Jonah: Prejudice for a People, Pity for a Gourd

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Jonah: Prejudice for a People, Pity for a Gourd

Postby Haruo » Mon May 22, 2017 1:39 pm

This is the title of a 2009 book by RLVaughn, according to his blog's bibliography thread. Since one of my own publications, not quite a book, is about Jonah, indeed, more or less consists of Jonah, this intrigues me. But I don't find it when I google the title. Robert?
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
Haruo
Site Admin

Re: Jonah: Prejudice for a People, Pity for a Gourd

Postby Rvaughn » Mon May 22, 2017 4:11 pm

Leland, that is a booklet produced for a Bible study on the book of Jonah at our church (as are several of the others on that list). It is no longer in print.

[Added: I sent you a pdf file.]
Last edited by Rvaughn on Mon May 22, 2017 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rvaughn

Postby Haruo » Mon May 22, 2017 4:25 pm

Too bad. If you ever find an extra copy lying around, consider me.
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Mon May 22, 2017 4:52 pm

Haruo wrote:Too bad. If you ever find an extra copy lying around, consider me.
I edited after you posted. I don't think I have any copies left anywhere, but I made a pdf file and sent to you via e-mail.
Rvaughn

Postby Haruo » Mon May 22, 2017 5:47 pm

Thanks! I find Jonah a particularly interesting "minor prophet" (even though I don't think the book is either minor or a prophecy), and am always interested in others' takes on it. Although my "oratorio" is 20 years old this year, I am also still interested in feedback on my footnotes to it. Also, if you (or anyone) has any, interesting hymnic treatments of the matter. I intend to include "The ribs and terrors in the whale", probably set to a recent Polish-fasola tune, in "Sankta Harmonio".
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Mon May 22, 2017 10:54 pm

Haruo wrote:Thanks! I find Jonah a particularly interesting "minor prophet" (even though I don't think the book is either minor or a prophecy), and am always interested in others' takes on it. Although my "oratorio" is 20 years old this year, I am also still interested in feedback on my footnotes to it. Also, if you (or anyone) has any, interesting hymnic treatments of the matter. I intend to include "The ribs and terrors in the whale", probably set to a recent Polish-fasola tune, in "Sankta Harmonio".
I was surprised by your oratorio (in the sense I was just expecting some written "book-like" material) and am intrigued by it. While we may have some important theological differences, it seems we may have come to basically the same general conclusion about the message of the book. One way I see it is that it provides a clear Old Testament answer to the New Testament question in Romans 3:29 "Is God the God of Jews only?"

I wrote a hymn and tune on Jonah during the time we were studying the book of Jonah. The hymn is rather long and somewhat awkward. The tune is a common meter hymn tune in (generally) the Sacred Harp style. I say "generally" because I did one thing we don't have in any Sacred Harp tunes -- it is a major tune that ends on an inverted minor chord (starts on one too, but we have a couple of those in the SH).
Rvaughn

Postby Haruo » Mon May 22, 2017 11:40 pm

Rvaughn wrote:
Haruo wrote:Thanks! I find Jonah a particularly interesting "minor prophet" (even though I don't think the book is either minor or a prophecy), and am always interested in others' takes on it. Although my "oratorio" is 20 years old this year, I am also still interested in feedback on my footnotes to it. Also, if you (or anyone) has any, interesting hymnic treatments of the matter. I intend to include "The ribs and terrors in the whale", probably set to a recent Polish-fasola tune, in "Sankta Harmonio".
I was surprised by your oratorio (in the sense I was just expecting some written "book-like" material) and am intrigued by it. While we may have some important theological differences, it seems we may have come to basically the same general conclusion about the message of the book. One way I see it is that it provides a clear Old Testament answer to the New Testament question in Romans 3:29 "Is God the God of Jews only?"

I wrote a hymn and tune on Jonah during the time we were studying the book of Jonah. The hymn is rather long and somewhat awkward. The tune is a common meter hymn tune in (generally) the Sacred Harp style. I say "generally" because I did one thing we don't have in any Sacred Harp tunes -- it is a major tune that ends on an inverted minor chord (starts on one too, but we have a couple of those in the SH).

Have you tried singing it in the hollow square? I find the question of whether a tune "works" in the square a better gauge of its suitability to the genre than whether this or that technical feature exists in the White/King/Cooper/Denson corpus.

I think some of the songs in my "oratorio" are a lot of fun to sing, but none of them is really intended for the Sacred Harp Singing context. I wrote it several years before I attended my first practice singing and more than a decade before I "got serious" about fasola stuff.

I find that some of the songs (Just Kill Me and The Phoenician Merchant Tar, especially) are well received in folk contexts like Song Circle or even Shanty Sings.
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Tue May 23, 2017 3:56 pm

No, we've not sung it. I write so many songs I don't try to foist most of them on our local group to try. Just some once in awhile. We did sing a song a few years back that ended in the same way mine does, that was composed in seven shapes by a Primitive Baptist singing school group. It gives it a kind of "unfinished" sound, but I think that is mostly because of expectations rather than reality. I think a lot of that is what you get used to. Don't know if you use Walker's Christian Harmony up that way. It has several songs that start on odd/unexpected chords (although I believe they probably all end on the tonic).
Rvaughn

Postby Haruo » Tue May 23, 2017 5:11 pm

Rvaughn wrote: Don't know if you use Walker's Christian Harmony up that way.

The great majority of singings in and around Seattle are from the 1991 Denson book. Cooper comes in second, and the American Christmas Harp third. Christian Harmony 2010 is fourth, and there is sporadic use of the Shenandoah Harmony and of Dailey's (sp?) Primitive Baptist hymn and tune book.
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Fri May 26, 2017 4:09 pm

Our primary books are the 2012 Cooper Edition and the 1991 Denson book (with a few more singings from the former that the latter). We use the Christian Harmony 2010 at one annual singing, but attend several singings in Mississippi that use the Christian Harmony. I own both the American Christmas Harp and the Shenandoah Harmony -- nice books -- but we don't sing from them here. At least one (maybe more) of the Arkansas singings supplements the 1991 edition with the Missouri Harmony.
Rvaughn

Postby Haruo » Sat May 27, 2017 3:02 am

I don't think I've heard of any Missouri Harmony singings in the Pacific Northwest. I went to one in northern California that was half Denson and half Eclectic Harmony (the four-shape volume).
Haruo
Site Admin

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum