USF Religous Studies Scolarship

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

USF Religous Studies Scolarship

Postby JE Pettibone » Thu May 04, 2017 10:46 pm

Two weeks ago tomorrow we Attended the first annual University of South Florida Religious studies Department Reunion. The program has been in operation 47 years but this was the first reunion. It is hard to believe but it has been 22 years Since Trudy received her BA there. Also we finalized the paperwork for the Ed & Trudy Pettibone Scholarship grant for Religious Studies to be awarded each year to a non traditional student. We met all but one of the 2017 candidates for a degree one of whom will be attending New Orleans Baptist Seminary in the Fall

We went home with two T shirts emblaysoned with USF Religious Studies Department on the front, the back displays the Logos of several world Religions from Buddhism To Judaism to Christianity and several others along with the Department's theme "To know only one is to know none."
JE Pettibone

Re: USF Religous Studies Scolarship

Postby Haruo » Fri May 05, 2017 10:02 am

Arguably not a bad theme. ;-)
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Jim » Fri May 05, 2017 11:58 am

Haruo wrote:Arguably not a bad theme. ;-)

I know how to load and shoot and even clean my .38. I do not know how to do the same for other guns. I know only one gun but suspect that does not mean I know none. The logo statement is a contradiction that cannot be sustained. To know Christianity but no other religion simply means “I know only one.” That is a declaration that can be sustained.
Jim

Postby Haruo » Fri May 05, 2017 12:02 pm

Sure, the point is arguable. I'm not sure what "to know a religion" means, anyway.
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Fri May 05, 2017 4:05 pm

JE Pettibone wrote:Two weeks ago tomorrow we Attended the first annual University of South Florida Religious studies Department Reunion. The program has been in operation 47 years but this was the first reunion. It is hard to believe but it has been 22 years Since Trudy received her BA there. Also we finalized the paperwork for the Ed & Trudy Pettibone Scholarship grant for Religious Studies to be awarded each year to a non traditional student. We met all but one of the 2017 candidates for a degree one of whom will be attending New Orleans Baptist Seminary in the Fall

We went home with two T shirts emblaysoned with USF Religious Studies Department on the front, the back displays the Logos of several world Religions from Buddhism To Judaism to Christianity and several others along with the Department's theme "To know only one is to know none."

Thank you (Ed and Trudy) for your generosity toward noble ends.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
http://www.weatherly.org/discoverycenter
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby JE Pettibone » Fri May 05, 2017 11:40 pm

Jim wrote:

I know how to load and shoot and even clean my .38. I do not know how to do the same for other guns. I know only one gun but suspect that does not mean I know none. The logo statement is a contradiction that cannot be sustained. To know Christianity but no other religion simply means “I know only one.” That is a declaration that can be sustained.

Ed; Jim I am often in agreement with you but on this i SEE NO COMPARISON between a mechanical weapon and thoughts of Mankind and our varied understanding of creation and the/a creator.
JE Pettibone

Postby Haruo » Sat May 06, 2017 10:47 am

Luckily, Christianity, a human construct, is not what saves.
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Jim » Sat May 06, 2017 4:53 pm

JE Pettibone wrote:
Jim wrote:

Ed; Jim I am often in agreement with you but on this i SEE NO COMPARISON between a mechanical weapon and thoughts of Mankind and our varied understanding of creation and the/a creator.

No comparison was either intended or made. Obviously, I was unsuccessful in simply trying to make the point that if one knows something (anything) it cannot be said that he knows nothing. In any case, I'm sad today in remembering that my father died on this day 80 years ago on a railroad caboose in Oakdale, Tennessee. I still think of him continually.

Y O U N G B E N E A T H T H E S O D

At thirty-six, you were patched up
And given five to fight;
Today at eighty-two we’d sup -
Except that they were right.

December came at forty-one...
Your July was in bloom;
In my young springtime, you were gone,
For us there was no room.

So many lesser ones have stayed
Beyond the three-score-ten...
Have offered nil; with grief repaid
Their debt to God and men.

But, you who gave yourself away
And made a mark for God,
Such searing strain endured each day,
Went young beneath the sod.

The mystery deepens ever more...
It ever will be so;
No answer can be found before
We all have had to go.

- JLC -
19 December 1977
Jim

Postby Haruo » Sun May 07, 2017 12:00 am

Sorry to hear of your youthful bereavement. Having lost both my parents within a night at age 14, I have perhaps some clue what you lived through. Or maybe not, but in any event I am saddened by your story.
Haruo
Site Admin

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum