased? Sure, but probably a lot less so that many herein believe.
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:17 pm

KeithE wrote:
William Thornton wrote:There are plenty of people who want this to be true and accurate. There is nothing to lead me to so conclude at this point.

I’m about 70% saying the allegations are true, 30% an extortion attempt at this point. Am I biased? Sure, but probably a lot less so that many herein believe.

This is one of the dumbest things I've read here.

How about this: "Retired rocket scientist solves crime by using anonymous Amazon reviews." Sheesh.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:37 pm

William Thornton wrote:
KeithE wrote:

This is one of the dumbest things I've read here.

How about this: "Retired rocket scientist solves crime by using anonymous Amazon reviews." Sheesh.

This is what is ridiculous. I pointed out one interesting possibility on Amazon reviews on Pressler's book. - read about it here.

Then, I explicitly say i'm about 70% / 30% on the Pressler allegations yet William says I’ve claimed to have solved the crime.

You ought to apply as a Breitbart headline writer. Look at Breitbart's extrapolation of Nelson admission of adding notes to her yearbook under Moore's signature to she “forged” Roy Moore’s signature. Even Fox News retracted that. You ought to be much more careful.
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:59 pm

Got it. Odds are better than 2:1 he's guilty based on anonymous AZ reviews and plaintiff's filing. :roll:
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:47 pm

William Thornton wrote:Got it. Odds are better than 2:1 he's guilty based on anonymous AZ reviews and plaintiff's filing. :roll:

Near nothing on the Amazon reviews. Just a point of interest I happened on.

I was at ~50% when I read the Texas Monitor article and got to ~70% as I read the lawsuit. We may not hear much more until the trial outcome.
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby JE Pettibone » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:03 pm

KeithE wrote:
William Thornton wrote:Got it. Odds are better than 2:1 he's guilty based on anonymous AZ reviews and plaintiff's filing. :roll:

Near nothing on the Amazon reviews. Just a point of interest I happened on.

I was at ~50% when I read the Texas Monitor article and got to ~70% as I read the lawsuit. We may not hear much more until the trial outcome.

Ed: That would be great
JE Pettibone

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:28 pm

Time will tell. I’ll be interested in the report of the jury one way or another since I’ve seen on other forums that there has been rumors about Pressler like this for many years. Rumors may not be true of course. But I have noticed over the years that people who abuse power don’t necessarily turn out to be free of moral problems in other parts of their life either.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
My Blog - http://timbonney.com
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:36 pm

Isn't that the truth?

I'm not going to speculate. Pressler has to be well on his way to 90 years old by now. I hope the enemies he made among Baptists will be gracious and not vindictive if this turns out to be true.
Sandy
Sandy

Postby Haruo » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:13 pm

Sandy wrote:I'm not going to speculate. Pressler has to be well on his way to 90 years old by now. I hope the enemies he made among Baptists will be gracious and not vindictive if this turns out to be true.

I hope they find a way to be gracious that doesn't involve compounding the abuse. It's very hard sometimes to be gracious toward someone who abused another without appearing uncaring about that other.
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:36 am

I personally will not mention this again until it comes to trial or settlement. My suspicion is that it may be arbitrated with gag orders or settled out of court with a confidentiality agreement enforced.

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:54 am

I have yet to see BNG report on this, nor any other reputable religious news outlet.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:53 am

Happened or not happened is still to be proven. But it isn't "rumor mongering" to report on an actual lawsuit. The events may be rumors. The lawsuit is a real thing.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
My Blog - http://timbonney.com
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Next

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum