Happy New Year- We are Alive and Well

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Happy New Year- We are Alive and Well

Postby JE Pettibone » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:33 am

Happy New Year.

We have been in Lake City Florida since Oct 6th. Left Burnt Hills on Oct 2nd. The coach drove well, Love living in it. we will be here through march. Took a few extended road trips in the Jeep , Hooking for a Lot to buy as a Base camp. Got fed up with lousy gas mileage and traded for an end of the year deal on a Ford Focus Titanium. 38 MPG compared to the Jeeps 18 MPG

After visiting several RV Parks all over the state of Florida with lots for sale, we finally bought one in south Claremont about 35 mi ne of Disney. about hallway between our two boys who live in Florida and a 3 hour drive to Trudy's brother in West Palm.

Attended a CBF gathering in Jacksonville but that church is 58 miles from where we are located WE have attended a few nondenominational services in RV parks that we visited also some good services in SBC churches, but their programing is solidly supportive of SBC Leadership. Anti women in (pastoral) ministry and supportive of absolute inerrancy.

I will see if this will post. have had probles with two previous attempts
JE Pettibone

Re: Happy New Year- We are Alive and Well

Postby Haruo » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:28 pm

Yay!
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:15 am

Ed, glad your travels are going well.
Tim Bonney

First UMC, Indianola - http://indfumc.org (My charge starting July 1, 2017)
My Blog - http://timbonney.com
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:19 am

Glad to hear from you and Trudy. Sounds like the nomad lifestyle is agreeing with you. Happy New Year!
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:23 am

Let me know when you might be in the Northwest,
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby JE Pettibone » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:20 am

Haruo wrote:Let me know when you might be in the Northwest,

Ed: Hauro , "True RVers " fall into two or thee groups; A. Those who schedule every thing. B. Those Schedule nothing. and C. Those who Schedule things around events scheduled by others. We are in the latter group. I had hoped to make the ABC Biennial in Portland but had expected it to be in June as usual, but instead it is late in May into the first week of June. I now think that will be too early for us. We also have a son here in Florida who is getting married sometime this spring but the exact date hasn't been set, may delay our departure to head west. Wherever we are the third week of June we will fly to Atlanta for the CBF General assembly. and fly back to continue our travles .

Haven't driven the Coach anywhere since setting up here in Lake City, on October 8th. We will have had our new car one month on Monday and have driven just over 2000 miles, including a trip to Birmingham to watch USF beat South Carolina in the Birmingham bowl in overtime. Like to have frozen the 2nd half when the shadows covered the stadium. We went via way of Atlanta to drop off a check at the ABC Historical Society which is housed on the Atlanta Campus of Mercer University, we also had a tour of the facility led by the new Executive Director, Dr. Priscilla Eppinger who took over after Dr. Von Broekhaven retired. And one lot search trips around Central Florida plus two trips down to Clermont for the closing on our lot and visiting a couple facilities we are considering to have some updates to the coach. Changing florescent fixtures to LED's and touching up some scuffed paint plus replacing the main awning. Today we where at the new lot with one of their people to discuss our wants and wishes for a storage/work shed in which we can each have a desk and space for our wireless all in one printer, a coffee pot, dorm fridge and small microwave. Next is the landscaper to discuss some real low maintenance plants that will survive while we are away from Florida. When we finally get away from Fl we will be heading for California to visit my mothers sole surviving sister out of the seven I grew up being "bossed around" by, as an only child:wink: .

Also want to make a stop in Oklahoma to see Flick. But I may have do that on the way back. Best guess is that we will be in the Seattle area in early to mid August. but that is strictly a guess. I feel we need to be back in Fl. by mid November, every one else seems to have a chance of real nasty weather in Dec and January.
JE Pettibone

Postby Haruo » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:43 am

Don't know where you got your PDX date. The biennial will be cusp of July.

http://www.abc-usa.org/2016/03/17/save-the-date-join-us-in-portland-2017/
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby JE Pettibone » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:01 pm

Haruo wrote:Don't know where you got your PDX date. The biennial will be cusp of July.

Ed: Thanks for the correction. So we are back to trying to make both the ABC and CBF events.
JE Pettibone

Postby Haruo » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:11 am

I'm hoping to find a way to be in Portland for the Biennial and push Esperanto.
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby JE Pettibone » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:40 pm

Haruo wrote:I'm hoping to find a way to be in Portland for the Biennial and push Esperanto.

Ed: I hope to see you in Portland, would also like to take you to lunch . As I have reported to Trudy on this conversation, she has expressed an interest in learning more about Esperanto.
JE Pettibone

Postby Haruo » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:26 am

JE Pettibone wrote:
Haruo wrote:I'm hoping to find a way to be in Portland for the Biennial and push Esperanto.

Ed: I hope to see you in Portland, would also like to take you to lunch . As I have reported to Trudy on this conversation, she has expressed an interest in learning more about Esperanto.

I'd be happy to answer any questions she might have. Not knowing what, if anything, she already knows, I'm not sure where to start without prompting.
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Joseph Patrick » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:24 pm

JE Pettibone wrote:
Haruo wrote:Don't know where you got your PDX date. The biennial will be cusp of July.

Ed: Thanks for the correction. So we are back to trying to make both the ABC and CBF events.

From Joseph Patrick...aka Gerry Milligan,

Haruo and JE, if you two make it to Portland for the festivities let me know and maybe we might all get together.
Joseph Patrick

Postby Haruo » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:08 pm

Joseph Patrick wrote:
JE Pettibone wrote:

Haruo and JE, if you two make it to Portland for the festivities let me know and maybe we might all get together.

Are you planning on being there? I certainly intend to. My brother lives in Portland, so I should have a place to stay.
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby JE Pettibone » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:33 pm

Joseph Patrick wrote:
JE Pettibone wrote:

Trudy;; I have always been intrigued by the concept of a created language, but I know nothing, zilch, zero, nada. I will welcome any suggestions on resources.
JE Pettibone

Postby Haruo » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:56 am

Trudy wrote:I have always been intrigued by the concept of a created language, but I know nothing, zilch, zero, nada. I will welcome any suggestions on resources.

Hi Trudy,
Do you know any languages other than English (including Koine and Biblical Hebrew)? Do you have a feel for grammar? If so, then you may find the "Sixteen Rules" of Esperanto grammar a useful starting point. They are not a complete grammar but they are a darn good summary of the main points. I learned them on the bus home from the bookstore where I'd bought my Esperanto book in the summer of 1970, and by the end of the week I was writing postcards. By the time I met other speakers some six months later, I was able to converse.

Popular sites for beginners include lernu.net and duolingo.com. If your local library has a book on Esperanto, that might be the route to take. David B. Richardson's Esperanto: Learning and Using the International Language and Cresswell & Hartley's Teach Yourself Esperanto are among the better ones for English-speaking learners.

You might read the Wikipedia article on Esperanto. (I might quibble about parts of it, but there's probably no better place to start if you want information about the language as distinct from help in learning it.) You might find the recent book Bridge of Words by Princeton literature professor Esther Schor a good read, too. Your library may have it or be able to ILL it for you.

The (Protestant-canon) Bible is available various places online, such as at steloj.de. Most of the major Deuterocanonicals are available in my online hymnal, TTT-Himnaro Cigneta, archived at geocities.ws and elsewhere. You may find the hymnal useful for hymns to sing; singing is very useful in language learning. Here's a list of some by English title, and here is a list of Christmas (and Advent~Epiphany) songs. Most Saturday mornings (at 8 am Seattle time) I attend an online prayer service originating at a Roman Catholic church in Prague. Here is this morning's service (actually this evening's; it is held 5 to 5:30 pm Prague time.) I'd invite you to join me any Saturday.

If you have any more questions or anything, feel free to ask!
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby JE Pettibone » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:02 am

Trudy: Thank you for the information. I have studied 8 languages, including Hebrew and Greek, and have used these as recently as my former pastorate. Can't really say I "know" any other than English, but have good English skills. I will investigate the resources.
JE Pettibone

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum