[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Dang, Billy Sunday Birt has died

Dang, Billy Sunday Birt has died

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Dang, Billy Sunday Birt has died

Postby William Thornton » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:10 am

Mass murderer in whom Fox has some interest died Thursday.

Although he had been in prison for decades, he lived in my town. I can show you where. He used to frequent a restaurant operated by some church members, one of whom remembers him paying for a meal with a $100 bill, a rare sight in those days.

Never did a mother name a child with higher aspirations only to be bitterly disappointed. Birt was a murderer, reputed to be a mass murderer, but in the words of his son, "the best father a son ever had."
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

I read the obit on Wednesday

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:25 pm

Was the first time I was online since his death April 7. I submitted a comment to the obit site. It was under moderation but not posted.

You know, William, he was taken from death row to Winder and baptized by a son in the mid 90s. The obit said all four sons first name was Billy, one Billy Stonewall Birt or Stoney. I think another was Montana. I think it was Montana who baptized him, an ordained Church of God preacher.

One of us should link the obit soon.

It is my understanding he was quite a legend, an authentic one at that, with his testimony in prison ministry.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: Dang, Billy Sunday Birt has died

Postby Rvaughn » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:55 pm

Looks like this is his obituary:
Rvaughn

Blackberries and Billy Sunday Birt

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:22 am

Stephen Fox

New Yorker connects Sallie Yates to Birt

Postby Stephen Fox » Thu May 25, 2017 8:51 pm

May 29 print issue of New Yorker, profile of Winder's Sallie Yates, has couple paragraphs on the Mother or widow of Mr Chancey, "moonshiner" who was with Birt in the Dixie Mafia before Birt found salvation.

Chancey used some legal shenanigans to get some property of a black woman. Yates took the case and justice was done. You can't make this stuff up

Stephen Fox

Re: New Yorker connects Sallie Yates to Birt

Postby William Thornton » Fri May 26, 2017 5:23 am

My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

lynching at Moore's Ford

Postby Stephen Fox » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:14 pm

Birt woulda been about 18 when the Moore's Ford Lynching occurred. They were talking about it yet againt today on NPR. July 25, 1946. Thornton has read the definitive book to date, Fire in the Cane Brake but a new chapter is about to be added it appears with a court hearing in Walton County, Monroe in October.

Stephen Fox

Re: New Yorker connects Sallie Yates to Birt

Postby KeithE » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:56 pm

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum