[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Preferred Bible Version

Preferred Bible Version

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Re: Preferred Bible Version

Postby Haruo » Fri May 19, 2017 12:50 pm

There are no inexpensive Esperanto Bibles these days. But the 1926 text should be in the public domain, so if one wanted to one could.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Fri May 19, 2017 6:50 pm

While browsing thru the various English translation found at Biblegateway.com, I discovered The Voice. I really like it. I am going to use it, this week, along with William F. Beck translation for Acts 8: 26-40. I read this story in 7 or 8 bibles tonight, and The Voice is the only one that offers some clarification as to why the Ethiopian asked if there was anything to prevent him from being baptized. In a footnote (within the scripture), it says "possibly a reference to the Jewish prohibition of full participation in temple worship by men who have been castrated----a prohibition he likely encounters in this very visit to Jerusalem." I will share this with y class because they have probably never heard that before. I had not.
Jesus paid the price for me and everybody.
Chris

Postby James » Tue May 23, 2017 10:30 am

I use the RSV/NRSV almost exclusively for study and devotional reading. I do not carry a Bible to church. It is hard to keep track of a Bible when I sing in the choir. Instead, I have a church Bible (NRSV) which stays in my Sunday School class. I use several other versions for reference. I have a Criswell study Bible and a Liberty (Falwell) Study Bible which I use when I want to review what fundamentalists say about the Bible. I use the Message when studying Paul. In the Message, Paul almost makes sense.

I received my first RSV from my home church. It was the complete Bible and just published, but I have also had a KJV from an early age. I always took my KJV to Florida for my long summer visits to my mother's family. My RSV would have caused a way at Knight's Missionary Baptist Church.

For the Pentateuch, I prefer the Schocken Bible/Commentary. It is proclaimed the most accurate translation ever. At least it translated Gen 1:1 correctly.
James North
CBF, Virginia
Born again by God's free grace
James

Postby James » Tue May 23, 2017 10:37 am

Several month's ago I spent a Sunday afternoon on Barns and Noble web site counting the number of Bible translations currently available in English. I think I remember coming up with a total of 64.
James North
CBF, Virginia
Born again by God's free grace
James

Postby Haruo » Tue May 23, 2017 11:19 am

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Tue May 23, 2017 11:43 am

One type of study Bible I have often thought of purchasing (but have failed to up to this point) is a Chronological Study Bible. Anyone own or use one of those?
Rvaughn

Postby Haruo » Tue May 23, 2017 12:00 pm

Historicity isn't of primary importance to me, but sometimes vantage points other than one's customary ones can come in handy in broadening one's vision or providing new things to look at, so a Chronological Study Bible might not do me any harm; a Bible where the texts were given in the order of composition might be enlightening, too, though of course there's even more disagreement about that than about the order of the events recounted (and whether they even have any historical reality, viz. Jonah).

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Tue May 23, 2017 12:07 pm

Yes, I can see that could be problematic, and even a downside of a chronological study bible that could create confusion. Will we go by the historical timeline of the events or the historical timeline of the writing? Whose historical timeline will be accepted or rejected? Lots of leeway there. Still, I have thought it would be interesting to read the Bible through that way.
Rvaughn

Postby Chris » Tue May 23, 2017 1:25 pm

Chris

KJV

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue May 23, 2017 7:45 pm

Ive read Adam Nicholson's God's Secretaries and KJV is the best music. What maybe 5 percent of the world's readers are curious enough to appreciate or make insight from other versions, so it ends up just being some kind of church parlor game.

KJV was good for Paul and Silas and its good enough for me
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby Sandy » Tue May 23, 2017 7:58 pm

Sandy

Postby Chris » Tue May 23, 2017 9:37 pm

Chris

Postby Rvaughn » Tue May 23, 2017 9:45 pm

Rvaughn

Postby Chris » Wed May 24, 2017 7:08 am

Chris

Postby Rvaughn » Wed May 24, 2017 8:57 pm

Thanks, Chris. Interesting account of how you got it. I had not heard of this one. I searched the title and found it on Amazon.
Rvaughn

Previous

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum