Christmas is coming

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Re: Christmas is coming

Postby Jim » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:43 am

Jim

Postby Haruo » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:20 pm

Thanks, Jim!
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Jim » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:40 am

A joyful carol if done trippingly-on-the-tongue: http://clarkscorner.org/hymn63.pdf.
Jim

Postby Rvaughn » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:03 am

Looks good. I wouldn't mind seeing some of these in shape notes. Do you ever set them that way?
Rvaughn

Postby Haruo » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:58 pm

I was hoping to include at least one of Jim's tunes in "Sankta Harmonio", maybe the one I included in "Cousins' Christmas Carol Collection" or maybe something simpler, but I haven't begun working on that part yet.

MIRTH is the tune in question. I don't recall Jim's text for it, but I set it to Noyes's "Carol of the Fir Tree".
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Jim » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:46 pm

Haruo wrote:I was hoping to include at least one of Jim's tunes in "Sankta Harmonio", maybe the one I included in "Cousins' Christmas Carol Collection" or maybe something simpler, but I haven't begun working on that part yet.

MIRTH is the tune in question. I don't recall Jim's text for it, but I set it to Noyes's "Carol of the Fir Tree".

This carol may be judged as weird, both in text and tune (minor, of course): http://clarkscorner.org/hymn61.pdf. The words of the text are both inter- and intra-laced. Two pages, so don't give up on it. Here is a tune you might like, though not a carol...also two pages: http://www.clarkscorner.org/hymn95.pdf. Feel free to use.
Jim

Postby Jim » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:26 pm

Rvaughn wrote:
Looks good. I wouldn't mind seeing some of these in shape notes. Do you ever set them that way?

No. I'm afraid I never have been exposed to singing in shaped notes, though when I was young an old railroad engineer-neighbor sang them for me, using just the note-names. It was interesting and he was good at it. I think I attended a shaped-note sing years ago but I was lost, of course, not least because I'm not much of a musician in the first place. This carol, in both rhyme- and rhythm-scheme, is patterned after that of my favorite hymn, O Love that Wilt Not Let Me Go (Matheson/Peace [St. Margaret]). This text can be sung to that tune.
Jim

Postby Haruo » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:32 am

I wrote:I was hoping to include at least one of Jim's tunes in "Sankta Harmonio", maybe the one I included in "Cousins' Christmas Carol Collection" or maybe something simpler, but I haven't begun working on that part yet.

I finally found it. Wish Jim's hymn page had a tune-name index (or at least gave the tune name after each first line or title so you could just scan for it without four dozen clicks!
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:44 am

I've totally missed this thread some how just as Advent is almost over. :(

We are having an 8:30a morning service on Christmas Eve (instead of our usual three morning services) and then we are having three evening services at 3p, 5p, and 7p. The worship order is pretty basic with Christmas Carols, a sermon and candle lighting. The main difference between the services is music selections and which music groups are leading worship.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
My Blog - http://timbonney.com
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:14 pm

New Year's Thread coming right up.
Haruo