'Tis the Season for Busy Planning....

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

'Tis the Season for Busy Planning....

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:48 pm

Well, I think I now have the worship orders ready for Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year's eve and New Year's Day. So I'm starting to feel a little less snowed under....
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
My Blog - http://timbonney.com
User avatar
Tim Bonney
Site Admin
 
Posts: 5863
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:17 am
Location: Indianola, Iowa

Re: 'Tis the Season for Busy Planning....

Postby Haruo » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:07 pm

Good job! I fell way behind in my Advent hymn series this past week, but I almost caught up last night and should be all caught up this evening.
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
User avatar
Haruo
Site Admin
 
Posts: 12127
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2004 7:21 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: 'Tis the Season for Busy Planning....

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:47 pm

Haruo wrote:Good job! I fell way behind in my Advent hymn series this past week, but I almost caught up last night and should be all caught up this evening.


Now planning a funeral for the 30th that just came along. Life and death don't slow down for holidays.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
My Blog - http://timbonney.com
User avatar
Tim Bonney
Site Admin
 
Posts: 5863
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:17 am
Location: Indianola, Iowa

Re: 'Tis the Season for Busy Planning....

Postby Haruo » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:16 pm

Timothy Bonney wrote:
Haruo wrote:Good job! I fell way behind in my Advent hymn series this past week, but I almost caught up last night and should be all caught up this evening.


Now planning a funeral for the 30th that just came along. Life and death don't slow down for holidays.

No, in fact if anything, life speeds up and death becomes more of an intrusion.
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
User avatar
Haruo
Site Admin
 
Posts: 12127
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2004 7:21 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: 'Tis the Season for Busy Planning....

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:32 pm

Most congregations have a lot of older members. So some years I average a couple of funerals a month. That's just the way it is.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
My Blog - http://timbonney.com
User avatar
Tim Bonney
Site Admin
 
Posts: 5863
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:17 am
Location: Indianola, Iowa

Re: 'Tis the Season for Busy Planning....

Postby Haruo » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:07 pm

Yep
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
User avatar
Haruo
Site Admin
 
Posts: 12127
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2004 7:21 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: 'Tis the Season for Busy Planning....

Postby KeithE » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:07 pm

I’m very busy developing a new program at our church called the Discovery Center. It is a series of classes aimed at spiritual discovery leading to improved lives and advancing the Kingdom. Have 9 classes set up to begin the week of Feb 27. Attached is the draft mailer.

I’m working on getting the instructors (mostly finished), fund raising, advertising material, mailing addresses, and classroom preparations.
Attachments
DC Mailer.pptx
(117.52 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
http://www.weatherly.org/discoverycenter
User avatar
KeithE
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8763
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:02 pm
Location: Huntsville, AL

Re: 'Tis the Season for Busy Planning....

Postby Haruo » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:13 pm

KeithE wrote:I’m very busy developing a new program at our church called the Discovery Center. It is a series of classes aimed at spiritual discovery leading to improved lives and advancing the Kingdom. Have 9 classes set up to begin the week of Feb 27. Attached is the draft mailer.

I’m working on getting the instructors (mostly finished), fund raising, advertising material, mailing addresses, and classroom preparations.

Looks pretty darn impressive and attractive from my viewpoint, but how do you pronounce Cente without the r?
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
User avatar
Haruo
Site Admin
 
Posts: 12127
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2004 7:21 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: 'Tis the Season for Busy Planning....

Postby KeithE » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:27 pm

Haruo wrote:
KeithE wrote:I’m very busy developing a new program at our church called the Discovery Center. It is a series of classes aimed at spiritual discovery leading to improved lives and advancing the Kingdom. Have 9 classes set up to begin the week of Feb 27. Attached is the draft mailer.

I’m working on getting the instructors (mostly finished), fund raising, advertising material, mailing addresses, and classroom preparations.

Looks pretty darn impressive and attractive from my viewpoint, but how do you pronounce Cente without the r?


Glad to have proofreaders, but I can’t find where “Cente” is, in the post or attachment.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
http://www.weatherly.org/discoverycenter
User avatar
KeithE
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8763
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:02 pm
Location: Huntsville, AL

Re: 'Tis the Season for Busy Planning....

Postby Haruo » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:59 pm

In the attachment, at the top under the stylized Mogen David.
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
User avatar
Haruo
Site Admin
 
Posts: 12127
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2004 7:21 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: 'Tis the Season for Busy Planning....

Postby Haruo » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:05 pm

Here's a screenshot: Image
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
User avatar
Haruo
Site Admin
 
Posts: 12127
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2004 7:21 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: 'Tis the Season for Busy Planning....

Postby KeithE » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:17 pm

It looks fine on my screen with “The Discovery” on top of the icon and “Center” at the bottom. It is in PowerPoint (.pptx file) and I think the text box that is grouped with the icon is too small on your machine perhaps due to a conversion to another program or computer.

I’ll .pdf it (as well as giving them the .pptx file) before sending to the Mailer outfit which is also going to apply some professional design looks to it with differing colors and backgrounds and perhaps icon. It will be a two sided glossy mailer. $790 for quantity of 2000.

I also note that on your display the lettering within the brown “Classes Start Feb 27” box is white not black.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
http://www.weatherly.org/discoverycenter
User avatar
KeithE
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8763
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:02 pm
Location: Huntsville, AL

Re: 'Tis the Season for Busy Planning....

Postby Jim » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:21 pm

A Christmas hymn for today: http://www.clarkscorner.org/hymn120.pdf, and a thought attached of another Christmas when I was young.
Attachments
christmas1935.doc
(11.5 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
Jim
 
Posts: 3747
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:44 pm
Location: Lexington, Ky.

Re: 'Tis the Season for Busy Planning....

Postby Haruo » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:24 am

Jim wrote:A Christmas hymn for today: http://www.clarkscorner.org/hymn120.pdf, and a thought attached of another Christmas when I was young.

Thanks, Jim. Tune?
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
User avatar
Haruo
Site Admin
 
Posts: 12127
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2004 7:21 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: 'Tis the Season for Busy Planning....

Postby Jim » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:08 am

Haruo wrote:
Jim wrote:A Christmas hymn for today: http://www.clarkscorner.org/hymn120.pdf, and a thought attached of another Christmas when I was young.

Thanks, Jim. Tune?

The tune (BLAST) is all mine, too, nothing like O Little Town of Bethlehem. Here are a couple more Advent hymns. I used to write and use them to make my own Christmas-cards. http://www.clarkscorner.org/hymn26.pdf; http://clarkscorner.org/hymn29.pdf. Feel free to use them if they can be helpful.
Jim
 
Posts: 3747
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:44 pm
Location: Lexington, Ky.

Re: 'Tis the Season for Busy Planning....

Postby Haruo » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:32 pm

Sorry, I meant did you have a tune for the Christmas1935.doc piece?
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
User avatar
Haruo
Site Admin
 
Posts: 12127
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2004 7:21 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: 'Tis the Season for Busy Planning....

Postby Jim » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:08 am

Haruo wrote:Sorry, I meant did you have a tune for the Christmas1935.doc piece?


No tune for those verses resulting a few days ago during a fit of 80-year nostalgia...didn't give that a thought. I can't imagine a congregation singing Christmas 1935. I was five in 1935 and considered a candy-bar so precious that I actually took one to bed once, the better to both taste it occasionally and protect it from predators. A coke was as nectar from Mt. Olympus. Today, a coke is something else entirely. A number of LMD tunes such as SWEET HOUR would suffice, or here's one of mine set to another hymn: http://www.clarkscorner.org/hymn82.pdf. Here's another written long ago: http://www.clarkscorner.org/hymn23.pdf and not real legible.
Jim
 
Posts: 3747
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:44 pm
Location: Lexington, Ky.


Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron