Reminder of forum rule #2

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Reminder of forum rule #2

Postby JE Pettibone » Fri May 12, 2017 11:33 am

2) No hate language or speech is allowed. Although pointed exchanges are to be expected, malicious attitudes towards other users will not be tolerated. Persons of varied ethnic and religious backgrounds participate in and/or browse the forums. Christ makes it clear that we are to love one another; accordingly, please do not speak derogatorily of individuals or people groups.

As I see it the worst offenses are in the Political Forum.
JE Pettibone

Re: Reminder of forum rule #2

Postby Dave Roberts » Fri May 12, 2017 2:42 pm

Ed, shouldn't your post be on that forum, then?
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Fri May 12, 2017 3:53 pm

Where are the forum rules posted?
Rvaughn

Postby William Thornton » Fri May 12, 2017 4:32 pm

JE Pettibone wrote:2) No hate language or speech is allowed. Although pointed exchanges are to be expected, malicious attitudes towards other users will not be tolerated. Persons of varied ethnic and religious backgrounds participate in and/or browse the forums. Christ makes it clear that we are to love one another; accordingly, please do not speak derogatorily of individuals or people groups.

It would be helpful if you reported the posts that you think are violations.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog, SBC Plodder
William Thornton
Site Admin

Does pettibone have anybody or examples in mind?

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri May 12, 2017 5:36 pm

That would get to the heart of the matter if he posts examples
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby Tim Bonney » Fri May 12, 2017 10:48 pm

JE Pettibone wrote:2) No hate language or speech is allowed. Although pointed exchanges are to be expected, malicious attitudes towards other users will not be tolerated. Persons of varied ethnic and religious backgrounds participate in and/or browse the forums. Christ makes it clear that we are to love one another; accordingly, please do not speak derogatorily of individuals or people groups.

That doesn't narrow it down much. 90%+ of the posts on BL.com are about politics.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
My Blog - http://timbonney.com
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Fri May 12, 2017 11:34 pm

I agree with you Ed. Thanks for this general announcement.

And, as moderator of the PPP Forum, I have warned a few people about it over the last few years.

I will add “pointed exchanges” are allowed. But when it gets to name calling or malicious attitudes or deregulatory speech about other BL posters that are unrelated to actual issue argumentation is when it goes too far, imo. BTW, when the name calling or malicious attitudes or deregulatory speech about other BL poster occurs, it just shows the weakness of the arguments by those who use such.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
http://www.weatherly.org/discoverycenter
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Sat May 13, 2017 11:54 am

"derogatory", not "deregulatory", Keith. The typo colors your comment politically.
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sat May 13, 2017 3:10 pm

Haruo wrote:"derogatory", not "deregulatory", Keith. The typo colors your comment politically.

No intention just rushed keyboarding - busy last few days.
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Jim » Sat May 13, 2017 5:23 pm

KeithE wrote:

And, as moderator of the PPP Forum, I have warned a few people about it over the last few years.

I will add “pointed exchanges” are allowed. But when it gets to name calling or malicious attitudes or deregulatory speech about other BL posters that are unrelated to actual issue argumentation is when it goes too far, imo. BTW, when the name calling or malicious attitudes or deregulatory speech about other BL poster occurs, it just shows the weakness of the arguments by those who use such.

I've had two warnings in two days, thus have been very b-a-a-a-d-d-d. So...rather than expecting strike three by tomorrow at the latest, I bid the Forum au revoir, lest I traumatize someone into needing treatment. Perhaps soon, the PTESD will be defeated and peace will prevail whilst dems understand the republican House will not impeach and that Trump is having too much fun to resign. So have I, for that matter.
Jim

Postby William Thornton » Sat May 13, 2017 5:59 pm

Sorry to see you go, Jim. If you could put up a photo of you in a "Suck it up buttercup" tee shirt. But that might hurt some feelings... :roll:
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog, SBC Plodder
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Sat May 13, 2017 6:48 pm

Warnings do not mean that one or more moderators want someone to leave. The idea of a BaptistLife forum is to expect at least a little of the consideration that should define followers of Christ. I would hope that we all consider whether there is always a visible Christian approach, even in our fiercest disagreements.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby JE Pettibone » Sat May 13, 2017 11:52 pm

Ed: And I did not have Jm in mind when I posted my reminder of rule #2.
JE Pettibone

Postby Sandy » Sun May 14, 2017 12:27 am

I'm sure you didn't.
Sandy
Sandy

Postby Jon Estes » Sun May 14, 2017 3:13 am

KeithE wrote:

Keith,

Is derogatory language about those who are not BL posters acceptable?

As Christians, shouldn't we use non-derogatory language towards all?

Ed, Good timing on your original post.
Living in Dubai for that which I was purposed
Jon Estes

Postby KeithE » Sun May 14, 2017 12:21 pm

Jon Estes wrote:
KeithE wrote:

Keith,

Is derogatory language about those who are not BL posters acceptable?

As Christians, shouldn't we use non-derogatory language towards all?

Ed, Good timing on your original post.

The BL Rules speak of derogatory language to other BL posters. But as Christians we extend that to all.

Governmental figures should be scrutinized more due to other great effects on the subjects and the world. In the PPP Forum I allow speech commenting on public figure's policies and character.
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Jon Estes » Sun May 14, 2017 8:04 pm

KeithE wrote: The BL Rules speak of derogatory language to other BL posters. But as Christians we extend that to all.

Governmental figures should be scrutinized more due to other great effects on the subjects and the world. In the PPP Forum I allow speech commenting on public figure's policies and character.

Are you saying the BL rules in this area, which can lead to being banned, are less than Christian and acceptable?
Jon Estes

Postby KeithE » Sun May 14, 2017 9:59 pm

Jon Estes wrote:
KeithE wrote: The BL Rules speak of derogatory language to other BL posters. But as Christians we extend that to all.

Are you saying the BL rules in this area, which can lead to being banned, are less than Christian and acceptable?

No. I hope we treat our fellow human beings as we would like to be treated (golden rule). But when government officials stand in the way of the world’s fellow beings being treated well (in our own opinions), we are called to speak out so that fellow human beings (and btw God's creation) will be treated as well as possible. That is classic prophetic voice. Thus you are free to speak out harshly about Obama’s policies (I have done that on many occasions myself). And I am free to speak out against Trump’s policies (as I am increasing doing as I witness his lack of honesty, his policies favoring the rich and the corporations, and his lack of concern for God’s creation). If we could not speak against some of our leader’s policies and character on the PPP Forum, we would have nothing to discuss.

Please note Jim was not “banned”; he was warned about malicious attitudes towards other users.

It is the BL Rule 2 that seemed to me was violated in one of Jim’s posts.

2) No hate language or speech is allowed. Although pointed exchanges are to be expected, malicious attitudes towards other users will not be tolerated. Persons of varied ethnic and religious backgrounds participate in and/or browse the forums. Christ makes it clear that we are to love one another; accordingly, please do not speak derogatorily of individuals or people groups.

(Underline is mine.)

When Jim said:
Still bothered by PTESD/Clinton/Wiener/Putin/world? Try to intercept a little stuff from Mexico for Post Traumatic Election Stress Disorder but don't go near Pennsylvania, where you might get shot by a Pentecostal reading his Bible with one eye whilst aiming a double-barrel with the other.

I saw that as malicious - instructing Sandy "to intercept a little stuff from Mexico”, and that he might just get shot in his Pennsylvania home. That is wishing someone else harm the very definition of malicious. I also noted that there was nothing pertaining to the post being argued about; just striking out personally.

So I (as Moderator of the PPP Forum) warned him nicely. He quit. He was not banned and is still on the roles. He is welcome back (his choice).

I carefully read his posts and sometimes agree and I say so. Also I very often enjoy his colorful phraseology. But when there is malicious intent behind it; that ceases to be funny or enjoyable.
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Sun May 14, 2017 10:56 pm

Where are the forum rules posted?
Rvaughn

Postby Jon Estes » Sun May 14, 2017 11:41 pm

KeithE wrote:
Jon Estes wrote:

No. I hope we treat our fellow human beings as we would like to be treated (golden rule). But when government officials stand in the way of the world’s fellow beings being treated well (in our own opinions), we are called to speak out so that fellow human beings (and btw God's creation) will be treated as well as possible. That is classic prophetic voice. Thus you are free to speak out harshly about Obama’s policies (I have done that on many occasions myself). And I am free to speak out against Trump’s policies (as I am increasing doing as I witness his lack of honesty, his policies favoring the rich and the corporations, and his lack of concern for God’s creation). If we could not speak against some of our leader’s policies and character on the PPP Forum, we would have nothing to discuss.

Please note Jim was not “banned”; he was warned about malicious attitudes towards other users.

(Underline is mine.)

When Jim said:
Still bothered by PTESD/Clinton/Wiener/Putin/world? Try to intercept a little stuff from Mexico for Post Traumatic Election Stress Disorder but don't go near Pennsylvania, where you might get shot by a Pentecostal reading his Bible with one eye whilst aiming a double-barrel with the other.

I saw that as malicious - instructing Sandy "to intercept a little stuff from Mexico”, and that he might just get shot in his Pennsylvania home. That is wishing someone else harm the very definition of malicious. I also noted that there was nothing pertaining to the post being argued about; just striking out personally.

So I (as Moderator of the PPP Forum) warned him nicely. He quit. He was not banned and is still on the roles. He is welcome back (his choice).

I carefully read his posts and sometimes agree and I say so. Also I very often enjoy his colorful phraseology. But when there is malicious intent behind it; that ceases to be funny or enjoyable.

My concern is not disagreement with a persons policy or position. Nor was I thinking of Jim. Derogatory name calling is to what I refer. My opinion is just that... my opinion. I see derogatory name calling of those not here as malicious. If it is wrong towards users, it ought to be wrong... period.
Jon Estes

Postby JE Pettibone » Sun May 14, 2017 11:41 pm

Keith says
"Please note Jim was not 'banned', he was warned about malicious attitudes towards other users.

No hate language or speech is allowed. Although pointed exchanges are to be expected, malicious attitudes towards other users will not be tolerated. Persons of varied ethnic and religious backgrounds participate in and/or browse the forums. Christ makes it clear that we are to love one another; accordingly, please do not speak derogatorily of individuals or people groups."

When Jim said:

Ed: Keith, what is malicious about warning some one about a perceived danger? Note, as you quote him, Jim said nothing about a possibility or probability of Sandy being shot in his own home. And since jim says "go to" Pennsylvania I question if he was referring to Sandy who as you say is already in PA.
And while quoting Jim, how about letting the rest of us judge how "nicely" you warned him?

BTW it was only 8:41 here in Tucson when I posted this.
JE Pettibone

Postby Jon Estes » Mon May 15, 2017 1:18 am

KeithE wrote:When Jim said:

When I read this, I was thinking and maybe Jim was referring to the following Obama comment...

"You go into these small towns in Pennsylvania and, like a lot of small towns in the Midwest, the jobs have been gone now for 25 years and nothing's replaced them. And they fell through the Clinton administration, and the Bush administration, and each successive administration has said that somehow these communities are gonna regenerate and they have not.

And it's not surprising then they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy toward people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations."

As political savvy as you want to be seen as, I thought you would know of this quote.
Jon Estes

Postby Haruo » Mon May 15, 2017 3:49 am

I remember that quotation from Obama, but it didn't come to mind in this context until you pointed it out, Jon. Thanks. The allusion is clear and well-executed.
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Mon May 15, 2017 8:39 am

Jon Estes wrote:
KeithE wrote:When Jim said:

When I read this, I was thinking and maybe Jim was referring to the following Obama comment...

"You go into these small towns in Pennsylvania and, like a lot of small towns in the Midwest, the jobs have been gone now for 25 years and nothing's replaced them. And they fell through the Clinton administration, and the Bush administration, and each successive administration has said that somehow these communities are gonna regenerate and they have not.

And it's not surprising then they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy toward people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations."

As political savvy as you want to be seen as, I thought you would know of this quote.

Sorry, I did not know of that quote. I knew that Sandy lived in PA.
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Jim » Mon May 15, 2017 8:45 am

Haruo wrote:I remember that quotation from Obama, but it didn't come to mind in this context until you pointed it out, Jon. Thanks. The allusion is clear and well-executed.

In an effort to delete some posts of hymns, etc., that I had submitted, I chanced to see the fallout from my perfectly innocent remarking of Obama's description in 2008 of Hillary's deplorables of 2016. I figured that the most self-admitted sophisticated of posters (the anti-Trump crowd) would surely get the point but I was wrong. Here are some sites to observe: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2015/12/21/obama-dusts-off-his-cling-to-guns-or-religion-idea-for-donald-trump/?utm_term=.a448f7b6a2f4;
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2008/apr/14/barackobama.uselections2008;%20http://www.politico.com/blogs/ben-smith/2008/04/obama-on-small-town-pa-clinging-to-religion-guns-xenophobia-007737; http://www.christianitytoday.com/gleani ... igion.html. I hope they still work but crude Pennsylvanians (actually evangelicals and Pentecostals) were put down by Obama amongst his many visits to the Hollywood wallets of agnostics and USA-haters, generally. So...searching with double-barrels under the bushes for immigrants (not Obama's "typical white persons" like his grandmother, who raised him) while reading the Psalms described the elitist attitude fairly accurately.

Sorry to have caused such furor among especially the self-righteous and uber-tender-hearted. Sensitivity has its place. Actually, I was once referenced by a moderator as a mule with ill-fitting blinders but I just laughed it off. Have a good day.
Jim

Next

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum