[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Our clergy housing allowance: unconstitutional...again

Our clergy housing allowance: unconstitutional...again

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Our clergy housing allowance: unconstitutional...again

Postby William Thornton » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:49 am

I can almost guarantee that all of my clergy colleagues have seen this, since it is our sacred clergy tax break and puts real money in our pockets every year.

is my article.

Baptist Press:

BNG, Bob Allen:

My insightful and HA expert CPA friend Peter Reilly's Forbes tax blog:

One pastor's defense

My view: It's not an establishment of religion but a pretty sweet tax break.

For laity who may care and are puzzled: Qualifying clergy (most any ordained person, rabbi, imam, etc.) may receive part of their income as "housing allowance" and completely exclude that amount from income for income tax purposes. The clergy must pay social security on the amount, though. The average SBC pastor with cash income of around $70,000 probably excludes $20,000 or so of this through the HA.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Re: Our clergy housing allowance: unconstitutional...again

Postby Sandy » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:46 pm

It's much more complicated than it appears on the surface.

It seems like it might be easier to keep the allowance if its use is expanded to all employees of non-profit agencies, instead of being limited to religious entities. The establishment clause doesn't mean that it's OK if the law applies to all religions equally, the Lemon Test, which has been applied by the federal courts for quite some time, means that establishment occurs unless there is a singularly secular purpose that has been established. By making the allowance available to the leadership of anything that can be defined as "religious," the government is simply establishing all religions equally. By including the employees of organizations that might have a secular mission and purpose, it would avoid that establishment.

As an ordained minister of the gospel working for a "religious" institution, I could get a HA if I wanted one, but past experience has taught me that I wind up saving a little bit more money by taking the FICA match, and avoiding the quarterly tax filing headache.
Sandy

Postby Dave Roberts » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:36 pm

I'm afraid it's the same plaintiffs and the same judge all over again. Now it will go back through the same appellate process. We probably won't know what this ruling means for two to five years.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:34 am

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:03 am

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:47 pm

Here is the most recent update on this from Religion Dispatches.

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:14 pm

As expected, the judge stayed any action or changes until 180 days after appeals are over.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:46 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:36 pm

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:54 pm

I am not an employee of my church, and don't mess with the housing allowance either.
Rvaughn

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:53 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:29 am

You may be right and it not be much of a problem. I'm not sure what position our denominational leaders would take but feel sure there would be considerable support from pastors. A transitional period could be created. Exceptions for individual congregations who profess a conscientious objection could be made. While I've often seen such a proposal discussed on the blogs, I'm not aware of any lawmaker ever proposing it.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:49 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum