Kentucky Primitive Baptists make Oxford Music edition

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Kentucky Primitive Baptists make Oxford Music edition

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:48 pm

Oxford American special annual music issue and CD. Story in the John Grisham founded mag ruled obscene at the Collinsville Public Library circa 2003

Story in print issue, link to follow

http://www.oxfordamerican.org/magazine/ ... the-spirit
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: Kentucky Primitive Baptists make Oxford Music edition

Postby Rvaughn » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:39 pm

Thanks for the link. Looks very interesting.

P.S. The Old Regular Baptists are actually a distinct denomination from the Primitive Baptists.
Rvaughn

Postby Sandy » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:13 am

Rvaughn wrote:Thanks for the link. Looks very interesting.

P.S. The Old Regular Baptists are actually a distinct denomination from the Primitive Baptists.

Yes, they are. When I was in college, I spent a summer trudging up and down roads through the hollers in Pike County, Kentucky and Mingo County, West Virginia, selling books, a Bible dictionary, a children's Bible story series, and a selection of Bibles. The top seller in that territory was a black leather bound KJV called a "blue ribbon Bible" because it had a blue cloth marker. I saw lots of the little plain, square sometimes brick, sometimes frame Old Regular and Primitive Baptist churches, with hand-lettered signs. They were hard to visit, because you had to figure out which Sunday of the month they were meeting in that particular location. My sales partner and I went to a couple of Old Regular Baptist services, and at least one Primitive. I saw no difference at all, and of course at that time, as a college student, heard none either, so I asked an Old Regular elder while I was trying, unsuccessfully, to sell him a Bible dictionary. The gist of his remarks were about having spiritual discernment to detect error, and some fine points of difference on interpretation on which the Primitive Baptists somehow missed the point. I didn't really see much difference at all, but to him, it was the difference between his assurance of heaven, and doubt about whether Primitive Baptists would make it.

This was a great article, very informative. Good to hear that there are still a number of Old Regulars around. Back in the 70's, their numbers were going down rapidly, they were mostly elderly, the younger people were getting an education and leaving the area, and leaving the churches. When I took a group of kids from my school in Texas on a construction ministry trip to Pike County in 2004, their presence was much less, though we still ran into a few, and a lady whose house we roofed had her pastor come across the road one day after lunch to lead the group in some "sangin'" as she called it. The kids thought the way they did it was great.

If you want a good sample of some Primitive Baptist "sangin'", google Hazel Dickens. She has been honored at the Smithsonian, and performed there. Much of her music is folk singing, from which she made a living, but she also sang hymns from her childhood, growing up in the home of a Primitive Baptist pastor. She sings a song called "Beautiful Hills of Galilee" which really captures that style. She is a grand, West Virginia lady, and one of my favorites. It will bring tears to your eyes, and bring you right into the presence of the Lord. I plan to have it played at my funeral.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wkt4dznOkoQ
Sandy
Sandy

Postby Haruo » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:24 pm

Pretty sure Jean Ritchie was an Old Regular Baptist, too.
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:35 pm

One of the bigger differences (generally) between Old Regulars and Primitives is that the latter hold the five points of TULIP, while very few Old Regulars do. Based on my limited experience I'd say worship styles of Appalachian Primitives are often more like their Old Regular neighbors than to other Primitives off at a distance. One of the more obvious is that most of them will not use a tune book (book with words & music). The vast majority of Primitive Baptists in Texas use a seven-shape note song book of one variety or the other. (There are a few "Absoluters" who use the Lloyd's Hymn Book or Goble's Hymn Book (words only).
Rvaughn

Postby Sandy » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:15 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7nclwcsXmg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ADDvooTHPc

A couple of my favorites by Hazel Dickens. The church services in the Old Regular Baptist churches were pretty intense. Most of the sermons started and finished at the same place, and were, in and of themselves, an art form of singing, wailing, shouting and emotional utterances. Not exactly informative or loaded with content, but certainly inspirational. But the music is unique, and really is the essence of the worship experience. The Hazel Dickens songs I posted aren't church music, but I still love the style, and I love her passion for people who are down and out.
Sandy
Sandy

Postby Rvaughn » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:56 pm

Rvaughn wrote:There are a few "Absoluters" who use the Lloyd's Hymn Book or Goble's Hymn Book (words only).
Looking back, I think I need to clarify this. As far as I know, ALL the Absolute Predestination Primitive Baptists in Texas use words only hymn books. They are few in number in comparison to the Old Line (Conditional) Primitive Baptists.

There is a good bit of Old Regular lined singing on You Tube. One interesting thing to do is compare the sound to the Gaelic lined Psalmody.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3MzZgPBL3Q
Rvaughn

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum