[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - D.Min program discernment

D.Min program discernment

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

D.Min program discernment

Postby Shawn Koester » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:58 pm

Brothers and sisters, I am on the verge of graduating from seminary with my Masters in Divinity (M.Div) from Claremont School of Theology (CST) in May. Praise the Lord! I'm in the process of discerning with the Lord about a D.Min program in about 3 to 5 years, and if he wants me to pursue it, where I should go? I need some thoughts on the following institutions:
Central Baptist Theological in Kansas
Perkins School of Theology in Dallas
Brite Divinity in Fort Worth
Lexington Theological in Kentucky
Palmer Seminary in Pennsylvania
Chicago Theological
Garrett Evangelical in Chicago
Candler School of Theology in Atlanta
St. Paul School of Theology in Leawood
American Baptist Seminary of the West in Berkeley
Baptist School of Theology at Richmond (BTSR)
PS: I have taken a Baptist History and Polity with ABSW and enjoyed it thoroughly.

My concentrations I'm looking into are Transformational Leadership, Church revitalization/planting, Preaching and Worship
Shawn Koester

Re: D.Min program discernment

Postby Sandy » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:54 pm

If you're looking at church revitalization, transformational leadership and the preaching and worship emphasis, (this recommendation may be shocking for some board members, coming from me) and your list is representative of the kind of perspective in which you are interested, I would recommend Wesley Theological Seminary in Washington, DC. When I was in church ministry several years ago, I got connected to them through some conferences and seminars, including one on the emergent church, and on revitalization, the latter of which included field experience for students.
Sandy

Postby Shawn Koester » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:59 pm

Shawn Koester

Postby Rvaughn » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:49 pm

I can't make this as a recommendation, and wouldn't be qualified to if I wanted to, but a Methodist preacher friend of mine apparently got a very good education at Perkins.
Rvaughn

Postby Dave Roberts » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:37 am

I think a lot depends on what you want to do with the degree. If it's pastoral ministry, BTSR and Truett are probably strong candidates as is McAfee. If you want to do counseling, Palmer may be a good choice. Don't know about some of their programs at all. Also, if you have a concern for the arts, Louisville Presbyterian and Wesley may be best.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum