[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - A different Allah

A different Allah

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

A different Allah

Postby Haruo » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:19 pm

In the now-locked thread on "Dominionism vs. Christianity", Jim made the assertion that "Allah" and "God" are two different entities, I am interested in knowing what he means by this. Since "Allah" is (an English transliteration of) the name used for centuries by Arabic-speaking Christians and Jews to refer to the God of the Bible, the Father of Jesus and Lord of Moses and David, I am trying to figure out whether this means that (in Jim's mind) Arabic-speaking Christians have been praying to a false god all these years. Timothy et al., please let Jim speak for himself here. It's fine to exercise chinmoku if you wish, but don't do it by talking over the conversation I'm trying to have here.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Re: A different Allah

Postby Joseph Patrick » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:50 pm

From Joseph Patrick aka Gerry Milligan
Harou, the ultra fundamentalists on the trustee board of the IMB, in their attempt to discredit "The Camel Method" were quick to try to have missionaries fired who used the word Allah...fortunately, this was one thing that Jerry Rankin stood up for. Could not say the same for BF&M of 2000 or whatever year it was that all missionaries had to sign or be fired.
When Bill Clinton lied, no one died...
Joseph Patrick

Postby Jim » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:15 am

Jim

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:34 am

OH DEAR! I managed to delete Dave's words about YHWH and substitute my comment below under Dave's name! I don't know when I last committed such an act of destructive vandalism here at BL.com! Dave, if you want to try to reconstruct your well-put post about Yahweh and Jehovah here, go ahead. I'll repost my comment about El below under my own name.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:00 am

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Jim » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:07 am

Jim

Postby Jim » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:20 am

Jim

Postby Haruo » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:20 am

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:21 am

And look up the Jewish temple at Elephantine (Aswan), where a polytheistic bunch of Gods alongside YHWH were worshipped, and YHWH had a divine consort. Was that the same God?

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:40 am

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:29 pm

Interesting that in a discussion of whether or not Allah of Islam is the same God as that of the Bible, no one has referenced the Koran. It certainly makes it clear that the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob is also the God of Issac and Ishmael (one reference) and the God of Abraham, Issac, Ishmael and Jacob (a second reference). I don't doubt that Mohammed's monotheism, or his use of the name "Allah" to describe who he believed was the same as the God of Abraham. The case for the name being the same, and the concept of a monotheistic, omnicient, omnipotent, omnipresent God being the same can easily be made.

As far as the essence of the character of Allah and Jehovah, or Yahweh, goes, if you ran a comparison of descriptions of the nature, character, and actions of God in the Old Testament, and the Muslim concept of Allah, you would find a lot of similarity. And while the New Testament doesn't change the nature or character of God, it does emphasize attributes and characteristic that are much different than the OT emphasis. Clearly, Mohammed was influenced greatly by the image of a wrathful, vengeful God who destroyed the enemies of the people who had gained his favor.

Are they the same God? Allah is not a genuine revelation of God, but is a creation of a god from the mind of a man who fancied himself to be his "prophet," discounting any of the other individuals who claimed to be prophets. Mohammed designed a god that was to his own benefit, who could be used to gain power by fear, different in that he more reflects the character and attitude of his creator than the God of the Bible, who possesses eternal power and divine nature. So I would say they have similar origins, but are not the same God.
Sandy

Postby Joseph Patrick » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:29 pm

From Joseph Patrick...aka Gerry Milligan,

Jim, where did you come up with: "Simple Definition of Islam: the religion which teaches that there is only one God and Mohammed is His prophet!" This is NOT, and I repeat, NOT the definition of Islam. The three letter root, S L M is the same root for the Arabic word Salaam, which means peace. So, I repeat my introductory question, where did you get your definition?
Joseph Patrick

Postby Jim » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:58 am

Jim

Postby Haruo » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:54 am

I'd be interested in Jon Estes's take on this.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:53 am

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Joseph Patrick » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:15 pm

From Joseph Patrick...aka Gerry Milligan

Jim, there are many errors when using an English language dictionary for words or phrases in another language. The familiar greeting in Arabic, <Salaam alaikum> means "peace be upon you." Conservatives are so quick to try to find fault with our president (Bowing to a Saudi prince) and totally excuse George H. W. Bush when he bowed to the prime minister of Japan. I oft times wonder when this is brought up, is it a conservative or racist thought?
When Bill Clinton lied, no one died...
Joseph Patrick

Postby Sandy » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:47 pm

Sandy

Postby Haruo » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:59 pm

In the aftermath of 9/11, while sitting up nights outside the Idriss Mosque in North Seattle, I kept nmyself awake by singing, i.a.,

I got wings, you got wings, Allah (God)'s chilluns got wings.
When we get to hebben.... etc.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:49 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:31 am

This was the plaque (above the door of the mosque) which inspired my song, and beneath which I sat and sang it.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:04 am

Good pic Hauro. :)
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:07 am

Sandy

Postby Tim Bonney » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:51 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Jim » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:38 pm

Jim

Postby Joseph Patrick » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:00 pm

From Joseph Patrick ... aka Gerry Milligan,
Jim, I appreciate how you are trying to answer my statement about use of language. Also, I was aware that Pres Bush #41 became ill at a state dinner, and that was unfortunate. But, if you look at his arrival at the palace, he did bow. But, what does Japan's activities during WW II have to do with our conversation? As you try to obfuscate the issue, I bid you a fond farewell.
Joseph Patrick

Next

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum