[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Bothered...

Bothered...

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Bothered...

Postby Jon Estes » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:35 am

I just don't get it, in a spiritual/biblical sense.
Living in Dubai for that which I was purposed
Jon Estes

Re: Bothered...

Postby William Thornton » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:56 am

He can...so he does. Celebs need not be accountable to anyone. The most disqualified minister can get a following. Did an SBC church ordain him? If so, why hasn't that been revoked?
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Jon Estes » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:34 am

Living in Dubai for that which I was purposed
Jon Estes

Postby Dave Roberts » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:58 am

One of the problems in our Baptist ordination practices is that there is no follow-up between the church and the one ordained and certainly no responsibility taken. For example, my home church ordained me in 1968. That was the last time I was a member there. I have not been invited back there to preach since my parents died in the 1990's, and I've only been invited twice in my entire ministry. Few people there know me or even know anything about me now. When I was a seminary student, I was aware that churches close to the campus tended to have several ordinations each spring before people went out to their places of service. I seriously doubt that those churches know anything about ordination.

As a pastor, I have received one request that a church I served revoke the ordination of someone the church had ordained thirty years earlier. When we asked the group requesting that we do this to send representatives to meet with our deacons to explain the situation and then we would meet with the person who had been ordained there, no one responded to our request, so I assume that person is still ordained (if still living). Since only the ordaining congregation can revoke an ordination, very few are ever lifted.

How should we better our system? I've often asked, but I don't know how to do it among autonomous churches.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:15 am

Rvaughn

Postby William Thornton » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:22 am

I don't know how to make ordination into something churches are more serious about. Some churches would ordain a ham sandwich. Revocation? Hen's teeth.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby JE Pettibone » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:07 pm

JE Pettibone

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:39 pm

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:22 am

I would hope this might be something that CBF will one day begin to address following some of the ABC model.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:24 am

Rvaughn

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:49 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby JE Pettibone » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:18 pm

JE Pettibone

Postby Rvaughn » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:28 pm

Ed, to restate or clarify the last question -- basically, what are the repercussions to a local church that chooses to ignore this "reconditioning" process?
Rvaughn

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:41 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:16 pm

Sounds like part of the purpose is as much for the ABCUSA as for the church.
Rvaughn

Postby Haruo » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:01 pm

In the ABC Yearbook there always used to be (it's been over a decade since I looked at one) pastors who were marked as "LO" (I think it was) meaning "local ordination" and as I understood it indicating that the ordination had not been recognized by the Association, Region or other ABC entity.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:03 pm

And I'm pretty sure that in Evergreen anyway regional approval requires a certain level of seminary education (not sure if it has to be MDiv). But there's a big difference between an undereducated pastor and an underhanded one.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:43 am

Rvaughn

Postby JE Pettibone » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:27 am

JE Pettibone

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:47 pm

Tim Bonney