[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Ethical dilemna

Ethical dilemna

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Ethical dilemna

Postby Chris » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:48 pm

I have a used Rolex watch, I bought while in the USAFin1962. It has been in a drawer for about 35 years because I like the accuracy of digital watches. As our savings are being drained, we are looking around for things we can sell. The watch had been wound too tightly and I knew I could not sell it without restoring it to working condition. Through a local jeweler, I found that Rolex USA would restore it for approx. $900. The jeweler told me she would have to insure it for $5000 when she mailed it, so I jumped to the conclusion I might get that for the watch. Spending $900 on it seemed like a no-brainer. I have seen similar watches on eBay for $3300 to $3700. Turns out, the particular model I have is more inthe $1300-$1800 range.
At first, I advertised the watch at $2800. Then lowered to $2500, and, after speaking with a different Rolex jeweler, I feel a more sensible price is $1500, so I advertised it on FaceBook this week for $1500.
Tonight, I was contacted by a sailor who offered me $1900 for the watch. He agreed to meet me at the jewelers store (a safe place) Saturday at 3pm ("broad daylight"--not dark).
Ethical question:::: After having advertised it for $1500 (he apparently hasnt seen that), can I take his $1900?
Jesus paid the price for me and everybody.
Chris

Re: Ethical dilemna

Postby William Thornton » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:28 am

It is troublesome that he saw the $1500 price and offered above that. Why? My concern would be about security and scams, not ethics. You used to work in law enforcement (I think). See if a meeting can be arranged at the police station and see what he does. I've sold a good bit of stuff, some in the hundreds of dollars per item, on Craigslist. Some of the offers were almost certainly fraudulent but I never quite figured out the angle. They disappeared when I said I'd meet at the local police station.

Cash, I presume. Wouldn't touch any kind of check.

You probably know a lot more about these things than I do. Good luck.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:54 am

I see no dilemma as the person making the offer must see a higher value. Like William, I would be on the alert for any type of scam or partner with the guy.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:23 am

Chris

Postby William Thornton » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:31 am

My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:36 am

Have the jeweler (a bank and banker would be better) check the watermarks and security strips on the bills. And raise the price back to $1900.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby JE Pettibone » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:28 pm

JE Pettibone

Postby Chris » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:09 pm

The sailor just messaged me that a friend (who has searched internet) told him the watch is only worth $1200. So he dropped his offer from$1900 to $1350. Since he has never seen the watch in person, I told him I would meet him at the agreed place and we would negotiate after he has seen it. I dont want to take advantage of a young serviceman. I know the fair price is closer to $1500 than $1900. He sound kinda naive.
Chris

Postby Haruo » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:50 pm

Since Jesus already paid for him, maybe you should just give it to him...

(that's what your footer seems to suggest)
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:11 pm

When the sailor saw the watch, he decided it didnt have the "eye appeal" he was seeking. My next step is to put it on Craig List.
Chris

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum