[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - 9 Things that worked in the church a decade ago...

9 Things that worked in the church a decade ago...

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

9 Things that worked in the church a decade ago...

Postby Sandy » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:53 am

that don't work today.

http://careynieuwhof.com/9-things-worke ... ork-today/

Lots of this stuff floats around. Personally, I'm of the opinion that what works in the church is actually being a church, with a mission and purpose that is centered in what Jesus defined as the Ecclesia. Most of the stuff around like this is based more on the adaptation of business marketing techniques than on relationships that form a genuine group of people who are a body of Christ.
Sandy

Re: 9 Things that worked in the church a decade ago

Postby William Thornton » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:56 pm

The flat assertion that certain specific things don't work anymore deserves the rejection of the entire article. If the title is a hook,then the author violates his own principle (gimmicks don't work).

Bah humbug on this entire genre. I read this stuff everywhere all the time. Often it is little more than chest thumping. Every now and then a small nugget is found.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Re: 9 Things that worked in the church a decade ago...

Postby Haruo » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:22 pm

Clickbait.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:55 am

Like most lists, this one is in the writer's context. It has the same problem that I have had with experts who always arrived with a package in a briefcase. I used to do adult Sunday School training. One of the first things I learned was that my context, or the context of the latest guru for a great program might offer nothing in the context where I was working. Having done interim work now since 2009, I have seen many different models in churches where I have gone. What has impressed me most is the necessity to read the context of a ministry before becoming the "answer man."
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:37 pm

We used Nieuwhof’s book in our Long Range Planning Group. I can't say it was real useful but did provoke some thoughts about what is wrong with our church (mainly our church is too stuck on past glory days - still a problem my opinion).

I notice the 9 things said in the link above (Jan 2016) are quite different from the 7 conversations we were supposed to have, or the ten reasons why churches don’t grow in his 2015 book.

We have recognized that we have not kept up with the computer revolution (a point Nieuwhof makes) and are trying to make more use of websites, TV displays in SS classes.

Our efforts are now on getting people in our doors with a set of classes - the Discovery Center. Starts Feb 27. Don’t know if it will work or not. See attached draft flyer. We are also putting example worship services (including our excellent Choir) on our website (not yet accomplished yet)
Attachments
DC Mailer.pptx
(116.5 KiB) Downloaded 188 times
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum